Notices

Solo Boating?

Old 04-17-2012, 09:52 AM
Registered

Received 63 Likes on 28 Posts
Default Solo Boating?

Most of our boating outings are with other performance boaters. One day runs or a group will get slips for thew weekends. And then there are the poker runs and such. It's great fun to run with other boats and socialize.

A few years ago when I was single I would often haul my boat to the ocean and go out all by myself. The ramps at the ocean harbors are seldom crowded, especially during the week. I could easily back down the ramp, pull the boat off the trailer and tie it up, then pull the truck out and wash down the trailer without being in anyone's way.

Once the truck was parked I could take my time checking everything on the boat, fire it up and cast off. It was nice to be able to have the time to kind of play around with the boat and check things out without any distractions.

Once out past the breakwater I could run as hard or leisurely as I wanted, go where I wanted or stay out as long as I wanted. It always gave me such a satisfying feeling to go for a hard run by myself.

Even cleaning the boat afterwards was relaxing. No one rushing me or getting in the way, asking what they can do to help or (sometimes) messing stuff up. You can take your time, running your hands over every inch of the hull, wiping and polishing the stainless, checking fittings and clamps on the engines.

Don't get me wrong, I love boating with friends and family and getting help with the clean up but sometimes it's nice just to be by yourself and on your own time schedule.

Am I a loaner or does anyone else go solo boating?
Old 04-17-2012, 10:01 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, I love it... Very relaxing ( when I get the chance ) I can clean, organize or whatever in peace. Very few people I know outside of my hard core boating friends actually care about keeping a boat nice... Most just power wash theirs after a season and call it good. Took my brother in law out once... Should have seen his face when I handed him the " shoe bag" and smiled
Old 04-17-2012, 10:11 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have no problem going out solo.
Old 04-17-2012, 10:11 AM
Registered
Gold Member

I like it as well and enjoy it for the exact same reasons as you do. Having the family on board is great too but they do not like to run the boat hard. They can also "get in the way" when cleaning. I have some OCD when it comes to cleaning the boat and actually prefer to do it by myself.
Old 04-17-2012, 10:22 AM
Registered

Received 72 Likes on 39 Posts

I'm with you. 90% of my boating is alone. I boat to relax. Most of the crowd I run with are more interested in getting to one spot, parking then drinking for the rest of the day. These folks aren't boaters just drunks with boating problems. I put my boat in the water to run it and run it hard not cocktail cruise.
Old 04-17-2012, 10:38 AM
Registered

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by bulletbob
I'm with you. 90% of my boating is alone. I boat to relax. Most of the crowd I run with are more interested in getting to one spot, parking then drinking for the rest of the day. These folks aren't boaters just drunks with boating problems. I put my boat in the water to run it and run it hard not cocktail cruise.
I wanna run with Bob sometime! "...drunks with boating problems..." That's a man after your own heart.
Old 04-17-2012, 10:50 AM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 39 Posts

Do it all the time and love it. Also one of the reasons I got a self inflating life vest and installed a lanyard.
Old 04-17-2012, 10:54 AM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

I've only done it a few times and I did enjoy it. I'd like to do it more but I am always concerned that if I break I don't have a buddy to help out/tow me back.
Old 04-17-2012, 11:08 AM
Registered

I love having a small boat for this reason, I can launch,dock,beach or whaterver ALONE!
love it!
Old 04-17-2012, 11:11 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 99 Likes on 53 Posts

+1
Originally Posted by bajafresh
most of our boating outings are with other performance boaters. One day runs or a group will get slips for thew weekends. And then there are the poker runs and such. It's great fun to run with other boats and socialize.

A few years ago when i was single i would often haul my boat to the ocean and go out all by myself. The ramps at the ocean harbors are seldom crowded, especially during the week. I could easily back down the ramp, pull the boat off the trailer and tie it up, then pull the truck out and wash down the trailer without being in anyone's way.

Once the truck was parked i could take my time checking everything on the boat, fire it up and cast off. It was nice to be able to have the time to kind of play around with the boat and check things out without any distractions.

Once out past the breakwater i could run as hard or leisurely as i wanted, go where i wanted or stay out as long as i wanted. It always gave me such a satisfying feeling to go for a hard run by myself.

Even cleaning the boat afterwards was relaxing. No one rushing me or getting in the way, asking what they can do to help or (sometimes) messing stuff up. You can take your time, running your hands over every inch of the hull, wiping and polishing the stainless, checking fittings and clamps on the engines.

Don't get me wrong, i love boating with friends and family and getting help with the clean up but sometimes it's nice just to be by yourself and on your own time schedule.

Am i a loaner or does anyone else go solo boating?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.