Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   LED strip lighting (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/276160-led-strip-lighting.html)

bert4332 05-09-2012 08:15 PM

LED strip lighting

Anyone here do their own LED lighting using the flexible strips? What amperage do most boats put out? If I'm running one color, do I still need a controller?

thanx

BajaIceBreaker 05-09-2012 08:28 PM

IDK... but you should be able to find all your answers at superbrightleds.com That's where i get my led's.

Nightlife1970 05-09-2012 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by bert4332 (Post 3683920)
Anyone here do their own LED lighting using the flexible strips? What amperage do most boats put out? If I'm running one color, do I still need a controller?

thanx

Lots of people have used the flexible LED strips. If you are looking to just do one color, you could just buy a strip of that color. If you buy the RGB strips you will need the control to put it on the color you want.

You know you can buy rolls of the stuff and cut to the size you want.

US1 Fountain 05-09-2012 09:04 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Installed blue flexible strip lights in my boat. Some mounted behind the speakers grills, , underneath the seats, inside side compartments, and inside arch lights. The accent lights just required a length of 3 LEDs, approx 2". Had 9 LEDS, but those proved to be too bright and were cut down to 3 LEDS. (last pic shows the side compartments before reduced)
A 15' role of LED just require mA's of juice to operate, (less than 1 amp). All my lights are independent of each other so I can at a later date add a music controller to flash the ones I want, but for now all are wired to 2 switches; 1 that controls the speakers/sub, 1 for cockpit/arch lighting for a little bit of flexibility.

Pics taken with phone. The lights shows up as bright lights, but are actually just the blue glow. Arch lites weren't installed when these pics taken.

BIGSLOW 05-09-2012 10:07 PM

Originally Posted by US1 Fountain (Post 3683979)
Installed blue flexible strip lights in my boat. Some mounted behind the speakers grills, , underneath the seats, inside side compartments, and inside arch lights. The accent lights just required a length of 3 LEDs, approx 2". Had 9 LEDS, but those proved to be too bright and were cut down to 3 LEDS. (last pic shows the side compartments before reduced)
A 15' role of LED just require mA's of juice to operate, (less than 1 amp). All my lights are independent of each other so I can at a later date add a music controller to flash the ones I want, but for now all are wired to 2 switches; 1 that controls the speakers/sub, 1 for cockpit/arch lighting for a little bit of flexibility.

Pics taken with phone. The lights shows up as bright lights, but are actually just the blue glow. Arch lites weren't installed when these pics taken.

How did you get the LED strips inside your JL speakers? I like that look but I thought I had to buy the LED speaker rings to do it.

US1 Fountain 05-09-2012 10:37 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The grills unscrew from the body. Have to take care of the wires for the tweeters if coaxilas. With the grills on, the LEDS can't be seen as the lights are behind the grills. I don't care for the speaker ring look, thus mounting them inside the speakers. Something different. The cones glow blue. Those pics don't do it justice.

A better pic taken while modifying :

BajaIceBreaker 05-10-2012 07:04 AM

Where's the "like" button?

Fountain Family 05-10-2012 07:34 AM

Originally Posted by US1 Fountain (Post 3684065)
The grills unscrew from the body. Have to take care of the wires for the tweeters if coaxilas. With the grills on, the LEDS can't be seen as the lights are behind the grills. I don't care for the speaker ring look, thus mounting them inside the speakers. Something different. The cones glow blue. Those pics don't do it justice.

Do you have a link to the type of LEDs you used?

spyderconv1999 05-10-2012 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by US1 Fountain (Post 3684065)

thats sweet! :)

bert4332 05-10-2012 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by US1 Fountain (Post 3683979)

Looks awesome, thanx