#1 boat gets beached, #2 'pro' pulls boat off beach, #3 boat rolls and sinks >

#1 boat gets beached, #2 'pro' pulls boat off beach, #3 boat rolls and sinks

Notices

#1 boat gets beached, #2 'pro' pulls boat off beach, #3 boat rolls and sinks

Old 04-11-2012, 10:11 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 179 Likes on 66 Posts

I have my boat insurance with Boat/US and they've always been really good. And Tow Boat/US is usually really good too. Just goes to show that in any population, there are some idiots.

It will be real interesting to see if this story shows up in Seaworthy - their monthly magazine. I'm betting it won't.
Old 04-11-2012, 11:05 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Their is nothing to worry about. He has a rope to tow the boat and a horn if anybody gets in the way as it is about roll over.
Old 04-11-2012, 11:10 AM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by Too Stroked
I have my boat insurance with Boat/US and they've always been really good. And Tow Boat/US is usually really good too. Just goes to show that in any population, there are some idiots.

It will be real interesting to see if this story shows up in Seaworthy - their monthly magazine. I'm betting it won't.
They are fine for general towing you just need to be aware of how things are worded when an indecent occurs. Always be very very clear that they are towing and look at all paperwork on site. The second they can add in some kind of distress or peril in even the slightest way is where they start to push big numbers and you might not even see it. Document everything on your own with pics and video if possible.

This tow even if though they can classify as a salvage shows ridiculous negligence on there part and damage far beyond anything that would be considered reasonable. Great job shooting the pics AppSysCon hope they get into the right hands.
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )

Last edited by glassdave; 04-11-2012 at 11:14 AM.
Old 04-11-2012, 11:26 AM
SORE MEMBER
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by glassdave
They are fine for general towing you just need to be aware of how things are worded when an indecent occurs. .

LOL, I know this is a typo, but good advice regardless
Old 04-11-2012, 01:25 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by Wobble
LOL, I know this is a typo, but good advice regardless
lol . . . an here i was gonna defend my self saying they really are fine for simple tows if you are a member then i re read it a couple times. Damn auto spell check/correct. Of course i meant incident but anything can happen in my group
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )

Last edited by glassdave; 04-11-2012 at 01:28 PM.
Old 04-11-2012, 02:38 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

If a bank holds the paper on that boat, I would think they have a good lawsuit against the towing operation. That boat easily could have been retrieved from the beach if need be. At least it shows complete negligence on their part. These pictures are priceless.
Old 04-11-2012, 03:09 PM
Mod Squad Enforcer
Charter Member

Received 795 Likes on 258 Posts

In the best words of Bill Engvall:

Here's your sign.

Only this time it reads TOWBOAT U.S.
Old 04-11-2012, 03:11 PM
Registered

I'm guessing you didn't stick around for part 2?
Old 04-11-2012, 06:58 PM
Registered

Default Jerryreliable

Firstly, I thank the person who took these photos, and particularly those most recently posted. Next I would like to say how bad I feel for these two salvage captains, who did an excellent job, but who are taking an opinionated beating from the members of this forum. Why, with so many experts here, it is a wonder there are any towing and salvage companies. Now, the man behind the wheel has worked with me over twelve years, has hundreds of salvages to his credit, and has rescued more people from the water than there are commenters on this thread. The captain working the beach has only 9 plus years with this company. I cannot tell you how many salvages he has done, but I do know he participated in over 230 salvages after Hurricane Charlie. So why, do you ask, did these men remove this vessel when they did? Well, the answer is in the pictures. look at the angle of the distressed vessel in each photo. Maybe check out that green hole developing on the low side of that cvessel as each wave washes it. What is happening? if you can figure that out, perhaps you know how the captain on the beach felt as he sunk in the sand next to the low side of the vessel, watching it heel over. So, where would that vessel have more damage, inverted on the beach, or inverted afloat? if you have gotten this far, you would probably be interested to know that the vessel is today intact on a trailer with the Hondas running and starting with the keyswitch. The owner was uninsured. He was quoted a low fixed price, with no up charge. please remember when you read these forums, that the men on these salvage and towing vessels are there to help you, whether they fly the red or the yellow banner. They will always do their best, in spite of what you might read here or elsewhere. And every year, at an annual towing and salvage conference, many awards are given out to these men, for their lifesaving efforts. The award is named after Captain Woody Pollock, who gave his life in the service. it has been awarded posthumously, since it's inception, to others who are no longer with us. The USCG Search and Rescue Commander presides over the award.
Old 04-11-2012, 07:24 PM
Registered

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

They should have stopped the minute the bow was facing the waves, and threw a pump in there, cleared the water and dragged it off the beach. Then there would have been no problems. Even if the engines are running now, all the electronics are now full of salt and the boat needs a lot of wiring work.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.