Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Anybody Playing In West End Lake Erie Next Weekend?? >

Anybody Playing In West End Lake Erie Next Weekend??

Notices

Anybody Playing In West End Lake Erie Next Weekend??

Old 06-25-2002, 09:00 AM
Registered

Received 1,820 Likes on 712 Posts
Question Anybody Playing In West End Lake Erie Next Weekend??

Just finished the heart transplant in my dead motor and ran 1/2 a tank of gas through it yesterday and I'm Jones'n for the "Big Lake"!
Don't have the time or the money but I don't usually let that stop me
Probably (if I go) launch from Mazurks access by Marble Head and run for Pelee.
If the Lake lets me, probably shoot for Leamington as well.
Anyone going to be in the area and or interested in trying to hook up some where??
How about you guys on the North Shore
Also, any of you U.S. guys run over to Canada yet to see if and how Customs has changed??
I've been over once, early in the season (Pelee) but the island was shut down, including the phones so I never coould check in!
Gary
Old 06-25-2002, 09:20 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Gary,
Check your e-mail
Old 06-25-2002, 10:22 AM
Registered

Thumbs up plans

After discussing with my first mate, looks like weather permitting, we'll toss the boat in Friday afternoon and then head straight for Leamington.
Spend Saturady cooking in the sun on the gorgeous beach on Point Pelee (at Leamington).
Then head to Pelee Island for Saturday night and probably spend that night at anchor on Fish Point on the South end of Pelee.'
And head for the South shore Sunday sometime.
Gary
Old 06-27-2002, 07:00 PM
Registered

Cool I think--

we should hit the water late Friday afternoon and we'll head North from there.
Weather is sounding incredible so far.
I think Friday night will be spent on the beach at Pelee Island witha bon fire, massive amounts of alcohal, and howling at the moon!!
Saturday cooking in the sun!!
Need a weekend of good weather and luck.
Have'nt had one yet!!
Gary
Old 06-27-2002, 10:18 PM
Registered

Twin OB..My buddies and I have been wanting to go to Pelee but Ime still not shure about the whole I68 thing. Where is the closest place to get them? also do you still have to check in w/customs before and after leaving Pelee even if you have an I68? I have heard so many different stories and rumors I am not shure what to believe. It seems that I cant get a straight answer from anybody and I want to go this weekend
Old 06-28-2002, 07:30 AM
Registered

Cool Thrill

Here's the poop.
Just talked to Leamington Marina which is on the North shore of the lake.
They said the procedure is the same over there as it has been. Which means borrow the Marina office's phone (they'll even dial for you) and call customs from there.
The girl I talked to did say that Customs officiers had been down on the docks more this year than before, but all they're doing is making sure you cleared Canadian Customs. (They've always done that)
The I-68 form is for the US side and the person I talked to in Leamington said that most of the Americans think it's a joke!!
They did this years ago as a way to try and get more of our tax money. They repealed it.
She said most of the Americans that she's talked to refuse to pay it and risk a ticket.
She says the US authorities can ticket us for being on Canadian ground and back w/o buying an I-68.
In my 20 years of going "over" it's never been more than a phone call on the Canadian side.
On our side, since "Slick Willy" cut the hell out of the Coast Guards budget, they don't have the funds to do any thing unless it's "life threatining". UNFORTUNATELY!!
I will let you know, how it goes this weekend.
One thing I can say about going over "there" is the people you have to deal with (Customs and Marina people) are the most laid back and polite as any one you will ever meet!!
Leamingtons Marina is probably the nicest on all of Lake Erie!
Huron Ohio's Marina used it as a model for their renovation.
I like going over there just to witness the service and professionalism.
On our side, soon as you get close to a freakin dock they've got their hand out. For money, not a dock line!!
Pelee (Scudder Marina) and Leamington, if you hail them by S/S radio on your way in, they'll give you directions to your dock and be there waiting on you!!
Leamington specifically, has mostly teen agers running the place.
These folks will ask if you want to "bow in, or stern in" and then tell you which side to put lines on, and be waiting to help you tie up. (helps restore my faith in todays youth!)
They have let me tie up there for several hours (several times) when I run over for a beer. (a great run from the North end of Pelee/Scudder)
Try that at Kellies or P.I.B.!!
Thrill, what part central Oh, and what and where do you boat??
I run Erie as many weekends as I can get away and Alum and Buckeye sometimes through the week.
Gary
Old 06-28-2002, 10:42 AM
Registered

Gary... Ime live out in the middle of nowhere in Morrow Co. I mostly boat on Lake Erie. Some times I go to Alum Creek during the weeke to blow off steam also on weekends when I have a bunch of frriends that want to go boating but cant get away for the entire weekend. I really want to go to Pelee some weekend My freinds and I are not quite old enough to legally drink in the U.S. yet, but we can in Canada. So do you think I should blow off the I68 thing and just go, Also do you have to tell U.S. customs when you are leaving the U.S. and inform Canadian customs when you are nearing the border?