Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Passenger Liability Waiver? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/276948-passenger-liability-waiver.html)

cmkworm 05-22-2012 12:48 AM

Passenger Liability Waiver?

So I got to thinking, we only usually allow close friends to boat with us. In June we are going to LOTO for the Support Our Troops Poker Run. My friend wants to bring a girl he just met out on the boat with us and my wife and I have never met her. Besides the insurance I was thinking about having my attorney draft up some sort of waiver for her or other passengers that I don't know too well to sign. Is this silly or a good idea? It seems that I have quite a bit at stake and boating is dangerous...Maybe I worry too much.

offshoresteve 05-22-2012 12:59 AM

Originally Posted by cmkworm (Post 3692879)
So I got to thinking, we only usually allow close friends to boat with us. In June we are going to LOTO for the Support Our Troops Poker Run. My friend wants to bring a girl he just met out on the boat with us and my wife and I have never met her. Besides the insurance I was thinking about having my attorney draft up some sort of waiver for her or other passengers that I don't know too well to sign. Is this silly or a good idea? It seems that I have quite a bit at stake and boating is dangerous...Maybe I worry too much.

It better be a Damn good waiver to actually work, if you have that kind of doubt, Don't Take Them!!!

fasthawk6 05-22-2012 04:24 AM

I was in a boating wreck last year,went to the ins company to get more ins coverage on passagers but i already have the max they offer and that will not cover a full day in the hospital.From here out when other people are with us there will be no higher speeds . Also my health ins company gave me a hard time about covering it.

Catastrophe 05-22-2012 04:46 AM

Originally Posted by offshoresteve (Post 3692884)
It better be a Damn good waiver to actually work, if you have that kind of doubt, Don't Take Them!!!

Close friends or not doesn't always make a difference.

One of my close friends sued me for 3.8 million for an accident we had in my boat.
And he was steering.

It went nowhere after 6 years of hearings but it got him off my Christmas card list.

aroraborialis 05-22-2012 05:36 AM

Wow sad

It is sad that we even have to think about this subject....what would happen if we all put a sticker in clear view that said "RIDE AT YOUR OWN RISK"...IMO unless you are charging people for rides they are volunteering to come aboard and shouldn't have any right to sue your ass if an acident occurs....but that ain't todays. Real world

phragle 05-22-2012 05:42 AM

in the real world, liability waivers are nothing more than pretty pieces of paper.

ChrisK 05-22-2012 05:53 AM

Happened to a friend if mine also. Someone he didn't know went out with him and they took a wave hard, she fell in the boat because she didn't know how to absorb tr impact with her legs, etc. she sued him for pain and suffering.. Little over a year later she got nothing and he had legal bills.

Indy 05-22-2012 07:00 AM

Originally Posted by phragle (Post 3692926)
in the real world, liability waivers are nothing more than pretty pieces of paper.

Not true, you can use them as wipes.

Save your $.001 and don't waste your time. Lawyers & legislators have made it so you can't do anything anymore without the threat of financial ruin...at their profit.

Sydwayz 05-22-2012 07:12 AM

Originally Posted by fasthawk6 (Post 3692909)
I was in a boating wreck last year,went to the ins company to get more ins coverage on passagers but i already have the max they offer and that will not cover a full day in the hospital...

Personal Liability Umbrella Policy also called PLUB or PLUP.

I would not go boating without it. Ask your insurance carrier, and do a search here on OSO.

skaterdave 05-22-2012 08:32 AM

you can pick up cheap ins. at homedepot.

1. 50' of rope
2. concrete blocks