Trailer repainting. How much $$$$$$ >

Trailer repainting. How much $$$$$$

Notices

Trailer repainting. How much $$$$$$

Old 06-14-2012, 07:17 PM
Registered

Received 734 Likes on 329 Posts

Originally Posted by dereknkathy
it is a trailer. call me cheap, but; get an air compressor. get a cheap sand blaster. get a cheap gun. go to town!!
That's what I was thinking.
Old 06-15-2012, 07:48 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It takes a serious air compressor to run a sand blaster which is big enough to tackle an offshore size trailer. Not to mention the media and mess that is required/made. If it's a one time thing, it's far cheaper and easier to bring it to a professional blaster!
Old 06-15-2012, 07:51 AM
Registered

Btw, if it's just a few small spots that need to be done, a DIY at home sand blasting project is certainly an option, just realize doing signicant blasting would be a PITA.
Old 06-15-2012, 08:26 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Florida Floater

My understanding is the EPA has become very strict about spent media and contaminates so look forward to delivering the trailer to a facility.

That is exactly what drove me out of industrial blasting. 8 out of 10 guys doing blasting for hire nowadays are doing it illegally. I would strongly advise taking it to a compliant reputable shop. Any idiot can pick up a blaster and start knocking paint off, he can also screw your parts up beyond repair if he lacks experience. Like everything else, you get what you pay for. Plan on rewiring and new bearings after your done.
Old 06-15-2012, 07:19 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

i believe EPA rules are different for commercial operations than backyard a$$h@les like us. i know that is the case for removing asbestos from a home...
Old 06-15-2012, 09:51 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I went through the same thing on my last trailer. Stripped it of everything except one axles worth of tires, had it blasted, then took it to a body shop for paint. I think they had the clean-up boy try his hand at painting, let's just say his first attempt wasn't going to get him on West Coast Customs! Runs all over the box channel. The reality is, it's alot of screwing around, and wasted paint, due to what you're painting. It's not brain surgery, but unless you do it yourself, it's not going to be cheap for a quality job, and the space needed for a booth becomes problematic. Hopefully, you know somebody who'll deliver a good product!!
Old 06-15-2012, 11:37 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default fixx

Originally Posted by Smitty
I have a 2000 Heritage triple axle trailer that will need to be repainted soon. It is white and rust is taking over in some spots. It will need some sandblasting. I will remove the bunks and replace them. How much $$$$ am I looking at ??? It is about 42 ft long. And it is going to get painted black.

Added- It is a steel trailer. Has rusty spots but I would guess blasting whole thing would be bets.
smitty,theirs a place in bensinville,dont remember their number but you pull the trailer inside they grab it with a overhead crane and straps,two mexicans go at it and its done in a few hours..i believe they will also epoxy prime it and may paint it as well..
Old 06-16-2012, 08:46 AM
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mr Fix--

That sounds like exactly what I am looking for. I am going from white to black in color. That will hide the flaws and if rust comes back, it is less obvious. Due to the economy, I will be owning this boat for another 10 years