Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
How many boating accidents can you guys count this year?? >

How many boating accidents can you guys count this year??

Notices

How many boating accidents can you guys count this year??

Old 06-26-2002, 10:22 AM
Gumbydammit

Unhappy

Funny thing about these accidents..... many of them have to do with booze.
If people would wait for night/anchor/go-to-bed time to booze it up, I bet there would be less than half of the accidents.
I wonder if you took away all the booze crashes, how many would be left?

This might be harsh to say, but often when people die in a crash, the medical examiner leaves out the drunk/not drunk detail, unless there are others killed or hurt.

This past weekend, (I will call him "Mr. Beer") loading his boat with a beer in his hand, (right after an 11 year old girl drowned..not two miles from the launch where he was..) has his toddler walking all over the boat with no life jacket on.
Watched as a dickhead went by and left a wake..... POW! off the swimdeck came the kid, misssing the drive by a hair and right under he went. Mr. Beer, AKA daddy, was not even aware. He was showing off his boat and talking to the ladies at the front while two people waited patiently for thier turn. If it was not for a fisherman docking his boat who trashed his wallet, shoes and let his boat go to jump in and grab the kid.....I think there would have been two kids dead on the CT river. I certainly could not get to the kid fast enough and Mr Beer did not even pay attention to the screams coming from the water. He was too busy looking at the ladies.

I would have called the cops and had the guy hauled in cuffs.

Speed may kill, but when you booze you REALLY lose!

Old 06-26-2002, 11:10 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Gumbydammit
[B]Funny thing about these accidents..... many of them have to do with booze.
If people would wait for night/anchor/go-to-bed time to booze it up, I bet there would be less than half of the accidents.
I wonder if you took away all the booze crashes, how many would be left?

This might be harsh to say, but often when people die in a crash, the medical examiner leaves out the drunk/not drunk detail, unless there are others killed or hurt.

This past weekend, (I will call him "Mr. Beer") loading his boat with a beer in his hand, (right after an 11 year old girl drowned..not two miles from the launch where he was..) has his toddler walking all over the boat with no life jacket on.
Watched as a dickhead went by and left a wake..... POW! off the swimdeck came the kid, misssing the drive by a hair and right under he went. Mr. Beer, AKA daddy, was not even aware.

First thing I do when we put the boat in at the ramp is put Brody's lifejacket on. And he knows too because he says "Need my lifejacket Mommy". We were anchored out a couple of weeks ago and I took his jacket off to take his t-shirt off. He started freaking out. What an ******* that guy is!!!! And he didn't even notice the kid fell off. He should not be allowed to take the kid out anymore!!!
Old 06-26-2002, 12:36 PM
Uncle Toys

First off, the statistics show there are actually fewer accidents each year for the last 10 years or so (see my post a couple of months ago). Also, the speed thing is not a significant contributor. Nort’s right, it’s just that we are dialed in nationally now so it appears worse than it is. I only mention this because I don’t want some politician feasting on our sport. Read the data and be an ambassador for our sport.

Second, as I have nagged many times before, we are not getting info on these accidents to help us learn. I understand when everyone is killed in an accident e.g. HTM, it’s probably impossibly to find out why. But now we have a couple of accidents where the drivers survived AND OSO members know them.

If your reading this and know the drivers – SAVE A LIFE. Talk them into telling us their stories – please!

Sorry, I’ll get off my soap box now.

Old 06-26-2002, 01:03 PM
Gin and Sonic

I have 2nd hand info, but the A-Bay poker run this past weekend had a 27' Fountain wipe out after he hit a ferry wake. Driver got bounced out of the seat, the boat takes a left and hits another boat. They were only going 40-50 mph.