Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
DS- Predator or Risky Business- 1st Card Stop? >

DS- Predator or Risky Business- 1st Card Stop?

Notices

DS- Predator or Risky Business- 1st Card Stop?

Old 04-27-2012, 10:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah 100% agree, fact is someone will be first to the stop, even with removing the thread someone will try to be #1 and that was the question. These guys don’t spend that kind of money and have that much HP to run 60 mph. I am not in any way saying to go out there and race, but when the boats take off who are you trying to kid they don’t want to be number 1? Okay we will close our eyes and pretend they will all run 60 mph when we all know the truth along with the insurance companies. Again not trying to turn it into a race but be real guy’s...

Last edited by sunsation96; 04-27-2012 at 10:44 AM.
Old 04-27-2012, 11:03 AM
NorTechNorth.com
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sunsation96
Yeah 100% agree, fact is someone will be first to the stop, even with removing the thread someone will try to be #1 and that was the question. These guys don’t spend that kind of money and have that much HP to run 60 mph. I am not in any way saying to go out there and race, but when the boats take off who are you trying to kid they don’t want to be number 1? Okay we will close our eyes and pretend they will all run 60 mph when we all know the truth along with the insurance companies. Again not trying to turn it into a race but be real guy’s...
In no way do I expect the guys with big Skaters to run 60 mph all day. I am not closing my eyes and pretending. That was not the point I was making with the 60 mph comment. We are simply promoting the part of the sport that doesn't need the promotion.

The feedback I get from the outside is that we are building a society of exclusion in the poker runs. Someone with a 27 Baja should not feel like they are unable to do a poker run. In reality, when I see someone in a small boat show up to a run, they are usually treated with respect and have a great time. But they are not showing up because they think they can't.

Unfortunately, when I invite someone with a single engine boat to a poker run, they usually look at me like I have two heads.

If I had a single engine 60 or 70 mph boat and had never been to a run, saw a thread like this one while trying to decide whether to go to the run or not, I'd be out. " Are you crazy? I can't run with those kinds of boats."

Here is the huge problem created by the lack of smaller boats coming out: We are killing our "feeder system." The people with 52 Outerlimits and 388 Skaters and 40 Nor-techs that we see at poker runs generally started out in 27 Formulas and 29 Fountains or similar boats. They didn't start in huge fast offshores.

The image we are projecting is like telling a 6 year old to not bother picking up a baseball bat unless he can hit the ball 420 feet over the center field fence in Yankee Stadium.

We need people who are new to the sport coming to the runs in the kind of boats that people who are new to the sport buy. Otherwise we will die of attrition.

Last edited by Double R Performance; 04-27-2012 at 03:00 PM.
Old 04-27-2012, 11:13 AM
Registered

Received 791 Likes on 221 Posts

Having been through an accident at a large Poker Run (Big Cat '06) I can tell you guys firsthand that if you have an accident at one of the events, the repercussions will be far more reaching than any of you probably realize. The insurers that cover all of your boats know way more than you think they do, and other participants in these runs have $$$ in their eyes the minute something goes wrong. There are many reasons why nobody has seen my boat at a Poker Run since my accident, and most all are not the rumors that float around. The risks and people involved with these events are just not worth it IMO. I hope the run goes well and everyone has a fun and safe weekend!
Old 04-27-2012, 11:27 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Double R Performance
In no way do I expect the guys with big Skaters to run 60 mph all day. I am not closing my eyes and pretending. That was not the point I was making with the 60 mph comment. We are simply promoting the part of the sport that doesn't need the promotion.

The feedback I get it that from the outside is that we are building a society of exclusion in the poker runs. Someone with a 27 Baja should not feel like they are unable to do a poker run. In reality, when I see someone in a small boat show up to a run, they are usually treated with respect and have a great time. But they are not showing up because they think they can't.

Unfortunately, when I invite someone with a single engine boat to a poker run, they usually look at me like I have two heads.

If I had a single engine 60 or 70 mph boat and had never been to a run, saw a thread like this one while trying to decide whether to go to the run or not, I'd be out. " Are you crazy? I can't run with those kinds of boats."

Here is the huge problem created by the lack of smaller boats coming out: We are killing our "feeder system." The people with 52 Outerlimits and 388 Skaters and 40 Nor-techs that we see at poker runs generally started out in 27 Formulas and 29 Fountains or similar boats. They didn't start in huge fast offshores.

The image we are projecting is like telling a 6 year old to not bother picking up a baseball bat unless he can hit the ball 420 feet over the center field fence in Yankee Stadium.

