Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   "Water Rage" suspects arrested! - Justice system works (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/27431-water-rage-suspects-arrested-justice-system-works.html)

C_Spray 06-26-2002 10:31 AM

"Water Rage" suspects arrested! - Justice system works

Here's good news on that beating case from Chesapeake Bay.
(Tough Luck, supertrash - Looks like the Justice system isn't quite as hopelessly broken as you'd like it to be.)

'River rage' suspects caught
* Two men allegedly assaulted boater

By Dewey Fox June 25, 2002

Two suspects in the assault of a boater at Ordinary Point last week have been apprehended.

Kenneth M. Maniscalco, 18, and Larry E. Coleman Jr., 22, both of the 600 block of Knights Island Road, Indian Acres, were arrested Saturday and Sunday respectively, the Cecil County Sheriff's Office said. Both men are being charged with one count of first-degree assault, three counts of second-degree assault, and reckless endangerment.

The two were wanted for allegedly assaulting Michael S. Cichocky, 32, last Wednesday evening while boating on the Sassafras River. Cichocky suffered head trauma and throat injuries in the assault and, according to the sheriff's office, is set to undergo surgery for a damaged windpipe. He was given a tracheotomy and is in stable condition at the University of Maryland Shock Trauma Unit.

Two people who were with Cichocky were assaulted in the same incident. Seth Frankel of Earleville was treated for a broken nose and two black eyes. Shelby Shahan of Georgetown, Md., was punched but not seriously injured, according to the sheriff's office.

Maniscalco and Coleman were tracked down after Cpl. Michael Holmes and Deputy First Class Adam Streight conducted an investigation.

Holmes and Streight, by interviewing witnesses, obtained the registration number of the boat on which the suspects had fled. The boat's owner was questioned and the its occupants were identified.

Other interviews were conducted with passengers of the suspects' boat, passengers on the victim's boat, and several residents of the Indian Acres community.

As a result of the investigation, Maniscalco and Coleman were named prime suspects. Investigators also discovered that the two men had skipped town and were staying in Delaware. According to Holmes' report, the two hd left when they learned of the investigation regarding them.

New Castle County (Del.) Police Department was notified of the suspects' presence and asked to assist in detaining them. Coleman already had an outstanding warrant in Delaware for traffic offenses, the sheriff's office said.

New Castle County Police reported they had arrested Coleman on Saturday and took Maniscalco into custody Sunday. The two men are being held at Gander Hill Prison in Wilmington, Del., awaiting extradition. The sheriff's office said Coleman is being held without bond and Maniscalco is being held on a $5,000 secured bond.

Cecil County Sheriff Rodney E. Kennedy credited the arrest to Holmes and Streight's dedication to tracking down the suspects. In a statement concerning the two officers, Kennedy said: "We're very pleased to have officers like Holmes and Streight on the force. They put a lot of work into this case and it paid off."

Kennedy also gave a nod to the individuals who were interviewed during the investigation, saying they were very cooperative and, more importantly, observant.

"Without observant citizens this case would have been much harder to close. We really need more of that," he said.

©Cecil Whig 2002

Back4More 06-26-2002 10:49 AM

;)

CigDaze 06-26-2002 11:09 AM

Glad to hear it! :cool:

supercrash 06-26-2002 11:16 AM

Sounds Fishy....Whats with the big follow up story and no explanation as to what started the whole thing...I doubt that these guys were just handing out random beatings , I would suspect that the victim did something stupid and was called on it...

bajabob38 06-26-2002 11:30 AM

Originally posted by supercrash
, I would suspect that the victim did something stupid and was called on it...
No crash, what the two suspects did was stupid. Ask them in ten years when they get out if it was worth it.

Shane 06-26-2002 11:39 AM

Originally posted by supercrash
Sounds Fishy....Whats with the big follow up story and no explanation as to what started the whole thing...I doubt that these guys were just handing out random beatings , I would suspect that the victim did something stupid and was called on it...
NEVER ceases to AMAZE me!:rolleyes: It ALWAYS easier to BLAME someone else for your own STUPIDITY! FACT is we DON'T know what cause teh situation. PERIOD! Maybe they were provoked, BUT that still does NOT justify their actions. Maybe they were just a bunch of punks who get off on being dicks! Those people unfortuantely do exist.:mad: :mad: :mad:

Gary Anderson 06-26-2002 11:50 AM

Maybe Supercrash is right. Maybe the guy cut them off, swore at them, or even gave them the finger. That would certainly justify holding a guy down, beating and kicking him till he's unconcious.
Supercrash, what trailer park do you live in?
Gary

GRH 06-26-2002 11:54 AM

Caught.... Good..... I'm always amazed how many "Punks" are out there that haven't gotten what they give yet.... but then thier usually no longer "Punks" once they get thier ass handed to them good ;)

rainmn 06-26-2002 12:18 PM

Glad to hear they got caught. Let's see how tough they are once they get to prison.

C_Spray 06-26-2002 01:35 PM

Absolutley a-maz-ing!

"Sounds fishy"? :rolleyes: Give the cops some time to finish the investigation and release the results. You'll notice that no one published any sort of wild allegations from the victims, although SC certainly stood up for the perpetrators (his heroes)and made the "appropriate" wild allegations against the victims. Oh, sorry - according to SC, the punks are the real victims here. Especially after they wind up being someone's "dates" in the big house. :D

SC - Go away and stay off of my posts. You pollute the thought stream with your idiotic drivel. Go take some anger management courses or play on the railroad tracks. Whatever you do, please, please, please do NOT go and buy a boat. Pathetic. :rolleyes: