Notices

Afraid to Ask ? Jay13

Old 07-01-2002, 08:54 AM
Registered

Received 43 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Afraid to Ask ? Jay13

How did it go this weekend Motors back in?
Old 07-01-2002, 09:19 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

lets hear it man!!! i hope they ran great??? what's up???
Old 07-01-2002, 09:37 AM
Registered

Well first im one hurtin pup
besides whining like a girl, They are in,
Had a real ***** of a time aligning the engines to the gimbal bearings but got that done yesterday and DRIVES ARE ON!!!
That took way longer than I expected. One engine was about 3.4 inch off to the side and would not line up. I got a 4x4 post 10 feet long, braced it on the top of the engine compartment, undid the 4 bolts and nuts holding down the engine, and used a rachet strap and 2 bolts on the bell housing, cranked that rachet strap up to shift the engine, then hit the 4x4 with a hammer and engine went right over and into alignment. the alignment tool saved my ass and is much easier than using the damn drive as a trial and error tool. alignment took about 4-5 hrs for both engines. If it was not that bad, it would be running now. The drives have no leaking fluid (except for the preliminary goo that comes out when the check ball moved open when you first connect the drive)
Uhh what else
all PS stuff is hooked up, new oil/ps coolers ect on both engines as per Ike's suggestion when he got the #2 motor out, he mentioned that it would be a good idea to do this.
All belts hooked up and tight, starting on hoses today after work, then carbs, caps, rotors, exhaust risers, battery is now charged (charged for about 8 or so hrs yesterday)
then see about setting the timing ect.
I should get them running tonight I would think if it is not too late, if it is, then tomorrow after work is the initial break in period,
Have to get them running at different rpm's for about 20 minutes, change oil and oil filters, then it is sea test time.
Have a timing light so Im going to start at 8*
Ill bring a wrench with me and the timing light on the sea test to see if it wants to be bumped to 10 or not, we all know being under load and being on the trailer just revving it, are 2 completely different things.
Im getting there slowly but making alot of progress.
Im really pumped to hear these with the cams I selected too.
Dont know if the neighbors are going to love me though since im basically running dry exhaust now. MUHAHAHAHAHA
screw em, did not pay all this money for my house for someone to tell me what I can and cant do.

Any way like I said im almost there, few more hours working on it and it should fire up, then the fun task of cleaning the damn boat, I have grease and crud over the cockpit floor and swim platform.
The bilge managed to stay relatively clean though, some PS fluid under one motor but that was about it.
(wiped that up with a rag)
Ahhhh what else
I am going to have to replace my exhaust tips cause the anti burn flapper inside the tip (old tip with the rubber flapper on the outside) all of them are 1/2 gone
So the reversion flapper needs to be replaced so I think im just going to buy some gil tips with the metal anti burn flapper internally , they look better and close better.
with the internal pipe ending about 2-3 inches before that flapper I am thinking rubber is just going to get torched anyway. (using riser extensions -- steel pipe wedged into riser and sealed to prevent water/exhaust from mixing at the riser outlet, making it travel about 13 inches further down the pipes to about the tips before they mix to prevent any reversion issues)
So have to finish making exhaust extensions and get risers on. (do I use gasket sealer with riser gaskets or just put them on dry?)
install carbs, install all thermostat housing hoses to manifolds and risers,
install caps, rotors, ignition wires, and that should just about do it.
Then hook up the battery and see if my twins will be born!!!!
Jason
Old 07-03-2002, 08:56 AM
Registered

Well update time

As stated above, engines are all in, now all the carbs, fuel lines ect are all in, exhaust is all cut, fit, refitted and ready to be installed.
Then hook up the battery and away we go
set the timing and kablam
I should have them running by this afternoon and if there is enough sun light
take it down to the river and splash it and see how the sea demp goes
TOday
My twins will be born!
Jason
Old 07-03-2002, 09:03 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Well, what are ya waiting for. Quit yer typing, and begin the wrenching...Give 'em some air already, let 'em breathe and come to life!!!!

Good luck, buddy! Let us know after you get her wet!
Old 07-03-2002, 09:07 AM
Registered

ive got my fingers crossed for you buddie!! i want to hear some GOOD news.
Old 07-03-2002, 09:48 AM
Registered

Hey Nick, yeah man, it is this annoying thing called work that keeps screwing me all up ya know
Last night, I got new riser bolts and all that jazz and put it all together.
All I have to do is put 2 flame arrestors on, hook up the battery, put on the muffs and kablam
but it was 10:10 PM
Im like F**K F**K F**K F**K F**K F**K
So after calming down I said okay TOMORROW i give birth to the twins!!!
Jason
Old 07-03-2002, 09:53 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I hear ya man! I hate it when work get in the way!

Just call in a bomb threat and leave...[Just Kidding!]