Notices

454 build with pictures

Old 06-01-2012, 07:37 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 454 build with pictures

I'm just posting some progress pics of my current 454 build. Motor was built last summer as a 468 basic 330 hp style motor. We ran it last summer (95 hours) and we had a great time. As with anything speed is the driving force so we wanted a little more this year. Well fiance didn't care, but I want more.

It started by disassembling the current 468. The crank and rod bearings showed no signs of wear so they were reused. The flat top pistons also showed no signs of wear so they were reused, but I did add a set of rings as they were cheap. I opted to go with a set of 781 heads because I've seen others use them on this site and I had them and felt they were enough for this mild build. For sure would be better then the peanut ports that were on it. The heads got 2.19 intake valves and 1.88 exhaust, bowl hogged to 90% of the valve size, bowl blending, gasket matched, and overall cleaned up. The cam is a .507 intake .510 exhaust with 224 duration on intake and exhaust. Also added a double roller timing chain to replace the dump truck looking one that was on there. I had a pro comp high rise dual plane intake (edelbrock knock off) so I ported the runners (basic clean up) and gasket matched them to the heads. For now I'm going to use the q-jet carb as I've read the the bigger holley won't help all that much, but will add one if I can find a deal on one. For now I'm using stock manifolds (I know...junk) until I can get something else. I got a deal on a set of crane gold roller rockers so they went on as well.

I know this isn't a exciting 900+ hp build, but figured some would be interested as I like reading about other members builds.

Here are some pictures of the progress. I have to cut .030 off the intake tomorrow morning to get the ports to align properly and then I will start bolting on the accessories and put the motor in the boat. I hope to take a run in the boat on sunday so I will report back with results (good or bad).

These are the heads that came off of the motor. Standard peanuts.

Intake after being cleaned up and gasket matched.

Picture of the heads with gasket.

Just a side by comparison of some peanut ports that were laying near by. The angle wasn't quite right on the peanuts to show how bad they are, but you get the idea.

How the motor was left when I left the shop today. Looking forward to tomorrow so I can finish it up.

This is a pic of the boat its going in. Its a 89 baja 235 force. I found the boat on this site last summer. We are not football fans so don't hold the LOUD wrap against us.

Sorry for being so long winded.

CP
Old 06-01-2012, 07:48 PM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

nice job on the ports,i think you will be pleasantly suprised with the end result.
Old 06-02-2012, 06:22 AM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

is it posssible to paint over a vinyl wrap? hell, latex and a roller...buck an ear...expensive corn. is that cam coming a little close to reversion territory with stock manifolds?
Old 06-02-2012, 07:52 AM
Registered

Received 75 Likes on 31 Posts

keep posting - good stuff for us working slobs on a budget. I have a pair of complete 454 330hp closed cooling mercs and am curious what they are capable of..
Old 06-02-2012, 09:03 PM
Registered

What a long day!! Got the motor done today and installed in the boat. Everything is hooked up and ready to go. Started it on the hose and set the timing and all is good. I'm hoping to try it out tomorrow. I'll let you guys know tomorrow of any gains or losses.
Old 06-05-2012, 04:44 PM
Registered

Just posting to give some updates on how the motor did on sunday. A little info on the prop setup as to give and idea of performance numbers before the new motor work. The boat had 23p mirage plus that would spin to 5100 rpms. I didn't want to spin the motor that high so I put a 25p mirage plus on. With the 25p mirage I could only get about 4100 rpms which led me to believe that the 23p I had must have been reworked smaller then a 23p. The one thing I really like about the 25p is the great 3500 cruise speed (49-50mph). Even though the prop is big I'm not in the secondaries on the q-jet at 3500. They are just barely starting to open. Anyway, for comparison sake before engine work I was at 4100 rpms and after the work I was at 4300-4400, BUT I made no change to the q-jet carb and after a couple plug readings and could feel the boat lay over around 4000 rpms, I knew the motor was WAY to lean. The plugs were white and could see a few small specs on the porcelain which lead me to believe I had a bit of detonation going on. The test was with 3 people and a full tank of gas (62 gallons).

I'm not very familiar with q-jet carbs, so I'm rebuilding a holley 750 vacuum secondary to use for the upcoming weekend/poker run. I haven't gained much as of yet (250 rpms over propped), but I feel there is a good bit more to be had once I get more fuel to the motor. The motor is def. stronger as it takes much less effort to get on plane.

Hope to have more results later in the week as I'm trying to go out and test a bit more with a different carb before the weekend.

cp