Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
How many boating accidents can you guys count this year?? >

How many boating accidents can you guys count this year??

Notices

How many boating accidents can you guys count this year??

Old 06-25-2002, 07:47 PM
Registered

Received 2,969 Likes on 981 Posts
Default How many boating accidents can you guys count this year??

It just seems like the number is abnormaly high. I was wondering how many we can come up with.....

You have,

HTM accident
the motion cat accident
the Hallet they posted on here a few days ago
Ricks stuff

It's like someone said earlier...seems like every Monday theres a report of an accident

Which others do you guys know about???
Old 06-25-2002, 07:51 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Spectre roll on the East Coast
Old 06-25-2002, 08:04 PM
Registered

El Tanko-

I would have to say that there aren't THAT many more than normal. I think we just hear more about these high perf ones more now just because of this OSO site. If it wasn't for this, I would only know of one this year, maybe two.

Are you talking about injury accidents only, because I did get a little cut on my knuckle from a hose clamp a couple of months ago.

Old 06-25-2002, 08:10 PM
Registered

Received 2,969 Likes on 981 Posts

I suppose you are right Nort....But it is an eye opener and if anything can be good out of these accidents it is to learn from them and prevent more from happening.
Old 06-25-2002, 08:42 PM
Registered

El Tanko-

I totally agree with you. Lots to learn from these things. By the way, I did move that sharp edge on the hose clamp out of the way so as to not get cut again.

Interesting post though......we'll have to see what else pops up here! Hope to see you guys on the 4th before you go to the islands. You know, if I had to, I can pack a bag pretty quickly for traveling.
Old 06-25-2002, 08:42 PM
Charter/Platinum Member
Charter Member

Unhappy

It seems that there have been more serious ones this early in the year. don't forget the three brothers who got killed when their 36 Skater went over off of SeaIsle City NJ in May. The boats just keep on getting faster. The need for speed will always be there and unfortunately - SPEED KILLS!!!
Old 06-25-2002, 09:54 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I really believe that a large part of what seems to be a bunch of accidents is this board and other forms of Internet communication. We have a huge group here that has one common interest. We have an amazing network across the country and this allows us to learn about these accidents from people close to them. In some ways I think it also affects us more because of the feeling of friendship we develop with other members and devotees of the sport. There is also the "there but for the grace of God" thing going on with all of us.

It would be fantastic if just one person, in one boat, in one place sees one of these threads and changes a habit that saves them from injury or death. The fact that hundreds of people may be just a little safer or a little more cautious is one of the greatest things about this site. Thanks OSO
Old 06-25-2002, 10:01 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There was the guy with the 24 Pantera in Jersey this year as well. I was just tyring to recall all of the accidents I'd heard about this year.

Last edited by rainmn; 06-25-2002 at 10:06 PM.
Old 06-25-2002, 10:04 PM
Wildfire

We had a Bayliner burn to the water line at the launch ramp. Took the locals an hour to put it out.

The mother saved the day by beaching the boat and running back in to get her three kids out. Husband was parking the truck.

Other than that, there have been numerous drownings this year. My buddy on the Sheriff's dive team says it is because of our unusually high water levels this spring.

That's why the magnum is high and dry on the trailer. My wife thinks it is because it doesn't have any wiring. I just did that for safety purposes.

Old 06-25-2002, 10:39 PM
wilerty

I think there have been way too many accidents this year and feel it will do nothing but get worse. I think the use of much larger engines(especially in smaller boats), stepped hulls, cats, poker runs, etc is creating a serious safety problem for performance boating. People are going way too fast without enough seat time and experience to handle their boats. A lot of people buy new Corvettes every year ... but they don't run out and drive them 150mph. The way things seem to be going this problem may solve itself if we aren't careful ...

First will be insurance. All these claims will make it VERY expensive if not impossible to insure our boats. Just watch and see ... this won't take long to happen.

Next will be the government trying to protect us with speed limits. If we keep crashing it will happen.

Our destiny in performance boating may be determined by several unfortunate accidents. Many excesses have happened in recent years. The amount of horsepower and top speeds attainable by performance boats in very recent years is scary.
Just think back and remember what a fast boat was in 1995.

JMHO

Quick Reply: How many boating accidents can you guys count this year??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.