We need people who are new to the sport coming to the runs in the kind of boats that people who are new to the sport buy. Otherwise we will die of attrition.
you are 100% correct I had a 90mph eliminator 28 daytona and didn't feel it was fast enough to bother participating. Also at the time cost was also a factor, membership +poker run fee +extra for each passenger, ++++ just didn't seem worth it.
Old 04-27-2012, 11:34 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Double R Performance
Respectfully I am asking the mods to remove this thread.

1) It is hard enough for boaters and poker run organizers to get insurance. This is a public forum accessible to anyone with a computer. If I were an outsider (or an underwriter), Poker Run 388's question would sure make the poker run look like a race. If there were an accident this weekend, do you think the insurance companies would miss this thread?

2) We do not need to encourage people to try making poker runs into races. The envelope has already been pushed farther than it needs to be. We need to encourage people with 60 mph boats to come out and feel welcome. Let's not try to glorify "first to the card stop" on the forum. It just pushes us further down the wrong path.

3) Next time someone thinks about starting a thread like this, think about the possible repercussions first.

We all need to pay attention to the way we converse in the public eye regarding poker runs. If we promote them as races, poker runs will go away. A POKER RUN IS NOT A RACE: period.
Underwriters aren't stupid...they know exactly what they're getting into and charge accordingly. Statements by anonymous Joe's on the interweb are hardly grounds to base a legal case on. If they were, just imagine the trouble we'd be in. Only an absolute idiot would believe that a poker run isn't a race in the minds of the participants, regardless of how it's 'sold'.
Old 04-27-2012, 11:44 AM
Registered

Received 61 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Hellbent
Underwriters aren't stupid...they know exactly what they're getting into and charge accordingly. Statements by anonymous Joe's on the interweb are hardly grounds to base a legal case on. If they were, just imagine the trouble we'd be in. Only an absolute idiot would believe that a poker run isn't a race in the minds of the participants, regardless of how it's 'sold'.
Then I am a facking idiot. I have had far more fun running 3-4 wide at 80-100mph than I have at 150 chasing down the boat a mile in front of us. Last time I was in a poker run chasing a boat like that, when we caught it there were 5 dead. Call me what you want.

The time before that, chasing an Outerlimits in a 130 MPH Fountain. You're from Grand Rapids, you know what happened there. Running so fast to be #1 and didn't realize it was time to turn.

I am all for hauling the mail in big offshores, but deck to deck at these speeds is nuts. They don't even run deck to deck at 180 on a race course. Usually becasue there is not more than one boat capable!

Last edited by TxHawk; 04-27-2012 at 11:50 AM.
Old 04-27-2012, 11:45 AM
Registered

I like the o.p. & thats what will be talked about.

” did you see X`s boat.....he was moving!!!, made it to the first card stop way ahead of the pack ”

Sounds like everybody needs to relax a bit & have fun

Last edited by scarab63; 04-27-2012 at 11:50 AM.
Old 04-27-2012, 11:56 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by TxHawk
Then I am a facking idiot. I have had far more fun running 3-4 wide at 80-100mph than I have at 150 chasing down the boat a mile in front of us. Last time I was in a poker run chasing a boat like that, when we caught it there were 5 dead. Call me what you want.

The time before that, chasing an Outerlimits in a 130 MPH Fountain. You're from Grand Rapids, you know what happened there. Running so fast to be #1 and didn't realize it was time to turn.

I am all for hauling the mail in big offshores, but deck to deck off a race course just isnt the place at these speeds.
Yes...I'm sure everyone posting here always obeys the laws and has the safety factors for themselves and everyone else as their top priority. I'm sure they never exceed 'reasonable' speeds unless participating in an organized racing event on a professionally laid out course. I'm sure the underwriter's know this to be true.

Activities involving engines can be dangerous. I suggest knitting for the weak of heart. Oh but then there's those damn needles....
Old 04-27-2012, 12:19 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Why is it every thread on this forum has to turn into a debate? It was a simple question to stir up some fun in speculating which of the big boys would flex their muscles and be the first to card stop #1. Now we are debating on insurance underwriters, poker run safety, etc. DS is one of the biggest runs of the year, people and companies are spending big money to show off. To say that a thread like this is going to scare away some guy in a single screw 25' boat from poker runs is just stupid! DS is a a big boy poker run. If your feelings get hurt because you can't keep up so be it. My boat is only capable of 70mph..... If I could afford to trailer out to DS I think it would be fun to be in the same event as some of these boats. I could go on and on, and wish I could but the battery in my iPhone is about to die so..... I wish everyone a safe event at DS!

Last edited by low_psi; 04-27-2012 at 12:27 PM.
Old 04-27-2012, 12:26 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by low_psi
Why is it every thread on this forum has to turn into a debate?
C'mon....not every thread turns into a debate.

See what I did there?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.