Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
How do I polish my lowre units & props? >

How do I polish my lowre units & props?

Notices

How do I polish my lowre units & props?

Old 06-27-2002, 12:10 AM
Uncle Toys

Default How do I polish my lower units & props?

My cool polished lower units and props are getting tarnished (is that the right term?). I have tried polishing by hand with Mothers, but that is extreme work – especially in this heat. What kind of machine buffer should I get and how do you do the props?
Attached Thumbnails How do I polish my lowre units & props?-dull-lower-unit-prop.jpg  

Last edited by Uncle Toys; 06-27-2002 at 04:14 PM.

Old 06-27-2002, 12:17 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I wonder what is in the water that causes that? Is the water there real hard? I wonder if like a CLR or something like that would work. You could opt to loose maybe a little speed and wax them. Maybe a coat of Rainex or something like that. Never Dull would be my last suggestion for getting them clean and keeping them that way. Those lowers look SO nice.

Jon
Old 06-27-2002, 12:18 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Oh and if all that faild your daughters can do it for you!!! Remember to tell that that is the price of driving dads toy
Old 06-27-2002, 12:28 AM
Uncle Toys

Jon, don't you sleep? Little Princess helps all the time, she especially likes to detail the transom.

Yes, Havasu (and the river) water is well known for being hard. Really works over the props quickly.

What I really need is some kind of power tool. Somebody out there must polish props - don't they use some tool?

Old 06-27-2002, 12:51 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On the props, I would start with ON-OFF hull cleaner and a brush to remove the mineral deposits. Then I would use a 6" air sander with a polishing pad to do the lowers and the wheels. Other than that it's nothing but elbow grease......sorry, that's all I know.
Robert
Old 06-27-2002, 12:51 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Buffing wheel bro

I sleep but when it is 100 degrees and 30000000000% humidity then it is hard to. Fan is not working well. I should go down to the shop and fire up the AC down there
Old 06-27-2002, 01:03 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Default Havasu Water

U.Toys,
Every one says salt water is hard on your boat but when I come home it rinses off, after being at Havasu it takes a while but that stuff wears off in the salt water up here.

Soooo, trailer that thing up here and play in the salt with it and that stuff will just wear off.

Your boat will be even faster too!!!

See ya at the fall heatwave,

Caleb
Old 06-27-2002, 01:49 AM
stevejohns

there is an angle grinder style of pro grade buffer. It looks just like a angle grinder but has a vari speed throttle. It works great on the hull too.

Old 06-27-2002, 03:16 AM
kwb
Registered

http://www.bright-works.com/store/html/index.html
Old 06-27-2002, 07:31 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 393 Likes on 141 Posts

Muratic Acid will clean the deposits off the prop, and wash down with H2O, dry and spray WD-40 on them. Just be careful where you use the Muratic Acid, it will leave a Mark!
MD

Quick Reply: How do I polish my lowre units & props?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.