Need advise about buying this 88 Celebrity with an v8 >

Need advise about buying this 88 Celebrity with an v8

Notices

Need advise about buying this 88 Celebrity with an v8

Old 05-16-2012, 10:16 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need advise about buying this 88 Celebrity with an v8

Hi everyone, Im thinking about buying this boat. Could you guys tell me if the asking price seems about right or a little suspicious like something might be wrong. Im hopping to take an in person look at it in the next few day. Thanks

http://newjersey.craigslist.org/boa/2974377711.html
Old 05-16-2012, 10:30 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dont think I would even give them that much.
Old 05-16-2012, 10:38 AM
Registered

IMO looks like a money pit.
Old 05-16-2012, 12:33 PM
Registered

I know cosmetically it isnt the nice but I could restore it. The engine has about 600 on it. Still seem worth it?
Old 05-16-2012, 01:08 PM
Registered

Default Very closely examine this transom too!

It is difficult for those of us that can't see the boat to make a judgment for you, so here are some things for you to keep in mind...

In its day Celebrity had a decent name in the industry. All its days ended not long after this boat would have been made. My experience has been the quality of a product line tends to go down as companies try to scrimp and save in a futile attempt to avoid the inevitable.

The line appears to have been purchased after business closure, but I don't think anything ever happened to it at Classic and then it was sold to Bombardier and I don't think they have done anything with it.

You had the other project boat with the bad transom, and this could very likely be the same result.

Best bet is to go look at it, poke around and see if anything jumps out at you as a problem. Remember all the things the seller says were done before stored will need to be repeated. You really should do or have done a complete tune-up if you do buy it, including all new filters.

Assuming it passes a compression test and there is no discolouration in the crankcase and in addition to the tune-up parts, calculate into the equation a new water pump impellor, gimbal bearing and don't forget a trailer! He didn't mention, but might want to also calculate new batteries.

Ask how it was winterized when it was put into storage.

ALSO: be very careful to examine manifolds and risers with great care, especially if it has been a salt water boat

Last edited by BoatShow239; 05-16-2012 at 01:16 PM. Reason: syntax error and additional info added
Old 05-16-2012, 01:29 PM
Registered

a 305 Chevy V8 was probably the worst V8 in the history of V8s I would not touch that boat for that reason alone.....hell it is probably one of the worst of any engine
Old 05-16-2012, 01:35 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Assuming you can pick up a trailer for $1000 + the boat for $1650 + $150 for batteries and another $500 for misc you are into the boat for $3500 which isnt bad. The key here is the engine and drive--if it runs and operates I think its a decent deal (without seeing it). If you have any issues with compression or rot I would walk away.
Old 05-16-2012, 01:35 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 177 Likes on 65 Posts

We used to sell Celebrity boats and that vintage had all sorts of issues with sealing between the hull and deck at the stern due to the styling of the boat. (Note where the rub rail is at the stern.) So the chances of the transom being rotted are pretty good.

You can rub and buff as much as you want, but that gel has left the building. Although it will probably come back for short periods of time (between rubbings), it’s all done.

As has already been said, the 305 Chevy was a turd.

I’d stay away from it unless you want a money pit.
Old 05-16-2012, 01:52 PM
Registered

Thanks for all of the input. Im not going to get it then. Especially with all of the issues everyone explained. What engines are good? I would really like a v8 but I would settle for a v6. When you are buying a boat do you make then do the compression tester or do you bring your own and do it yourself? Thanks again for all of the input.

ps. I do have my own trailer that is rated for 2650
Old 05-16-2012, 02:43 PM
Registered

We owned a 1986 or 1987 Celebrity 181 or something for like 20 years with the 4.3l Merc. Sat in fresh water for 20 summers, never let us down. No problems with transom rot that were visible. The boat is still in use in our area, we see it at the gas dock from time to time.

The hull isn't of the best design, liked to porpose, was sensitive to trim but other than dead batteries throughout the years, it never let us down.

Don't know what size that one above is, but we have a pretty nice blue cover from ours that is sitting in our basement. You pay shipping and its yours.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.