Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Honda gen in engine bay... >

Honda gen in engine bay...

Notices

Honda gen in engine bay...

Old 06-08-2012, 10:46 AM
Registered

Received 94 Likes on 22 Posts

Just strap it to the swim platform and call it done.....
Old 06-08-2012, 10:57 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Ted G
Same thing as towing a 38 foot boat with a 1500 Pickup, you can do it all day long. But why give the insurance company a way to walk away from the claim and leave you to face all the lawsuits?

BINGO!

Lets see, not USCG certified, not Honda approved, running engine in an enclosed bilge with HUGE potential for exhaust leaks since the Honda gasket is seriously not designed for the backpressure the underwater exhaust produces, open non UL certified spark arrested generator..

Gee, what could POSSIBLY go wrong?
Old 06-08-2012, 07:41 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good bad or indifferent, e ticket boats has many many boats with this type of genny installed at the factory. It's a factory option, not a stereo installer add on. I know more than one person with this set up and they love it and have had no issues. I guess to each his own. I personally would have no issues with it as long as it was installed well and would only run it with the hatch wide open.
Old 06-08-2012, 07:46 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Hmm, this thread probably makes an even dozen threads on this same topic here on OSO! Do a search!!
Old 07-21-2012, 11:01 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

If you strap the gen on the swim platform is there any reason to run the exhaust underwater? Or even have a pipe that extends it 6or 8 foot in the air. To me storing it is th biggest issue and I would love to store it in the engine compartment but I have heard so much feedback about the gas fumes from the carb etc that it worries me some also.