Card Stop 1, Controversy Desert Storm >

Card Stop 1, Controversy Desert Storm

Notices

Card Stop 1, Controversy Desert Storm

Old 05-16-2012, 02:45 AM
Registered

Received 155 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by low_psi
OK, we know it isn't a race! We get it!! Now back to the subject of the thread.......

IF YOU WERE NOT THE BOAT THAT GOT THE FIRST CARD, YOU WERE NOT THE FIRST TO THE CARD STOP. PERIOD!!!! BLOWING PAST THE STOP DOES NOT MEAN YOU WERE FIRST!!! IT MEANS YOU WERE THE FIRST TO BLOW PAST IT!!! END OF FREAKING STORY.

Why is this a controversy????

Which boat received the first card at stop one? THAT IS THE FIRST BOAT TO THE CARD STOP!!! And this kind of goes back to the "It's not a race" if it were a race there would be a finish line where the boats would race past. But since it it a POKER RUN, there are STOPS. If you were not the first to stop and get your card, you were NOT THE FIRST TO THE CARD STOP!
Exactly. Gary aka Skater40 aka Predator was the first to the card stop and received his cards first again this year.

Anyone who claims different is a liar.
Old 05-16-2012, 06:09 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RiverDave
In future video it will become clear who was in the area first..

14 years no incidents.. Hopefully have another 14 incident free. Overall it looks like one thing from the shore (close quarters.. It's not they are all really spread out), and remember the guys being interviewed, as well as the guy (me) interviewing aren't TV personalities and it's done on the fly, so there is occasional "slippage" of the word "race" when they meant run or what not..

No big deal man

RD
Are you kidding me ? It only takes one time. We had many years of an accident free events as well . It only takes once and the ambulance chasers descend upon you

Tell “No bid Deal” to the slime bag attorneys when a lawsuit happens
In our original depositions after the death of two men at our event (Smoke On The Water Poker Run) The attorneys for the insurance companies spent a lot of time trying to prove our event was a race, not a rally. If they could find a way to prove that, then they would claim they were not liable and as such not responsible for any monetary coverage.
Fortunately we went far out of our way to emphasize “this is not a race” If any individual mentioned it as a race, we cut it out of all our videos if we found any references . It is just plain stupid to provide even one piece of -on line- info calling it a race.
When (not if) another tragedy happens in a poker run, this little piece of video will pop up in the lawsuit that is SURE to follow. I suggest you edit out any reference to racing, as poker runs are rally’s not races. Private grudge matches should be just that PRIVATE

Please edit your video and remove any reference to RACING. You would think lessons would be learned. People use to bust me about my *****ing about this, but I have FIRST HAND KNOWLEDGE on this and I am here to tell you IT IS NOT A RACE so stop promoting it as such with this type of irresponsible editing. It would take nothing to edit out those comments . Trust me it will be used against the sport in the future. Please edit yoru video. And to everyone running in a poker run remember it is a Rally not a Race. You want to race there are organizations in which to do that. (you still might be sued but at least you are in an event designed for racing) You can't stop people to making referances that are wrong, but you sure can edit it out of a video so as not to promote it as anything but a rally

Last edited by boatme; 05-16-2012 at 06:16 AM.
Old 05-16-2012, 06:23 AM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

That video would seem to put Wozencraft in a tough spot. "Racing" in an event which "is not a race", to a card stop sponsored by them, staffed by them, in an event which is insured by them ?

The promoters need to re-consider the message of that video ( which may soon be called Exhibit A in a court of law ).
Old 05-16-2012, 06:24 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They don't call it a card STOP for nothing
Old 05-16-2012, 08:57 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 84 Likes on 31 Posts

Enough already!

Blatantly calling it a race....that is great.
Take your canopied race boats, egos, and BS to Bimini, OPA, or wherever there is a sanctioned event and keep poker runs for fun!

