Notices

Exhaust manifold temps

Old 06-25-2002, 10:43 AM
blackhawk

Default Exhaust manifold temps

I have been waiting for my drive to get rebuilt. In the mean time I wanted to fire the boat up and make sure everything was okay. So I boat a cheap hose, cut the end off and stuck it in the pickup in the gimbal housing. Turned the hose on and she fired right up. I let her run for a few minutes and everything was great. But, the starboard side exhaust manifold seemed to be running hotter than the port side(by feel). I only ran it for a few minutes and the water temp gauge never passed 120* but the star side was definitely hotter.

I did this about two weeks ago. My thinking was the hose didn't quite put enough water through the motor fast enough and the way the water circulated caused the port side to run cooler. But then I thought about it and realized that I never noticed it in the past with my drive on running muffs. Plus it sure seemed to be spewing plent of water out of the exhaust. Any thoughts or ideas?

Old 06-26-2002, 04:54 PM
Toxic FORMULA
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've seen this too. Even on the cuffs , if you just let it idle and there is slightly less resistance for the water on one side as compared to the other , it will go the easier way. I have Bravos so I'm still going through the seawater pump. I either hit the throttle a couple of times or pinch off the cool side for 5 or 10 seconds and this has always solved the problem. Good luck
Old 06-26-2002, 05:31 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In my Donzi (5.7L), the port side ran cooler and in the Fountain (HP500), it's the starboard.
Old 06-26-2002, 10:57 PM
blackhawk

Thanks. That's what I figured but I never noticed it with the muffs.