Notices

Lake George NY.

Old 05-06-2012, 08:58 AM
Team Dysfunctional
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rattlesnake Jake
If I remember correctly, last years "Exhibition Race" they upped the 45 mph to 60 and allowed the loud exhaust..
Being a NYS taxpayer I still do not like the idea of paying to use the lake.
Last years speed classes were , 65, 75, & 85+ …… Some boats ran a bit faster than they should have, and few almost got black flagged ...... These speeds only apply for the race demo. Regular rules apply for all other boats on the lake and even the race boats when off the course. We all need to purchase a permit to use the lake including the race boats.

And as for paying to use the lake... Well like most vacation destinations there going to find a way to get $$$ out of you to generate revenue. What’s $45 compared to what we piss away in fuel using our boats. Also I’m not sure, but how many other lakes in NYS have Facilities like day use islands were you can dock , have a pick nick, use a bathroom ( some nicer than others ) BBQ's, garbage cans and waste management boats that clean all the waste on all the islands. It’s a small price to pay for what you get in return.

And yes enforcement on the lake was cut back last year due to budget cuts.

Lake George is a very boat friendly environment… Simply put mufflers on and enjoy the lake.
Old 05-06-2012, 11:35 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have never really had a problem on that lake. In my grandfathers Hustler we cruise at around 80 with twin 850's. we have flaps on the exhaust and like I said have never really had a problem. They also don't mind if you run early in the morning before everybody is out. There are several boats that run over 85 in the early mornings and have never really seen a problem with that either.
Old 05-06-2012, 11:52 AM
Registered

Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by snopro13
Are there any lakes near Lake George that are more boater friendly? Looking to water test a 30 PoweQuest on the lake. Thanks..
Sacandaga is the closest, Champlain is the biggest.
Old 05-06-2012, 11:59 AM
Registered

Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Hot Boat
I’ve been boating on the lake for over 10 years now. I run a 850 HP 90 mph 28'v hull with dry exhaust, idles at 110Db and set up like a race boat. I don’t get bothered much at all on the lake.... Why

1. If your boat is loud put exhaust on it..... When I’m on the lake I have turn down pipes I bolt on to my tail pipes that put the exhaust under water. The boat is as quite as an Bay Liner. But when on plane the exhaust comes out of the water and is loud. There is not much they can do about it. It’s impossible for them to do a drive by speed test to see how load your boat is in motion,..... and they know it. If you tell them you know the law and they don’t have a course set up to test you properly they usually will back down.

2. Don’t drive like a A hole on a holiday weekend , near shore or around other boats, Don’t race other boats. Don’t drive fast through the narrows. If you want to go fast head to the northern end or in the middle of the lake and you will be fine. Most patrol boats are in the southern end, the bays that are most busy, and along the shore line, or in the narrows. You can usually spot patrol boats in advance. They run small CC out boards.

LG lake George in my opinion is about one of the most beautiful lakes around and an awesome vacation destination with so much to offer. If you listen to what I said above you will have a great vacation weekend on LG. If you have to drive fast and show off .....then go to the lake Sacandaga reservoir. It’s also a nice lake and you won’t get harassed for driving fast, that’s why we have poker runs on it rather than LG. Also watch out for the rocks when the Sacandaga reservoir is low. Ask in advance how low the reservoir is before heading up. You don’t want to hit the stone walls under water by sand island. ……"In My Opinion Lake George has much, much, more to offer as a vacation destination than Sacandaga" there is a reason why it call the Queen of Americas lakes.
This is very well said!!!

I ran right at the 90dB limit, and never had a problem in 15 years on Lake George. I was there to be on vacation, not to race people.

I watched people blow by Log Bay on a Sat at 70+, and get stopped by about 5 patrol boats. We went up north beyond the Mother Bunch, in the middle of the Lake and never got looked at. If you try running fast from Green Island south, you are just asking for multiple tickets.
Old 05-06-2012, 12:32 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Hot Boat
And as for paying to use the lake... Well like most vacation destinations there going to find a way to get $$$ out of you to generate revenue. What’s $45 compared to what we piss away in fuel using our boats. Also I’m not sure, but how many other lakes in NYS have Facilities like day use islands were you can dock , have a pick nick, use a bathroom ( some nicer than others ) BBQ's, garbage cans and waste management boats that clean all the waste on all the islands. It’s a small price to pay for what you get in return.

Lake George is a very boat friendly environment… Simply put mufflers on and enjoy the lake.
Bingo-

I have never boated anywhere else in the country that has well kept docks on islands, well kept out houses with toilet paper in them, garbage can all over the place on islands, where a garbage boat actually maintaines daily... Picnic tables, covered pavilions, moring balls in the bays, you get alot for 45$

Last edited by Boomer35; 05-06-2012 at 12:41 PM.