Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Worst "High Performance" Boats Ever Built? >

Worst "High Performance" Boats Ever Built?

Notices

Worst "High Performance" Boats Ever Built?

Old 05-03-2012, 04:58 PM
Registered

Received 16 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by airpacker
i was showing this thread to a buddy last night and as he laughed, remembering all the "good times" i had with that pos, he reminded me of one more major issue with it.

During the second season i owned it, i dropped it off the trailer into a very deep lake and went and parked the truck and trailer.

Fired it up, eased it out of the ramp and idled out of the launch area. We were putting along and the bilge pump comes on. Strange, i just put the plug in on the trailer and there was no water in the boat. I lift the hatch and water is spitting up off the fan belts
I stick my hand in my pocket and nope, no plug there. Wtf?? Where is the water coming from. Well, the water is coming in faster than the pump can get rid of it and i think to myself, we are going swimming and this sucker is going down in over 100 feet of water. I spun the wheel and pointed it back to the ramp and used as much throttle as i dared. Beached the sucker on the concrete ramp and jumped in the water. Surprise!!! Not only is the plug not there but the entire fitting the plug threads into is gone leaving a 2" diameter hole in the transom. Surprise again, the screws that were holding it in were all stripped and the smear of plain jane rtv silicone that was really holding it in failed. After thought said i should have just let it sink but oh no, i had to save my boat. What a dumazz
rotflol!
Old 05-03-2012, 05:21 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yeah i can add to the switzer list i had a 22 foot 350 mag. the stringers were barely wetted out all the way with resin, the hull to deck joint was made with screws that liked to fall out, most of the deck hardware you could probably find in the walmart boat section.
Old 05-04-2012, 01:06 AM
Registered

Received 46 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Airpacker
I was showing this thread to a buddy last night and as he laughed, remembering all the "good times" I had with that POS, he reminded me of one more major issue with it.

During the second season I owned it, I dropped it off the trailer into a very deep lake and went and parked the truck and trailer.

Fired it up, eased it out of the ramp and idled out of the launch area. we were putting along and the bilge pump comes on. Strange, I just put the plug in on the trailer and there was no water in the boat. I lift the hatch and water is spitting up off the fan belts
I stick my hand in my pocket and nope, no plug there. WTF?? Where is the water coming from. Well, the water is coming in faster than the pump can get rid of it and I think to myself, we are going swimming and this sucker is going down in over 100 feet of water. I spun the wheel and pointed it back to the ramp and used as much throttle as I dared. Beached the sucker on the concrete ramp and jumped in the water. Surprise!!! Not only is the plug not there but the entire fitting the plug threads into is gone leaving a 2" diameter hole in the transom. Surprise again, the screws that were holding it in were all stripped and the smear of plain jane RTV silicone that was really holding it in failed. After thought said I should have just let it sink but oh no, I had to save my boat. What a dumazz
Love the part about beaching it on the concrete ramp. That's always good for the gel coat. I can't think of a worse place to have to beach a boat. It's the concrete version of a rasp.

It just never ends with this boatl.

Thank you for all the laughs.

Michael
Old 05-04-2012, 10:54 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael1
Love the part about beaching it on the concrete ramp. That's always good for the gel coat. I can't think of a worse place to have to beach a boat. It's the concrete version of a rasp.

It just never ends with this boatl.

Thank you for all the laughs.

Michael
Lake Muskoka. Concrete ramp or granite. Take your pick.

Just to add a little weirdness to the whole fiasco, if its not already weird enough, I ordered the boat from a place called Skinner's marina on the Trent Severn in Rosedale. Two years or so after I bought it, I heard a news story about the place. Seems the guy I bought it from, Ed Skinner found it necessary to shoot and kill the guy who he caught stoofing his old lady. Smart man that he was, he shoved the guy in his own car and drove it into the lake to sink it. Might have gotten away with it but, he used the boat ramp at his own marina to drive the car into the lake. Then he reported his car stolen.
Go figure.

Last edited by Airpacker; 05-04-2012 at 10:57 AM.
Old 05-04-2012, 12:34 PM
Registered

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Airpacker
Lake Muskoka. Concrete ramp or granite. Take your pick.

Just to add a little weirdness to the whole fiasco, if its not already weird enough, I ordered the boat from a place called Skinner's marina on the Trent Severn in Rosedale. Two years or so after I bought it, I heard a news story about the place. Seems the guy I bought it from, Ed Skinner found it necessary to shoot and kill the guy who he caught stoofing his old lady. Smart man that he was, he shoved the guy in his own car and drove it into the lake to sink it. Might have gotten away with it but, he used the boat ramp at his own marina to drive the car into the lake. Then he reported his car stolen.
Go figure.
You can't make that kind of stuff up.

buck
Old 05-05-2012, 10:00 PM
Registered

Received 559 Likes on 335 Posts

Originally Posted by fast fun 2
Anything offered with a 454/Alpha or a King Cobra.
454/Alpha was offered!? We hooked one up to an alpha in a 22' '78 Mark Twain. We knew it'd blow, eventually. The first time I took it out, it wasn't planing off very easily and was only turning 52mph. I took a look around and found one of the plugs wires was hanging into the bilge. I hooked it back up. I'd had to hammer the thing pretty hard before to get it on a plane with 7 cyl. So I wasn't thinking, and did it again. That thing reared up hard and was half way on a plane when that poor alpha blew up. I had the engine cover off and my buddy was sitting on the backwards facing chair behind me. He nearly fell into the motor and was clinging to the chair white as ghost when that thing reared up to plain off!

We later put a bravo on it. It ran 62 empty. We hammered it for a summer. My brother noticed some small stress cracks on the bottom underneath the gelcoat after that season. We never ran it again
Old 05-05-2012, 10:13 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Crossett
What's wrong with the 24CS?
They are gay.........
Old 05-06-2012, 06:50 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 178 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by Crossett
What's wrong with the 24CS?
Yea, that one probably didn't belong on the list as much as a few others did. They were well built and looked pretty cool (styled after the 47CS), but had a few issues. Working on the big block is beyond a royal PITA, interior space was rivaled by most phone booths of the day and in anything over a ripple, they rode like a floor jack. I will say thought that they do seem to be holding up well.
Old 05-16-2012, 06:52 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Twin O/B Sonic
Taylor Jet.
I replaced the 460 Ford for a customer and during the installation I noticed the fuel tank mount bolts appeared to come through the bottom and had no apparent bolt pads etc. I looked under neath the hull and sure enough it had four flat head bolts tun through the bottom into the angle pc's welded to the tank!!! We thought maybe it was customer done until the marina across the street had an identical boat in the their lot. I checked and it was identical.
Wow, I thought taylor had a good reputation. I laughed when I saw this thread as I thought about my jet.

It's from the Taylor LP mold but was built under the name Condor. Was NOT built well at all:
• Motor was not set up with advance on the timing
• the seat pedestals broke within a month
• the floor cracked after the first season
• water could get in around the belly tank but couldn't get out. had to drill weep holes in front of the motor to help with that.
• had other moisture issues that eventually rotted the tank.
• flimsy support under the deck
• lots of little things. the list could go on forever.

but the tank wasn't through-bolted to the hull!

But it is a gorgeous little boat. So I finally rebuilt the boat last year and now it's better than it ever. 10x better than new.

Last edited by socalstone; 05-16-2012 at 06:56 PM.
Old 05-19-2012, 01:32 PM
Registered

How about martini, p&d, bannana boat, regal velocity, mach 1, imperial 27"magnum knockoff", vip vindicators, larson senza, just to name a few.
All were garbage craft!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.