Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
USS Iowa.....last of the battleships is coming to rest in Los Angeles! >

USS Iowa.....last of the battleships is coming to rest in Los Angeles!

Notices

USS Iowa.....last of the battleships is coming to rest in Los Angeles!

Old 05-31-2012, 09:34 AM
Registered

Received 341 Likes on 119 Posts

I served on a Frigate in the mid 80's and was sent to a school in Norfolk. There was a Battleship towering above the harbor so I had to go have a look-see. It was the Iowa. What an awesome sight. She looked stunning back then and every sailor I knew would have loved to have gone to sea on her. I am so glad they are preserving her.
Old 05-31-2012, 09:36 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RIPJIVE9311
Redhook98
I live in Vegas and we store most the country's munitions in Hawthorn and a couple of years ago they had about six 16" barrels laying just inside the fence by the road,probably shot out,but they were a site to see when not on the ship.Wish we could have went in and seen them up close.

Yeah, they are pretty impressive. There are still a bunch of un-cut and bored barrels here for 16 and 14-inch guns on the racks down here. You know the 14-inchers are waaay old. From what I understand, there is still tens of thousands (or more) rounds left over from WWII that were never repurposed. Startling......
Old 05-31-2012, 09:38 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Marginmn
I served on a Frigate in the mid 80's and was sent to a school in Norfolk. There was a Battleship towering above the harbor so I had to go have a look-see. It was the Iowa. What an awesome sight. She looked stunning back then and every sailor I knew would have loved to have gone to sea on her. I am so glad they are preserving her.
I had a buddy on my first ship that cross-decked from the Missouri to the Chandler. He would tell us stories about it. Wasn't an easy ship to serve on, but would have been well worth it for the stories.....
Old 05-31-2012, 10:04 AM
Registered

Received 341 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by Redhook98
I had a buddy on my first ship that cross-decked from the Missouri to the Chandler. He would tell us stories about it. Wasn't an easy ship to serve on, but would have been well worth it for the stories.....
Yes, being a high profile ship my borderline haircut never would have passed muster on one of the Battle-wagons
Old 05-31-2012, 02:02 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I've crawled all over and through that ship. She's in incredibly good shape below decks, you should see inside the gun turrets. I was on deck during the re-positioning from the Mothball Fleet to the Port of Richmond and worked with Bay Ship & Yacht and Delta Sandblasting on her re-work. We worked on the Missouri's big refit a few years ago too.

Too bad the lefty loonies in the Bay Area are so against keeping her here, they pulled the same BS with the Missouri too, that's how she ended up in Pearl Harbour.

Last edited by Lofty; 05-31-2012 at 02:19 PM.
Old 05-31-2012, 02:26 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Lofty
I've crawled all over and through that ship. She's in incredibly good shape below decks, you should see inside the gun turrets. I was on deck during the re-positioning from the Mothball Fleet to the Port of Richmond and worked with Bay Ship & Yacht and Delta Sandblasting on her re-work. We worked on the Missouri's big refit a few years ago too.

Too bad the lefty loonies in the Bay Area are so against keeping her here, they pulled the same BS with the Missouri too, that's how she ended up in Pearl Harbour.

Yeah, but I think Pearl Harbor ended up being the perfect place for the Missouri. Right next to the AZ Memorial. Pretty impressive when seen from across the harbor. Beginning and end of WWII.

San Fran would have been fitting for a BB as well. Oh well. Maybe they will get shuffled around again inthe future. Ya never know.

Last edited by Redhook98; 05-31-2012 at 02:30 PM.
Old 05-31-2012, 02:31 PM
Registered

Pearl is the correct place, couldn't agree more. I wish we did keep some of these ships here but there are too many trustifarians in the Bay Area to ever let that happen. It's sad but the USS Nimitz is in the Bay this week and she has nowhere secure enought to tie up. Since they closed Alameda Air Naval we lost our maritime presence...
Old 05-31-2012, 02:36 PM
Registered

more.

Old 05-31-2012, 03:25 PM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Lofty
more.

Lofty

Great photos,
Yes, the Bay area sure did screw up keeping the Iowa, here,,cut off their nose to spite their face,

Thank you
Jim
Old 05-31-2012, 03:46 PM
Registered

[QUOTEThank you
Jim[/QUOTE]

Jim ,where are you in Danville? I'm in Danville too, my office is down on Oak Ct and I've been known to head down to Menars and Elliots... for meetings.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.