M3 SC Procharger Flush out. "Running Hot" >

M3 SC Procharger Flush out. "Running Hot"

Notices

M3 SC Procharger Flush out. "Running Hot"

Old 04-01-2012, 05:24 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default M3 SC Procharger Flush out. "Running Hot"

Recently i ran into 1.5 ft of water in my 27 Baja 509 m3 sc Procharged here in Florida and sucked sand into my -2 Imco shortie with low water pick-up. My temp went to 180 and i shut her down. I got back to the marina and pulled hoses and flushed oil cooler and block and anything else that could be flushed out. I removed water pump and found 2 fins missing off impeller. " the fins were caught in the housing" I replaced with new pump and the ***** still runs hot. The water being discharged from the Procharger hardly flows at all. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Old 04-01-2012, 07:47 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Also check the water pick up at the transom (inside of boat) I think it 7/6 11mm bolt,they clog all the time. You can backflush the drive when its off. You really need to take all hises off and open block drains, as said you probably have some sand inside the block.
Old 04-01-2012, 07:49 PM
Registered

Thanks, I have pulled them out several times, I have even ran the engine with the plugs out for about 30 sec. All seems clear. What is normal temp for a 509 with pro charger at 3300 rpm's ?
Old 04-01-2012, 08:16 PM
Registered

I have never heard of a water pick-up inside the boat, where would i find it?
Old 04-01-2012, 08:34 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pacalim1965@yaho
I have never heard of a water pick-up inside the boat, where would i find it?

I am assuming you have a similar set up as a bravo, follow the sea water pump hose back to the transom. Where it attaches disconnect and inspect. They clog a lot its possible it was slightly clogged before and a small amount of debris closed it off enough to raise the temp. What thermostat do you have 140 /160 ? 180 is not real hot,, but what did it run before? Also check different parts of the engine with a temp gun as dash gauges can be plus or minus 10 degrees. How was the housing pump? Is it scored you may even have a pressure problem not a restriction. Do you have good flow out of the exhaust? You will find it it just takes time, I did this once and it ended up some sand was keeping the thermostats from opening all the way so it could be as simple as that.
Old 04-01-2012, 09:30 PM
Registered

Thank You, I will check the hoses and see if i can find any restrictions, The boat used to run very cool, almost to cool 100 to 150 according to the gauge. I always assumed it was because of the PC. Not sure what thermostat is in it. I tried to get to the housing bolts but the Pro Charger parts were blocking it. I will try again tomorrow. Thanks again for all your help. I could call Mike Bandy and ask about stat size, This is his old boat. " indy whsle"
Old 04-02-2012, 08:35 PM
Registered

Since it is procharged I am going to guess you do not have a water pump on the front of the motor and the sea water is going in the front of engine with no thermostat. When running procharger you want the motor cool to help keep if from detonatioin.

The first thing that always comes to mine when someone says they replaced the impeller and overheats after is they did not get all of the impeller parts out. I would double check with the coments above. Pull drain plugs in block, should be NO sand that comes out, just water.

When you cleaned the coolers did you remove them or just try to flush them still installed.

You might take the impeller apart again to verify it did not fry.
Old 04-03-2012, 10:06 AM
Registered

I did not remove the oil cooler, I popped the hose off and flushed the sand out, When i pulled the old pump housing there were two impeller fins stuck in the housing slots, I checked the impeller and only 2 fins were missing. So i believe i got all the pieces. Where should the temp be on this set up?