Notices

Towing your Boat??

Old 05-15-2012, 09:51 PM
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Towing your Boat??

I am prepairing to buy a truck this year and a used 42' Fountain in a year or two and I have a couple of questions for those who tow larger boats.

I am considering a Ford 6.7 Diesel Crew Cab 4x4 but the question is F-250 or F-350 and long bed or short bed? I am only considering single rear wheel (so it will go through a car wash).

They all have similar tow capacity rating, about 14,000 pounds. The F-250 will ride better when empty and not towing, but is the added heavier suspension on the F-350 make it a better/more stable tow vehicle.

I am located in Southern California, so everywhere that I go there are mountains to cross.

Does the longer wheelbase of the long bed make a significant difference in stability?

I would like to hear from all of you that have experience in towing larger boats.

Thanks in advance.
David
Old 05-15-2012, 10:11 PM
RBH
Platinum Member

Just traded trucks and got a 2011 F-350 Crew cab long bed dual wheel 4 wheel drive. I pull a 42 Fountain, truck trailer boat and full of fuel weight was just over 26K. Long wheel base does help a lot, dual wheels help. The 6.7 is a power house, buy one with a 3.73 gear its enough if you don't change tire size.
Old 05-15-2012, 10:26 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by RBH
Just traded trucks and got a 2011 F-350 Crew cab long bed dual wheel 4 wheel drive. I pull a 42 Fountain, truck trailer boat and full of fuel weight was just over 26K. Long wheel base does help a lot, dual wheels help. The 6.7 is a power house, buy one with a 3.73 gear its enough if you don't change tire size.
What did you tow with before the new truck? and how do they compare? Do you know what the boat and trailer weigh and how much tongue weight you have.
Thanks.
DK
Old 05-15-2012, 10:42 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 616 Likes on 180 Posts

Long bed gives you larger fuel tank that in itself is worth it. And go with the 350
Old 05-15-2012, 10:53 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by RBH
Over 26k, don't get pulled over by the DOT, how much does your boat and trailer weigh? I am thinking about a 42 Fountain or OL, I have a GMC 3500, I would probably step up to a F650, not necessary, but cool!
Old 05-16-2012, 12:32 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Dkahnjob
I am prepairing to buy a truck this year and a used 42' Fountain in a year or two and I have a couple of questions for those who tow larger boats.

I am considering a Ford 6.7 Diesel Crew Cab 4x4 but the question is F-250 or F-350 and long bed or short bed? I am only considering single rear wheel (so it will go through a car wash).

They all have similar tow capacity rating, about 14,000 pounds. The F-250 will ride better when empty and not towing, but is the added heavier suspension on the F-350 make it a better/more stable tow vehicle.

I am located in Southern California, so everywhere that I go there are mountains to cross.

Does the longer wheelbase of the long bed make a significant difference in stability?

I would like to hear from all of you that have experience in towing larger boats.

Thanks in advance.
David
You must live around the corner from me! I am super happy with our new F350. We just towed our boat to Lake Mead a few weeks ago and I was very impressed with the whole experience. We have the SRW for similar reasons as you (car wash, easier parking, nanny drives it during the week so no worries about dually fenders missing). I think the ride is great and way better than the Excursion we just sold. I like the long bed for the way it looks and it has already come in handy for carrying things, plus as Dan says......more fuel. Plenty of power and nice technology. Didn't even look at getting an F250.
Attached Thumbnails Towing your Boat??-dsc_1223.jpg   Towing your Boat??-dsc_1243.jpg  

Last edited by PhantomChaos; 05-16-2012 at 12:34 AM.
Old 05-16-2012, 12:42 AM
Registered

I just bought a 02' 3500 crew cab long box dually Duramax and it rides Soo much better than my dads crew cab short box 2500 srw dmax. Turning capabilities suck compared to my reg. cab long box tho.
Old 05-16-2012, 06:38 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The differences between the 3/4-ton and the 1-ton is one additional leaf spring and 2" in height. The drivetrains are identical and so are the tow ratings. The only thing the 1-ton buys you over the 3/4-ton is an extra 620# of payload capacity. If you don't plan on any heavy hauling (not towing, hauling) and your tongue weight is under 1,250#, then either truck will suffice.

But regardless of any of that, if this truck will be mostly used for heavy duty and towing, then the 1-ton makes more sense. If it'll be your daily driver and you will only tow on limited occasions, then the 3/4-ton will be more comfortable for day-to-day use and could work better for you.

As previously stated the longbeds offer better stability and increased fuel capacity over the shortbeds, but at the expensive of additional weight and being just slightly more of a pain to park and turn around, but those are minor concerns. I suggest you weight the pros and cons and pick the best combo for what you'll be using if for the majority of its life.
Old 05-16-2012, 07:37 AM
Registered

last year I went with the 2011 F350 to tow my 35' Sonic........ I hardly feel the boat is there when I am towing.......single rear wheel for the same reasons as the rest of you. I only tow a few times a year. I would think the F350 is the truck for a 42' Fountain........and empty you do get bounced arouind a bit but it is fine......
Old 05-16-2012, 08:33 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 84 Likes on 31 Posts

Ditto to what CigDaze said.

I would go with the F-350 over the the 250 unless you drive it everyday.

A quick story:

Before my 38 Donzi, I had a 29' Kryptonite. I already had my 3500 Dually (planning ahead)
I was trailering the Kryptonite on the NJ Parkway and the ball snapped off the hitch at 60mph.
When it came apart, the chains held, the trailer pulled to the left and the whole rear of the truck pulled to the left with it. I was able to correct, caught the tongue of the trailer under the bed and between the rear wheels of the truck, and was able to pull it to the shoulder. (Thankfully I always carry a spare hitch, bottle jack etc.)

That was a very scary incident and I am 100% convinced that if I had a lighter duty truck, I may have lost it. Now imagine that scenario with my 38 or your 42.....

As for the broken ball, it appears to have been a flaw in the manufacturing of it, however I couldn't figure out what brand it was because the top of the ball was gone. I am pretty sure it was a cheapo and since then never skimp on balls!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.