Smallest boats with twin I/Os?? >

Smallest boats with twin I/Os??

Notices

Smallest boats with twin I/Os??

Old 05-11-2012, 06:50 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by spectras only
Mirage 257 [ 25'7" with built in swimgrid, 24' without] ,very few maybe 4-5 built with twins.My boat was built for the owner of Mirageboats washington state in 1990 .Had twin 383's with blowers , now I have the 6.2 MX MPI's in the boat.

Sweet! Top speed?

Riley I love it too. It's got that big-boat look with the twin tachs, dropout bolsters, twin air scoops and that long stripe down the foredeck. Looks like it should be a 35.

What's the weight of the 6.2? I was thinking of those 600hp Mast Marine motors they say are less that 600lbs.

Last edited by Catmando; 05-11-2012 at 07:16 PM.
Old 05-12-2012, 12:45 AM
Registered

The "Warpath" boat that was referred to earlier in this thread is just slightly under the 21' mark, has twin supercharged big block Chevys staggered (about 850 HP each) and IMCO Drives (I believe they are SCXs). It's a ski race boat, a Wellscraft, and is owned and driven by Mike Avila, a Hall of Fame ski racer who badly injured an arm in a ski racing crash a number of years ago that ended his career as a skier. Top speed is somewhere in the 130 mph range -- and Mike drives the boat with one arm and uses a foot throttle.
Old 05-12-2012, 01:08 AM
Registered

Received 566 Likes on 234 Posts

My brother when he designed the 18 Baron that became the 18 Powerplay /Powerquest designed the engine compartment around 2 inline sixes. I think this is because he has ideas of stealing them out of my dads 26 Monza. Ended up with a 260 with an Alpha this was 1978 had to be the first year for that little package
Old 05-12-2012, 01:29 AM
Registered

Before the Warpath boats, Mike had a 20' Spectra [ 20'10" actually] he modified it to outfit with twin clamp ons and water ballast up front. That boat did over 100mph mark.This new boat he's got is off the hook compared to his previous boats .
The OB he had was based on a similar one like mine here >

Another twin engined 24 footer with twin BB [ V-drive ] was a 70's 24 Spectra called Banzai, racing in the Catalina events.

Formula had a 233 model with twin 260's in the late 70's going close to 60 mph. Big and deep V for a small boat.

My Mirage's best to date is 76mph with the current 6.2's, Bravo1X diesel drives w/1.65 dr ratio, spinning labbed Bravo1 26P props @ 5100. With the original 383's S/C was going over 80 at 3/4 throttle with lot of chinewalk before the Marine Machine ext steering and 280 K planes were installed.

Just for chit and giggles, here's a comparo my 25'7 boat next to my bud's 35' Fountain.
Headroom is an exact 4' in the cabin.

I've built a new hatch with the scoops for scavenging heat from the engine compartment and for possible future Whipple install.

Last edited by spectras only; 05-12-2012 at 01:39 AM.
Old 05-12-2012, 01:18 PM
Platinum Member
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave M
I've seen a few 24 Formulas with twins.
I had a 242LS with the twin 350/260 package (Alphas) that was a great boat. It was a rare one with the McCleod bolster package from the factory. I built the engines up to 350hp only to sell it the following year in favor of a twin small block powered AT28. That Formula could tickle 70, but was a damnhandfull at that speed as rigged.
I think my old 242 is up in the Green Bay area now (Denmark, WI?). The owner put Bravos on it and had aspirations of external steering and bigger tabs; I don't know if he ever got it done. Would love to know-- he is member 'twin242' here on OSO.
Old 05-12-2012, 03:25 PM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts

Wow that mirage is absolutely fantastic. I agree, I cant pick one thing to rave about but the sum of the parts is spot on. I bet those 6.2s scream.
Old 05-12-2012, 04:42 PM
Registered

This is a little off-topic, but "Spectras Only" did mention V-Drive twins in an earlier post. The 24 Spectra that was referred to was a boat built for Les Kepler (rigged by champion water ski racer, Rick Fowler who worked for Spectra). Rick's dad, Doug Fowler (a marathon and ski race driver) rode shotgun/navigator for Kepler in its maiden offshore race. Kepler's boat had twin 350 c.i. Chevys in a freight-train install. The boat was incredibly dependable with a top speed of about 80 mph. After a couple of years, Kepler sold the boat to Barry McCown, former national champion blown fuel hydro driver and the boat was renamed "Banzai" after McCown's drag boat. McCown later decided to remove the twin small block V-8s and re-rig the boat with twin big block V-8s. In the late 1960, Ed Delong, co-founder/owner of Spectra Marine raced a 24-foot Campbell cruiser (custom flat deck) with twin staggered big block Chevys through two V-drives. Even earlier than that, drag boat racer Buzz Coates had an 18-foot Stevens flatbottom called the "Mortician" which had twin freight-train small block Chevy V-8s (injected) which won numerous class championships. The restored "Mortician" appears once in awhile at vintage boat regattas.
Old 05-12-2012, 05:31 PM
Registered

Received 201 Likes on 80 Posts

Don used to build the 24 Cigarette with twin 6 cylinder sterndrives. After he sold me the molds for that boat, he built me a couple of 400 HP small block engines with TRS drives, for my first 24 Banana, that I ran in the modified class as the first Top Banana.

Some photos on the website www.bananaboatco.com
Old 05-12-2012, 06:27 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I , have seen a 69 or 70 , 19 foot Sea Ray , SRX , Pachanga with twin in line sixes .........which really freaked me out .