Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
How many boating accidents can you guys count this year?? >

How many boating accidents can you guys count this year??

Notices

How many boating accidents can you guys count this year??

Old 06-25-2002, 10:42 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A friend of a friend stuffed his 80+ mph Magnum , oil canned the sides and popped the deck up. No injuries .
Old 06-25-2002, 10:46 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Any more than 0 is too many. Boat smart, Boat safe.
Old 06-25-2002, 10:54 PM
Banned

This being my first year of performance boating, I have learned a lot about safety, and where potential pitfalls may lie. Who knows, this site may have already saved my life and I just don't know it. Of course, I think it has made me a bit paranoid too.
Old 06-25-2002, 11:02 PM
Donnie

Thumbs down

So far this year on Pleasant that I know of..

1)Big Formula..lost a guy over the bow and killed him..alcohol
2)Big Sea ray...at night hit some rocks,threw lady over bow and decapitated her..alcohol
3) Two jet skiers hit...one killed..alcohol
4) Motion Cat...roll..4 hurt,1 seriuosly..no alcohol

I think there have been a couple of others but I'm not sure.

Not a good way to start the summer

Donnie

Old 06-25-2002, 11:12 PM
Registered

Unhappy boating accidents

If is wern't for OSO and a few other sites many of these accidnets serious or not, would remain regional, not national. I'm probably aware of twice the number as already mentioned.
As a reminder of the power of these sites, think back a few month to the Bayliner/dealer incident in NorCal. That got cleared up and dissapeared within a week. The sharing of information, although sometimes excessive, is probably good in the long run...
Old 06-26-2002, 01:22 AM
Registered

There was also a 42' Formula that ran into and through a Sea Ray then busted up the dock at night. They found the guy walking about a mile from the scene...alcohol related.
Old 06-26-2002, 02:16 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Glad to hear every one will be alright.

I don't think speed kills, it's the boat owner and operators responsibilty to make sure that the boats are not operated beyond there limits(the limit of the boat and of the operator) it sounds like in this latest incident that someone unfamilliar with the boat tried to turn it at a speed that was faster than it should have been turned at, 100 mph in a straight line isn't a problem for that hull but 100 sideways is.

This is like an incident that occured the day before the Spring Heatwave Poker run in Havasu, a Nordic dealer was showing a customer how to drive his new boat, he thought that the customer understood that he could not crank the wheel at full throttle, the customer was driving his new boat and saw another Nordic going the other way and cranked the wheel hard left to turn around and follow it, the result was that the bow caught and the boat spun, the dealer ended up bouncing off the dash and back into the bolster then being shot out of the boat and landing in the water, very bruised but lucky to be alive this was in a 35 Nordic Flame with 575scs. The operator of that boat made a large mistake and we will all pay for it in our insurance costs.

I agree that we hear more about these incidents because of sites like this.

Please everybody be safe.

Caleb
Old 06-26-2002, 06:59 AM
Registered

There were 2 over the weekend in the Grand Rapids area. One at Gun Lake - a 23 year old guy drove his boat into the back of one carry a grandma, lady and baby and actually ended up driving right over their boat. The other one was I think at Muskegon Lake in the channel to the big lake. A 21 year old driver with his 19 year old girlfriend slammed into the wall at 4 in the morning.

It was in the paper that the drivers from both accidents were arrested and charged for driving under the influence!!!! When will these people learn. I don't think anyone from either of these accidents were seriously hurt, but they could have all been killed!!
Old 06-26-2002, 08:11 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

You guys should have seen the carnage after the Cape Cod Race It does seem odd to see all this happening this year, however as I think it was Phantom said I think the board is bringing it all out. With out the board I would only know of maybe two of these accidents. Actually with out the board I would have never met Rick32 and Nort and the SCOPE crew so probably only one of them. Anyhow the good that has come of it for me is that I am now going through my boat so that if it ever hits the water I will be safer then before. I do always wear a lift jacket when I am out on the water by myself, but not when I am with others. Rick32's accident and talking to him makes me think that I should get those self inflatable ones and wear them all the time. Offhsore powerboating is dangerous but it does not have to be if we keep it within our limits.

Jon
Old 06-26-2002, 09:14 AM
Registered

Ime with Cuda ... I am new to performance boating as of last fall. I have had lots of seat time with smaller slower boats in my life so I figured my new on wouldnt be much different, just a little faster. Man was I wrong! My second time out I almost stuffed my bow because my K-Planes were buried when I came out of the water After that and after reading all the posts on here about accidents I am a hell of a lot more cautious about what I am doing and what is around me. I am convinced their is no replacement for seat time.

Quick Reply: How many boating accidents can you guys count this year??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.