Looks like we dodged Endanger Species Bullet this time

Notices

Looks like we dodged Endanger Species Bullet this time

Old 06-26-2002, 09:18 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OT: Looks like we dodged Endanger Species Bullet this time

http://www.thesunlink.com/news/2002/...261whales.html

Last edited by NW_Jim; 06-26-2002 at 03:51 PM.
Old 06-26-2002, 11:13 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Interesting situation.
Just be glad you don't have Manatees up there.
Old 06-26-2002, 11:16 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 393 Likes on 141 Posts

NW Jim,
Good your you guys, BUT sounds like the whale-huggers are not going to give up! Who are the "People of Puget Sound" and what are they trying to accomplish?
MD
Old 06-26-2002, 11:37 AM
Registered

The interesting thing is that they are trying to make the Puget Sound Orcas a distinct species separate from the rest of the Orcas in the world. They are Orcas. Doesn't matter where they came from, they are all Orcas. I wonder how many Manatees there are worldwide? When we talk about endangered species, you have to consider the whole world, not just a specific area.

Dean,
I have not gotten involved yet, but I plan on it. We will need a voice for the boaters up here. The Whales are just one issue. The salmon, the grey squirrel etc. etc. etc. As far as I am concerned, alot of these people have lost their credibility due to the scandals about falsefying information about numbers of particular species and not being held accountable. Where do I start Dean? Someone hand me the baton and I will run with it.

I'll have to look into the People for Puget Sound. I have never heard of them. Maybe they are just SMC NW. Or would that be SWC.

Last edited by NW_Jim; 06-26-2002 at 02:40 PM.
Old 06-26-2002, 03:16 PM
Registered

I'm starting to find out more about the People for Puget Sound. I think now would be the best time to get involved before they even start thinking about what boats are doing to harm the fish.

Here is the latest.

****Media Advisory for: Thursday, June 27, 2002
SEATTLE, WA * A coalition of environmental groups including People For Puget Sound, the Washington Toxics Coalition and the Sierra Club is calling on Governor Locke and legislators to lead the way to orca whale recovery.

Even though the National Marine Fisheries Service has ducked the Endangered Species listing for Puget Sound's orcas, the state holds many of the keys to orca recovery. Enforcement of clean water laws, prevention of oil spills, phasing out and cleaning up toxic chemicals, and restoring wild salmon are all areas where the state can exercise leadership and make a huge difference for our whales.******

While I am all for saving Orcas and Salmon, I would like to make sure they don't get carried away. The last thing they did for the
Salmon was to make it illegal for anyone with waterfront property to build within 100 ft of the shoreline. This made some peoples property worthless. Then they allow the Indians to continue to deplete the Salmon almost at will.

Last edited by NW_Jim; 06-26-2002 at 03:18 PM.
Old 06-27-2002, 02:04 PM
Registered

3t's
Old 06-27-2002, 03:14 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 393 Likes on 141 Posts

NW Jim,
Sorry it took me time to respond to your post, but you are well on your way to finding out the truth! I check the SMC website a couple times a week and you should start monitering their, (People of Puget sound's) website, it's easy to see what they are up to next. Also, check the Sierra Club's website too. Another issue to look into is the non-profit status of this club, look to see if they are compliying with the Non-profit Regs for your state.
Finally, get your local ELECTED officals involved in this, they are the ones who will FEEL your dissatisfaction @ the polls, not the appointed officals!! Do you guys have a boaters/H2O waterfront property rights group going? After what the state did with the 100' deal, I bet you have a group already organized.
Good luck, and let me know if I can help out.
MD