Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Think You're A Stud? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/278682-think-youre-stud.html)

Twin O/B Sonic 06-15-2012 04:50 AM

Think You're A Stud?

Check these guys out. This is on my bucket list to go to Australia and watch these guys. Have seen tons of video but this may be the best.
Almost all of the unlimited class are twin turbo boats. They have boats designed from chalk board on, just for this competition.
Kind of refreshing too to see a society willing to put it on the line compared to us having everything so sterile and protecting us from ourselves.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...v=Ggn2vFp7PsQ#

Sunrocket24 06-15-2012 06:15 AM

That's crazy!

jayboat 06-15-2012 06:39 AM

Phuck. Can't imagine goin' 120 on skis. :eekdrop:

the deep 06-15-2012 07:13 AM

Yea man , now that takes a set . :poopoo:

wellcrafted 06-15-2012 07:26 AM

Originally Posted by jayboat (Post 3709991)
Phuck. Can't imagine goin' 120 on skis. :eekdrop:

One ski not 2 , plain old crazy :eekdrop:

bulletbob 06-15-2012 07:27 AM

I would love a ride in that boat. Screw the skiing part. Nuggin futs!

Propster 06-15-2012 08:18 AM

Did you notice the skiers were just wearing barefoot ski suits? Not much protection if they fall hard! Guess a life jacket would not stay on at those speeds.

Jolley 06-15-2012 08:49 AM

That is way intense........... Gotta look up the boats and how they set them up ??????? 123 mph on ski's :angry-smiley-044:

Wally 06-15-2012 09:01 AM

I dunno,....i think the catalina ski guys are tougher. I know these guys are running 120+mph...but its all smooth water. No traffic as far as i can see...catalina is running in the open ocean for 62 miles at 70mph+ over what ever washing machine water there may be out there....and other boat traffic to boot

Captain YARRR 06-15-2012 09:05 AM

Unfreakingbelievable! That is impressive.

Are there any videos of wipe outs going that fast? Do people live? :)

speicher lane 06-15-2012 09:55 AM

and how far do they skip like a stone down the river??? OMG - cool vid

Too Stroked 06-15-2012 10:04 AM

Falling at that speed must lead to removing your testicles with dental floss.

customryder 06-15-2012 10:05 AM

awesome that has to be a rush!

jayboat 06-15-2012 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by Wally (Post 3710103)
I dunno,....i think the catalina ski guys are tougher. I know these guys are running 120+mph...but its all smooth water. No traffic as far as i can see...catalina is running in the open ocean for 62 miles at 70mph+ over what ever washing machine water there may be out there....and other boat traffic to boot

Is it two different animals?

The Catalina guys put the handle between their legs and kinda sit on it while holding the rope, right? I would think at these speeds you gotta have more fine control? At 120 there is no such thing as calm water.

huskyrider 06-15-2012 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by speicher lane (Post 3710143)
and how far do they skip like a stone down the river??? OMG - cool vid

The first thing that crossed my mind was how many times would you skip and how far you'd go after a crash before you broke through the water and came to a stop. I saw 124 and some change as the highest speed and lots of mid to high teens sustained.
That's a mighty narrow channel of water to eat it in a turn at those speeds.
On the 3rd to last turn the boat never got below 100 and even with the skiers taking the inside arc they're still hauling ass.
One of the turns in the middle of the video had some lane buoys that looked damn close to the shoreline.

Hats off to the competitors in that event. :coolcowboy:
Grandes cajones indeed !!!

See ya,
Kelly

Go Big 06-15-2012 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by jayboat (Post 3710199)

The Catalina guys put the handle between their legs and kinda sit on it while holding the rope, right? I would think at these speeds you gotta have more fine control? At 120 there is no such thing as calm water.

None of them put the rope/handle between their legs. These guys and the Catalina guys ski in the same stance and type of equipmnet.

Wally 06-15-2012 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by jayboat (Post 3710199)

It is two different animals....the catalina guys do have the rope between their legs...some wrap the cord around one side of their waist and hold on with the other hand behind their backs....what ever works for them....point is (IMO) that running at 75mph in the ocean where you get swells and chop alot different then runnign at 120 over smooth (albeit churned by a jet) water....anyone who has waterskid behind a boat doesnt mind sitting in the prop wash water behind the boat but hit some swells from a crossing boat and you get nervous....now do the same at 75mph and have a constant bobbing around from waves..... :)

lucky strike 06-15-2012 03:47 PM

That's just nuts!

chris@uga 06-15-2012 04:15 PM

I think a fair number of those boats are LS based twin turbo engines.

That just shows that an LS application can be excellent in a smaller boat.

dereknkathy 06-15-2012 04:17 PM

in this country the marine police would be chasing them cuz the whole stretch is a no-wake zone...another worth watching is jet boat racing in class 5 rapids 75 to 100 miles an hour over huge rocks.

Captain YARRR 06-15-2012 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by chris@uga (Post 3710349)
I think a fair number of those boats are LS based twin turbo engines.

That just shows that an LS application can be excellent in a smaller boat.

I seem to recall in another thread there is no market for those ;)

Dean Ferry 06-15-2012 06:38 PM

Wow that is crazzzzzy. I think if they fall in a corner, they might end up land, which would be a very bad thing!

Donzi Dude 06-15-2012 06:38 PM

I'm having a little trouble believing those speeds.
When I'm running flat out, lower 90s the shore line is blowing by a lot faster that that appears.

Twin O/B Sonic 06-15-2012 07:54 PM

Nope.

Originally Posted by Donzi Dude (Post 3710411)
I'm having a little trouble believing those speeds.
When I'm running flat out, lower 90s the shore line is blowing by a lot faster that that appears.

They do it. I have friends that have done it for yrs. It's the real deal and is bad ass.
One of my buddies has owned the unlimited O/B class w/a single JohnRude that he built pulling two skiers @ a 90 MPH average including winning the Bridge to Bridge which is their mack daddy race.

On the Catalina Island comparo, no doubt those guys are studs too but......., 75 in a straight line behind a giant Vee bottom or a buck twenty behind a ski boat through a winding freagin creek bed :helmet:
Would you rather fall at 75 or 50 MPH's faster than that?

Wally 06-15-2012 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by Twin O/B Sonic (Post 3710441)
On the Catalina Island comparo, no doubt those guys are studs too but......., 75 in a straight line behind a giant Vee bottom or a buck twenty behind a ski boat through a winding freagin creek bed :helmet:
Would you rather fall at 75 or 50 MPH's faster than that?

ok...how about this then...they are doing a constant 120mph...(lets just say)....so thats 2miles per minute...and its a straight shot down a river..no bends.....they would have to do that, at those speeds, for 25min to cover the ground of the catalina run....that run in the video was second place at 4min& 50 sec.

ChrisK 06-16-2012 01:14 AM

Yeah.... Not just no, but hell Fukin no way in any way shape or form no....

gmst2 06-16-2012 04:57 AM

That is a 20 kilometer run to determine poll position.
The actual race is 100 kilometers.
Boats are limited to a max length of 6.3 meters.

Twin O/B Sonic 06-16-2012 06:39 AM

Yep.

Originally Posted by gmst2 (Post 3710567)
That is a 20 kilometer run to determine poll position.
The actual race is 100 kilometers.
Boats are limited to a max length of 6.3 meters.

How long is the Bridge to Bridge?? Thinking that's nearly and hour run depending on class ??
And to Wally, never seen one of their races on a straight river. Pretty sure they'd go somewhere else if that was the case ;)
Go to youtube and search "bridge to bridge" before making your mind up.