Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
I bought a boat from nc and im in sc and the guy didnt sign the title over >

I bought a boat from nc and im in sc and the guy didnt sign the title over

Notices

I bought a boat from nc and im in sc and the guy didnt sign the title over

Old 05-14-2012, 12:53 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I bought a boat from nc and im in sc and the guy didnt sign the title over

I recently bought a boat from North carolina and i live in south carolina a week later when i started to look at the title i have noticed the original owner did not sign the title over. what can i do to receive a title in SC?
Old 05-14-2012, 12:58 AM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

call the seller and ask him to meet you half way so he can sign it over.
Old 05-14-2012, 05:35 AM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

so the title is blank where it says seller signature? does it have to be notarized? if not, they have no way of knowing if the signature on that line is actually his or if somebody else signed it. one way to be sure, take it to your version of motor vehicle dept. explain and ask them. if they say "send it to him and have him sign it and mail it back" you will know you are ok. the other option is to send it to him and have him sign it and mail back.
Old 05-14-2012, 06:26 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dereknkathy
so the title is blank where it says seller signature? does it have to be notarized? if not, they have no way of knowing if the signature on that line is actually his or if somebody else signed it. one way to be sure, take it to your version of motor vehicle dept. explain and ask them. if they say "send it to him and have him sign it and mail it back" you will know you are ok. the other option is to send it to him and have him sign it and mail back.
I would agree. Do you have the title or not, does it have to be notarized? This seems pretty simple I would sign it and turn it in. Have your wife, friend or somebody else sign it. Just let the old owner know what you are doing. Or just mail it back have him sign and return. I dont think there will be an easier option than what is listed.
Old 05-14-2012, 05:51 PM
Registered

Default Who is your bank?

For that sake of conversation if it is a national chain, like Bank of America, ask your banker to send it to the closest bank to the seller. If you don't have a bill-of-sale, while at it I would get one of those too.

If not a national chain, many banks do have working relationship across chain lines.

Have you talked to the seller? Is there any reason he would not sign?

I suppose one of the last things I might suggest is sending directly to him unless you feel very comfortable with it.

Too many negative things can happen forging a document.

If that doesn't work and you know your county prostituter... sorry prosecutor, ask him if he would be willing to send it to the DA where the seller is and get it signed.

If none of those are options, get the name of a process server in the sellers area and get him to find the guy. Likely a process server will cost you $100-$150, maybe less if the seller is very co-operative.
Old 05-14-2012, 05:58 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Call the owner. Might be worried over nothing. I wouldn't be signing anyone else's name, even with their knowledge/permission.
Old 05-14-2012, 09:13 PM
Registered

Have the seller fill out a power of attorney and send it to you. That gives you the right to sign his name on the title.
Old 05-14-2012, 09:33 PM
Registered

I worried like hell about a broker selling a boat in NY for a guy. I called my DMV (OH), then NJ DMV (where the boat was titled). They checked that the boat was not stolen or salvaged. I also made damn sure a broker from NY was legally allowed to transfer a boat from NJ and that Oh wouldnt have an issue with it.

The seller had signed over the title to the broker, the broker signed it, and notarized The title.

If i were you, take an arranged day off when its convenient for the seller to sign witnessed by a notary. Notary may not be necessary though. All states are different. Good luck and good fortune to you...
Old 05-15-2012, 05:43 AM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

i am a trusting soul. didn't even think of possible negatives of mailing the title back to the guy. if you want I's dotted and T's crossed correctly, 32 vettes idea is best. power of attorney. i didn't know they made corvettes in 1932.
Old 05-15-2012, 06:23 AM
Registered

If you don't want to mail him the title, why would he send you a Power of Attorney?

Second issue, it is bad form to be the receiving party of the POA. The POA should give the power to a third party. Even if he might be willing to give you a POA, I really doubt if he is going to give a POA to someone just because you say they are alright.

Turn it around, would you sign a POA to someone you don't know or barely know?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.