There are many of us who have raced, enjoyed it and moved on to pleasure boating and want to keep it that way. Pretty soon it will be impossible for anyone to get insurance on poker runs and then what?
Since when is this drag racing anyway?
Getting to the first stop? Who gives a rats azz.... finish the run!
If you want to see who can be the first in a straight line, build a drag boat!
These are meant to be endurance runs for fun.
Everyone who talks about poker runs being thinly veiled races obviously has their head up their azz and either has never done one or participates for the wrong reasons.

I am done.
Old 05-16-2012, 09:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the video River Dave! Great Video!

Well you guy's can call it a "Rally" or a "Fun Run" or shal we call it a "Poker run" we then bring the alot of the fastest boats 100+++ MPH to this "event" where they will be running all out across a body of water at all out top speeds but hey long as we don't say "race" everything is fine. You can't change poker runs by calling them different names, there will ALWAYS be people trying to be number 1, (Insurance companies know this). The last one I took my boat to I was almost the last one at the stops running 70 MPH. I guess they were all really hungary and wanted to get to the lunch spot 1rst...
Old 05-16-2012, 10:26 AM
Registered

Received 42 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by skater40
CRC wasnt even close -boy is that interview going to bite him in the butt.
Enjoy this short video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37de_...eature=related

Is the guy that filmed this the same guy that filmed double rainbow?
Old 05-16-2012, 10:54 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 84 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by sunsation96
Thanks for the video River Dave! Great Video!

Well you guy's can call it a "Rally" or a "Fun Run" or shal we call it a "Poker run" we then bring the alot of the fastest boats 100+++ MPH to this "event" where they will be running all out across a body of water at all out top speeds but hey long as we don't say "race" everything is fine. You can't change poker runs by calling them different names, there will ALWAYS be people trying to be number 1, (Insurance companies know this). The last one I took my boat to I was almost the last one at the stops running 70 MPH. I guess they were all really hungary and wanted to get to the lunch spot 1rst...
You can absolutely differentiate a Poker Run from a race!
Some promoters just refuse to do it!
I have done my fair share of poker runs (4-6 per year for 12 years) and there are a few I will NEVER do based on the way they are run.
I raced for 4 years back in the early 90's and am fully aware of the difference between racing and pleasure boating.
In NJ, we designate different classes of boats and ALL the classes run with pace boats. Break the rules and you are removed from the run and not invited back. Period!
Poker Runs have been going on for many years in all forms of motorsports. Try telling a motorcycle club their poker run is a race. How about all those car clubs? I ran in the Hot Rod Power Tour in 1998 and there were hundreds of cars that could run double the speed limit. Sure we "raced" each other but not one person was hellbent on being the first to the lunch stop.
The problem is a small group of idiots are going to ruin it for the rest of us.
The least we can do as a group to help ourselves is separate poker runs from races because if we "in the know" can't then those who don't will shut us all down.

Last edited by Tom A.; 05-16-2012 at 11:00 AM.
Old 05-16-2012, 10:58 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Stop turning this thread into a *****fest about poker runs not being races. Go start your own thread and complain there. Desert Storm draws the large crowds because of the ridiculously fast boats that participate. If you don't like what DS is or about, don't participate, don't watch, etc! Why is it every thread on this forum has to take a 90 degree turn in another direction because a few just want to complain? This thread was started to stir up some good ole fun about who was first and some of you want to turn it into a safety lesson... Post your complaints on how a poker run isnt a race in the "safety" section of the board!

As far as requesting Dave edit his video to remove terms like "race" to make is just STUPID! I am so tired of people expecting everyone around them to cater to them. If you don't like the video and the references made don't watch it!
Old 05-16-2012, 11:13 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

they are not complaining about DS , its the fact that what happens at one event affects all events,
as boats get more powerful and faster bad accidents are only gonna increase as has been seen in
the last couple years. I LOVE powerboating and going fast but boats going 180-200mph on inland lakes
that are full of boaters is a bit mind boggling.
I think people are just worried if we have one big incident poker runs will go away all together,everywhere.
All it takes is some jerkoff in a pontoon boat full of kids to be in the wrong place at the wrong time..Wont matter whose fault it is we will all get blamed.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.