FRUSTRATED! Broke another Prop Shaft on My Cat

Notices

FRUSTRATED! Broke another Prop Shaft on My Cat

Old 06-30-2002, 10:39 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Angry FRUSTRATED! Broke another Prop Shaft on My Cat

Last labor day I broke a port prop shaft on my 2000 28 Eliminator Daytona with Twin Factory Box Stock 500 EFI's. Today I broke the starboard Prop shaft exactly the same as the other. Both broke Flush with the bearing carrier. The only thing this time, I was running 93 mph in very smooth water and I didn't hit a thing.
Last time I did not hit anything either and was going only 45-50 mph. This time I cracked the prop shaft housing, in two places along with the loss of the shaft and lost prop and missed up the bearing carrier.
Question? Has anyone ever had their lower unit welded, and if yes, will it last, or should I take the hit and just buy a new lower unit. The prop shaft and prop, alone was $1200.00 before, with out any other damage.
I fell that mercury shoud be in on helping me out but I know I better not hold my breath.
Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. I'm trying to get it back together for the 4th.
At 9 am I will be at my local dealer trying to get some satisfaction!
Thanks for your help
Old 06-30-2002, 10:52 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Fountain, Your fun is just beginning. My Cat has blown 17 Bravos with 500EFI's, in 160 hrs..... It's mostly due to the high X dimensions that Cats enjoy.

Last edited by John B; 06-30-2002 at 10:59 PM.
Old 07-01-2002, 03:21 AM
Charter Member#157
Charter Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

damn am so glad I did not go with 500's then
only stock 502's and people give me crap about being slow
but I am so glad I have not had troubles like others have.
but then again I am easy on mine out of the hole and my x is very conservitive

best of luck getting it fixed before the 4th
I am making sure that I have an extra impellar this holiday
2 years in a row now I one or the other impellar has gone apart on the 4th
maybe i should just replace them both BEFORE getting to the water
cannot help on the welding but I would think that new is alot better then a patch down there.
Old 07-01-2002, 06:53 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

been there......done it. I sent you a private e-mail......I think it should have been a regular type mail.
Old 07-01-2002, 07:21 AM
Roy

I have a buddy w/99 28 Eliminator w/twin 500HP's. He has gone through 4 prop shafts and 6 sets of props.

Old 07-01-2002, 09:10 AM
Official OSO boat whore
Charter Member

****! I have 600hp and a sky high x! I CAN NOT afford to bust the drive!
Old 07-01-2002, 09:46 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Default No help at all

Thanks alot guys,
Maybe I should take up a collection like the homeless do and sit my boat by the ramp with a can in my hand?
Getting ready to head to an aircraft alum welder and see what he says until I can afford to up grade to xr's i guess. Bam says 6500.00 and some change to upgrade, or maybe I will trade in for a new boat? Hey thats an Idea!!!!!!1
Old 07-01-2002, 11:02 AM
onemomoto

I have a32 skater with a hi X, went through 2 shafts[500efi's-110gps].up graded to xr's1:26 flawless!!! If i could do it again i would go with xz's,the xr's have alittle wine at idle, no big deal i guess !! I also have a brand new lower shell off one of my xr's that is a high&low water pick up forsale call me if you want it 908-459-4985

Old 07-01-2002, 11:02 AM
Registered

Default Sorry to hear

F38, sorry to hear about your misfortune!

It was your experience last yr that prompted me to shop for a big shaft lower over the winter. merc (Dennis C) had told me that the 1" shaft would fatique and break on high x's- not if but when.

The alloy can be welded- the imco's get a bunch of plug welds as part of the casting process- merc maybe the same. The only issue would be how much gear oil if any has been absorbed into the aluminum- a good tig welder will know his chances as soon as he strikes an arc.

Call me at 479 636 4669, you can come hang out in our boat on Beaver. We've got great lake fireworks on the 4th and 5th.

Cat

PS- how'd she handle losing a wheel at 93?
Old 07-01-2002, 11:23 AM
onemomoto

catmando that could be a new thread[how did it handle].I lost one at 45 mph does'nt count.I also lost one locked in on 110-5 people in the boat,she slowed alittle,so i backed down . People in my boat all said why did you slow down ?[we were racing a friend] . We discoverd the prop was gone!!! I hope everyones experance is that smooth.

Quick Reply: FRUSTRATED! Broke another Prop Shaft on My Cat

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.