Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Wide Load permits and driving on Sunday >

Wide Load permits and driving on Sunday

Notices

Wide Load permits and driving on Sunday

Old 05-14-2012, 09:48 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Ga now requires a million dollar auto liability policy to obtain an oversize permit.
Old 05-14-2012, 10:38 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All depends on the cop that pulls you over, some may know the law and others may not. I would play dumb and no speaks English. LOL
Old 05-15-2012, 05:20 AM
Registered

Thats what you guys all get for living in the south east. Two summers ago, by buddy bought a 38 ZX in Mass. drove I90 to Spokane in 3 days, with no plate on the trailer, got pulled over in Ohio and all the cop wanted was to see the inside of the boat. I'd say go for it, but its not my ticket. Let us know what happens after you get home...
Old 05-15-2012, 06:17 AM
Registered

I'd say the chances of getting stopped with a pleasure boat on a weekend are minimal, because it is recreational in nature, and sort of a gray area to the average layman, but if they stop you, that gray is going to become black and white with dollar signs. Getting back to the penalty end of things and if you get stopped, especially if it is a DOT type rather than an ordinary policeman, they will be interested to see if the tow rig is properly licensed to carry the gross amount of weight, whether or not you fall into the criteria to require a CDL if you pass their 26,000 pound threshold, DOT physical, etc. Bottom line, once you go to towing stuff that is wider than 8'6" and you start using vehicles that might otherwise be used in commercial operations to tow with, it starts getting gray and it gives them an opportunity to make a profit center for their state.
Old 05-15-2012, 06:50 AM
Registered

I haul for boats for a living and go to Florida alot. Do not chance it. Saturday by noon. NO SUNDAYS. Or paint the truck, trailer and boat black and drive at night with lights off. That is the only way that I would do it. Not worth the ticket and have my stuff impounded. Once DOT pulls you over there will be all kinds of tickets.
Old 05-15-2012, 06:57 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If it's just a matter of waiting 24 hours, why in the world would you risk it?????????????????? Even if there was only a 20% chance of getting caught, the risk still far outweighs the reward IMO.
Old 05-15-2012, 07:14 AM
Charter Member#203
Charter Member

Received 14,718 Likes on 3,789 Posts

Originally Posted by ChrisK
I have a blanket oversize permit for florida to haul my equipment and grinder. I can tell you they WILL stop you in FL. You can not haul after 12 noon on Saturday, NO Sundays, and hour before sunrise, and hour after sunset weekdays. You will also need a banner that says "OVERSIZE LOAD" on the front of the truck and the rear of the trailer, a flashing yellow strobe on the rear of the trailer as well as at least one on the truck visible from the sides and front. You will also need flags on the corners of the boat and front bumper corners of the truck.

Last July FL also changed a little bit when it comes to the DOT, they were taken over by the FHP. Now all DOT officers are also FHP and vice versa, you will also run the chance of getting pulled over by any FHP officer as well. They have all been cracking down on the private guys lately (Im thinking revenue) including lawn care guys, people pulling boats, etc.... You used to be able to kinda fly under the radar, but not anymore in FL.
Sunday's through noon as well like Saturday, but beyond Noon, and chances are you may get pulled over!
Old 05-15-2012, 12:57 PM
Registered

can you map out weigh stations and just go around them? I would think the greatest risk lies in passing up a station. i think its less likey to be pulled over by someone just watching the road and speeders.

weve towed 3 boats all on flats over 10' from Nola to Destin with no probs last year. I say go for it.
Old 05-15-2012, 08:42 PM
Registered
VIP Member

Taking the safe route with all my permits and hanging around until Monday... Got a great invite from John O to run Sunday out of Palatka (sp??) up to some springs that are suppose to be awesome so not going to chance the Sunday thing. Thanks for all the responses...
Old 05-15-2012, 09:20 PM
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

palatka isnt to far away.. its a little "hickish" and I assume you going to silver glenn... used to be one hell of a party area, until they cracked down on it.. Stilla real nice area...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.