Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
New guy on here, about to buy new boat.... Help me pic! >

New guy on here, about to buy new boat.... Help me pic!

Notices

New guy on here, about to buy new boat.... Help me pic!

Old 04-29-2012, 10:30 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation New guy on here, about to buy new boat.... Help me pic!

Hello! I have been lurking here for a few months doing research on boats, and this week I am looking to make a purchase on my first 454 boat.... Hopefully I can get some help.

I need to decide between an 87' Formula 223 and a 94" Crownline 225 CCR

Formula: http://detroit.craigslist.org/wyn/boa/2938387735.html

-I can get it for about $8700 - $8900.... it was re-powered in 2002... it does have an alpha drive though

Crownline: http://saginaw.craigslist.org/boa/2949443998.html

-I got this guy talked down to $9300. Re-powered in 2008. It has a bravo 1.

Right now I am leaning towards the Formula cause it is longer (22.3 ft + swim plat = 24 ft) and a little cheaper.

What do you guys suggest?

Thanks!!!!!
Old 04-29-2012, 11:07 AM
Registered

They're both nice boats for that size and would make for some great weekends on the water. Let's just consider their price a wash....it's pretty close. The Formula hull would be considered 'better' by most but I've ridden on some Crownlines and didn't have any complaints. You're not gonna be doing 80mph in either one of them so lets not judge them as if you were. The Crownline has a more modern style to it if you're into that sort of thing. It looks like the Formula was slipped so it may have spent a lot of time in the water. Make sure to check for signs of transom and stringer rot. The ad for the Crownline isn't very detailed. The Formula comes with a ton of extra stuff that all adds up. That's probably $2k worth of stuff. Depreciation from here on out is probably going to be the same on both boats. The Bravo is going to help the Crownline hold some extra value. The alpha on the Formula will be fine as long as you don't put a bunch of power to it. I'd have a hard time deciding on the Crownline....Formula's are just put together so well. Just be sure to check for signs of rot...that could make a good deal on a boat a real bad deal. Ask me how I know that
Old 04-29-2012, 11:16 AM
Registered

I used to own a Crownline 225 BR. I'd take the formula over one, not enough deadrise too rough a ride.
Old 04-29-2012, 11:28 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Formula.. Looks to be in good shape with a good price + They hold their value.
Old 04-29-2012, 11:46 AM
Registered

Received 278 Likes on 97 Posts

Crownline.....I can not believe I just wrote that!

I love "offshore boats" more then family boats. But lets face the facts, the family boats are selling better in this size range, and if the OP is lurking on OSO then he will eventually want to upgrade boats. the smartest decision is to buy the best overall deal, one that will sell the easiest for the most money.

Crownline is much newer, nicer, better looking, easier to sell, nicer trailer, etc. The black is much nicer then the normal red or burgandy.

Crownline looks like the best bang for the buck.

Enjoy!
Old 04-29-2012, 12:06 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by offshorexcursion
crownline.....i can not believe i just wrote that!

I love "offshore boats" more then family boats. But lets face the facts, the family boats are selling better in this size range, and if the op is lurking on oso then he will eventually want to upgrade boats. The smartest decision is to buy the best overall deal, one that will sell the easiest for the most money.

Crownline is much newer, nicer, better looking, easier to sell, nicer trailer, etc. The black is much nicer then the normal red or burgandy.

Crownline looks like the best bang for the buck.

Enjoy!
+1
Old 04-29-2012, 12:28 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

crownline is just plain ugly . it looks like it exploded and swelled out .I like the bravo better but it is still ugly .
Old 04-29-2012, 12:54 PM
Registered

Thanks so much for the input so far.... Yeah its a tough decision.... Even though the Crownline add doesnt say much, I talked to the guy on the phone and got the details.

I do think the Crownline is a better deal due to it being newer and having a Bravo. (It does need about $300 of repairs to interior though).

The Formula, I know is the most quality, a little larger, and a tad cheaper.

Anymore input would be great! It is supposed to by nice here by the end of this week here in MI.... and I want to make a purchase.
Old 04-29-2012, 02:10 PM
Registered

Don't rush.....get what you want. We may have 1 nice weekend followed by 2 more crummy ones still.

Have you looked for a 25 ft Sunsation or other 24x7 hull boat, quite a few around the area. Might be able to find one for 10 or so?

I personally like offshore boats, so I'd take the Formula. Is it repowered w/ a Merc 454 or crate engine from a car? I'm not sure what the risks of the car engine are, but would assume it is less than optimal if that is the case.
Old 04-29-2012, 02:18 PM
Registered

Another option? http://detroit.craigslist.org/wyn/boa/2890641465.html

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.