I apologize to all OSO members >

I apologize to all OSO members

Notices

I apologize to all OSO members

Old 07-02-2002, 11:50 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I apologize to all OSO members

I want to apologize to everyone for my remarks to the atheists on this board. Although I never said anything against what the choose to believe, one individual seems to take joy in smashing other peoples beliefs while claiming that is what we are doing to them. My buttons got pushed on the pledge of allegiance thread by one individual. I will not be posting on this board for a while. I think I'll spend some more time on my own site where at least I get respect from ALL the members.

GOODBYE
Old 07-02-2002, 11:53 AM
supercrash

What he is talking about is him threatening me with murder , he said he wanted to come to my house and blow some holes in my head....the reason he won't be spending time on the board is because the Board gods got on him..

Old 07-02-2002, 12:02 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

unfortunately, when I see responses from "that individual" (don't we all know who that is ????) I have a tendency to ignore & not read his responses. His arguments & the rebuttal to his arguments somehow destroys the interest I may have in a particular post. Everyone has their opinion, but his is so radical (to me) as to be untasteful to me.
This is a boating/boater site and therefore we need to not "wash any radical political agendas".
Let's stay fun & talk boats!!
My .02
Old 07-02-2002, 12:03 PM
mlitefan

Crash...you are a troll...you love this crap...admit it...

If you didn't you wouldn't push the buttons you push...It's not enough that YOU don't believe in God...you have to rub everyone’s nose in it...

You sir...and I use the term loosely...are an asswipe...

Now I have 5 glorious days of boating ahead of me...have at it...

Simply stated...I will follow my own advice and stop feeding the trolls...

What is a Troll?

An Internet "troll" is a person who delights in sowing discord on the Internet. He (and it is usually he) tries to start arguments and upset people.

Trolls see Internet communications services as convenient venues for their bizarre game. For some reason, they don't "get" that they are hurting real people. To them, other Internet users are not quite human but are a kind of digital abstraction. As a result, they feel no sorrow whatsoever for the pain they inflict. Indeed, the greater the suffering they cause, the greater their 'achievement' (as they see it). At the moment, the relative anonymity of the net allows trolls to flourish.

Trolls are utterly impervious to criticism (constructive or otherwise). You cannot negotiate with them; you cannot cause them to feel shame or compassion; you cannot reason with them. They cannot be made to feel remorse. For some reason, trolls do not feel they are bound by the rules of courtesy or social responsibility.

Perhaps this sounds inconceivable. You may think, "Surely there is something I can write that will change them." But a true troll can not be changed by mere words.

Why does it Matter?

Some people -- particularly those who have been online for years -- are not upset by trolls and consider them an inevitable hazard of using the net. As the saying goes, "You can't have a picnic without ants."

It would be nice if everybody was so easy-going, but the sad fact is that trolls do discourage people. Established posters may leave a message board because of the arguments that trolls ignite, and lurkers (people who read but do not post) may decide that they do not want to expose themselves to abuse and thus never get involved.

Another problem is that the negative emotions stirred up by trolls leak over into other discussions. Normally affable people can become bitter after reading an angry interchange between a troll and his victims, and this can poison previously friendly interactions between long-time users.

Finally, trolls create a paranoid environment, such that a casual criticism by a new arrival can elicit a ferocious and inappropriate backlash.

The Internet is a wonderful resource which is breaking down barriers and stripping away prejudice. Trolls threaten our continued enjoyment of this beautiful forum for ideas.

What can be Done about Trolls?

When you suspect that somebody is a troll, you might try responding with a polite, mild message to see if it's just somebody in a bad mood. Internet users sometimes let their passions get away from them when seated safely behind their keyboard. If you ignore their bluster and respond in a pleasant manner, they usually calm down.

However, if the person persists in being beastly, and seems to enjoy being unpleasant, the only effective position is summed up as follows:

The only way to deal with trolls is to limit your reaction to reminding others not to respond to trolls.

When you try to reason with a troll, he wins. When you insult a troll, he wins. When you scream at a troll, he wins. The only thing that trolls can't handle is being ignored.

Old 07-02-2002, 12:07 PM
Registered

Originally posted by mlitefan

You sir...and I use the term loosely...are an asswipe...
Hey now, don't insult all the asswipes in the world that way! That's just cold...
Old 07-02-2002, 12:08 PM
supercrash

Ok guys I post bible verse after bible verse to prove my point , then you say my argument is weak and stupid , and radical...Ironic , those are the same words that I use to describe the bible to....So we do have something in commen after all...

Old 07-02-2002, 12:09 PM
Registered

I ignore him.....I would suggest that everyone else does as well. He won't stick around too long if there is noone to blast.......
Old 07-02-2002, 12:11 PM
mlitefan

Well...I almost forgot the most important part...

Trolls...Why Do They Do It?

Affirmation.

Regular net users know how delightful it is when somebody responds to something they have written. It is a meeting of the minds, which is an intellectual thrill, but it is also an acknowledgement of one's value -- and that can be a very satisfying emotional reward.

Trolls crave attention, and they care not whether it is positive or negative. They see the Internet as a mirror in which they can gaze in narcissistic rapture.

If you want a deeper analysis than that, perhaps a psychologist can shed some additional light on the matter.

Old 07-02-2002, 12:18 PM
Registered

Default This is not a threat you MORON

I guess there would be nothing wrong with me coming over and blowing a couple of very large holes in your head if I were an atheist since there are no rules except the ones you make up in your head. Give me your address and I might just try this theory.
I think I am done with this board. Have fun with CRASH. I don't need it.
Old 07-02-2002, 12:20 PM
supercrash

Funny how my debating gets you guys all in a fit , But someone using the board to make threats of murder and blowing multiple holes in my head doesn't phase you....If I would have said that EVERYBODY would pile on and bash me...Bias on this board, noway.....Everybody knows that when you have nothing intelligent left to say , then the namecalling starts...nothing new..

Quick Reply: I apologize to all OSO members

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.