servicing a hynautic steering system >

servicing a hynautic steering system

Notices

servicing a hynautic steering system

Old 06-12-2012, 03:59 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default servicing a hynautic steering system

Is anyone out there familiar with the Hynautic hydraulic steering system? I need to check the fluid level and all that but have no idea how to do it. I can't find anything online either.

It has the pressurized reservoir on it. Not sure how to depressurize it, fill it and repressurize it!? Is there a sight glass or something that I am missing?

I am not having any problems with it right now but its the first time its been on the water since last fall and don't want to end up stranded.
Old 06-12-2012, 04:08 PM
Registered

http://boaterstore.com/hynautics/info/rv-60.pdf

I found this, it shows the sight glass. But no information on how to top it off and repressurize it!
Old 06-12-2012, 04:11 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I found this... hope it helps!

http://www.lakestclair.net/index.php...eering-system/
Old 06-12-2012, 10:05 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

post a photo of what you have. It makes a difference. If i remember correctly, you needed have have the fluid 1/2 up the top sight glass on K5 rams and helm. I pressured a system to 15 lbs using a bike pump with no leaks and frequent checks every time out for 2-3 years. do not use an air chuck and compressor pressure use a hand bike pump. What helm do you have?
Old 06-13-2012, 10:56 AM
Registered

II have the hynautic 4202 helm if I remember correctly. The pressure gauge is showing 15# which is exactly where it was when I bought it. The sight glass is so badly oxidized that I can't see the level, but they make a bolt on kit for it as a replacement. I guess that's a common issue.

So I'm going to depressurize it and visually inspect the level with a flashlight. If its low what fluid do I need to refill with? By depressurizing the system, will I need to bleed air out of it afterwards?
Old 06-13-2012, 12:00 PM
B38
Registered

Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts

anywhere near half full is good to go, I use cheap walmart portable tire air compressor to bring pressure to 15#.On top of fill can is looks like a tire valve, remove to bleed pressure off and fill to half way with Trans fluid, if site glass is unreadable use a long wood pick for gauge, replace tire valve and pressurize. And no, you will not need to bleed the air out unless U remove lines from any part of the system. if so, fill tank half, pressure to 15#, turn wheel to left 15 times or till it stops turning the drive, always check level, fill if needed. then 15 times to right or till drive stops. check level again and represureize to 15. Air always comes to fill tank and fluid lowers. never let tank run dry or repeat all these steps again.
If still ?s call me 386-785-6986 Kurt.

I have same system and rebuilt it last year with great results. Awesome poduct.
B38
Originally Posted by waterboy222
II have the hynautic 4202 helm if I remember correctly. The pressure gauge is showing 15# which is exactly where it was when I bought it. The sight glass is so badly oxidized that I can't see the level, but they make a bolt on kit for it as a replacement. I guess that's a common issue.

So I'm going to depressurize it and visually inspect the level with a flashlight. If its low what fluid do I need to refill with? By depressurizing the system, will I need to bleed air out of it afterwards?

Last edited by B38; 06-13-2012 at 12:07 PM.
Old 06-13-2012, 12:08 PM
B38
Registered

Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts

Oops

Last edited by B38; 06-13-2012 at 12:10 PM.
Old 06-14-2012, 11:34 AM
Registered

Thanks a lot Kurt! Huge help! My only question now is what fluid!?

The way the tank was mounted, theres no way to add fluid. Its like the filled it and then mounted it up under the deck.

How do I fill it? I don't see a cap on the top? Do you fill it the same way you fill a lower unit with the screw in tube and all that?
Old 06-14-2012, 11:41 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

on top of the can there should be an aluminum hex head with the air valve on top. that's the fill hole.
Old 06-14-2012, 11:47 AM
JnT
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by waterboy222
http://boaterstore.com/hynautics/info/rv-60.pdf

I found this, it shows the sight glass. But no information on how to top it off and repressurize it!
Depressurize it with the valve that looks like a tire pressure stem on a car or bicycle. Unscrew part #7 in that diagram and thats your fill. It takes the same size wrench as a prop nut. If its mounted way under the deck where you can't get to the top maybe there is enough slack in the hose to pull it out and service it. Mine has 4 bolts securing the tank if I remember correct. I use a bicycle pump to air mine up.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.