Notices

Snap on Boat Covers

Old 05-10-2012, 06:31 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 179 Likes on 66 Posts

As others have said, it really depends on the cover. For instance, I have two cockpit covers that share the same male snaps in the deck. The OEM Progression (Vinyl) cover will blow off in less than a mile - possibly because it doesn't breath. The custom made Acrylic cover works like a champ. Both are supported with a center pole and drum tight.

Now if your snap on cover is a full deck cover, I wouldn't recommend towing with it at all, Too much surface area leads to too much flapping - which leads to destruction.

Your safest best is taped on shrink wrap.
Old 05-10-2012, 09:49 PM
Registered

Received 26 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by bert4332
I'm gonna transport my boat from TX to Annapolis, just wondering if others use their snap on covers or go without?
You had some good input. We tape the perimeter with 2-4" blue masking tape and also protect any uphostery under the cover with the same tape. I also tape all pop up cleats lights and fuel fills and vents. We also do a walk around every fuel stop. This protects everything from road grime.
Old 05-10-2012, 10:22 PM
Registered

Received 419 Likes on 252 Posts

Routine at every fuel stop was to check tires, feel the hubs and check cover. I am sure it depends on the cover. My bow and cockpit covers are both made of Sunbrella fabric if that makes any difference.
Old 05-11-2012, 12:48 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default fixx

+1 on taping the edges if yoiur cover dont have the h/d spring rated snaps..
i have the heavy duty snaps on my x18 cockpit cover and its vinyl and never blew off,even at 5 mph for 400 miles..

alot of people dont know about the hd snaps,you know you got them it they are hard to snap..
Old 05-11-2012, 02:10 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have towed open and with a custom Sunbrella cover.
Properly fitted, padded on the underside contact points, snapped and support poled is the way to go!

My first tows from Ohio and back n forth to LOTO were rough open topped. LOTO trips, Tenn, Austin, Havasu MUCH nicer with the cover.
Road spray and grime sucks to clean up and its near impossible to get all the dirt and grit out that is deposited on the carpet without a full cleaning. Not to mention, there is no worry of a seat cushion or other contents blowing out.

I have a $1000 full cover but would never travel with it even though it says "trailerable" The nice thing about having the mooring cover too is it is much smaller, able to be stowed onboard and easy to snap on to keep things clean when overnighting on the dock too.
My boat is all gel, dont know how much difference there is if it is painted.