Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   what documents are needed when towing thru canada ? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/277648-what-documents-needed-when-towing-thru-canada.html)

scarab63 05-31-2012 11:57 AM

what documents are needed when towing thru canada ?

Will be headed from mass to Michigan next month & cutting thru Canada vs down around thru upper pa & Ohio will save me 3 hrs travel.
Is there anything to be aware of when transporting boats thru another country?
Thanks, MD

RivMan 05-31-2012 12:44 PM

I've towed a 17' fishing boat across and back without any problem. Not sure if there's any special restrictions for larger boats.

-Rob

Perlmudder 05-31-2012 12:54 PM

If you are towing the pantera, then just make sure you have the boat ownership and reg, and the trailer reg. Otherwise just tell them where you are going and they will not give you any problems. I am assuming you are going for boating so there should be no problem. The only time they ask questions is if you are getting work done in Canada, or planning on staying for an extended length of time.

Hellbent 05-31-2012 01:16 PM

To get in/out of Canada you need a passport or one of those North America ID's. Have all your vehicle/boat registration/documentation readily available. Getting into Canada is easy. Getting out can be a pain. They want to be sure they get any money due to them and if they have a bug up their butt for you they'll go through everything...and I mean everything. It all depends on who you get at the booth and your attitude. Best advice I can give you is for everyone in the vehicle to sport a smile. DO NOT WEAR SUNGLASSES when you pull up to the booth. That goes for everyone in the vehicle. They're trained to watch your eyes. If you have sunglasses on it's an immediate excuse for them to suspect something. They'll want to know where you're going, for how long etc. They'll also ask if you bought anything in Canada. Don't just say 'No'. If you stopped at a gas station and bought some cigarettes, fuel, or candy bars....tell them so. They may ask you questions to try to trip you up. I'm assuming you're going up to Traverse City. It would be common for them to ask you something like 'How's the fishing up there in Traverse City?' They don't give a crap how the fishing is...they just want to see if you get nervous or not. Oh and don't buy the drugs & beer until you're in Michigan...and make sure it's all gone before you head back. You can drop the extra stuff off with me if you need to.

scarab63 05-31-2012 01:27 PM

Ok....thanks all.
now this.....

Boat & trl in my girls name, she won't be coming.
Tow rig is company truck in company name.

Red flags? Try to pass thru, or stay in good ol US of A?

Thanks, MD

Hellbent 05-31-2012 02:26 PM

As long as you have the documents/registrations you should be okay. They may run the numbers to check it out but the only way they're even going to ask for anything other than passports from anyone in the vehicle is if you give them a reason to so just be cool and polite and you shouldn't have any troubles.

They actually have camera systems that run the tags before you even get to the booth. If there's an issue with a vehicle they'll tell you. lol

onesickpantera 05-31-2012 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by Hellbent (Post 3699477)
To get in/out of Canada you need a passport or one of those North America ID's. Have all your vehicle/boat registration/documentation readily available. Getting into Canada is easy. Getting out can be a pain. They want to be sure they get any money due to them and if they have a bug up their butt for you they'll go through everything...and I mean everything. It all depends on who you get at the booth and your attitude. Best advice I can give you is for everyone in the vehicle to sport a smile. DO NOT WEAR SUNGLASSES when you pull up to the booth. That goes for everyone in the vehicle. They're trained to watch your eyes. If you have sunglasses on it's an immediate excuse for them to suspect something. They'll want to know where you're going, for how long etc. They'll also ask if you bought anything in Canada. Don't just say 'No'. If you stopped at a gas station and bought some cigarettes, fuel, or candy bars....tell them so. They may ask you questions to try to trip you up. I'm assuming you're going up to Traverse City. It would be common for them to ask you something like 'How's the fishing up there in Traverse City?' They don't give a crap how the fishing is...they just want to see if you get nervous or not. Oh and don't buy the drugs & beer until you're in Michigan...and make sure it's all gone before you head back. You can drop the extra stuff off with me if you need to.

Good advice! Where in MI you headed?

articfriends 05-31-2012 05:52 PM

When I drive thru Canada I usually hide my Gun and Weed in the boat in a box duct taped closed with a old fashioned alarm clock in with it ticking, don't leave that stuff lying in plain site! Seriously though, last time I drove thru Canada going on vaca in New hampshire with my boat I took a spare drive with me, I built a wooden crate and bolted it to the box of my truck with top and sides screwed shut, it was in the open in plain site and they never asked me what was in it going either way , I sorta expected that would be the FIRST thing they would ask! I know they were running my plates while they talked to me , IF anyone has ever had any pot or anything else in your truck or if you haven't drove it a long time I would vacuum it out thourghly just to be 100% sure theres nothing there to get you in trouble, Smitty

Interceptor 05-31-2012 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by scarab63 (Post 3699406)
Will be headed from mass to Michigan next month & cutting thru Canada vs down around thru upper pa & Ohio will save me 3 hrs travel.
Is there anything to be aware of when transporting boats thru another country?
Thanks, MD

I had a bad experience with Canadian customs when crossing at Buffalo. They wanted to know why I wasn't bonded and what would prevent me from selling the boat in Canada and taking the money out of Canada.
After I expressed my stupidity regarding customs regulations they let me go through.
ed

88242LS 05-31-2012 06:12 PM

you will be fine last year my buddy borrowed are friends truck, another friends trailer, and towed his car up for dream cruise, no biggie, the only way I'd avoid CA is if you just bought a vehicle and it was unregistered, otherwise pass thru, its not there first rodeo and you won't be the first to travel thru to get into Mich for boating