Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   e120 Raymarine issues need help (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/278807-e120-raymarine-issues-need-help.html)

NORTECH-ANGLER 06-17-2012 07:08 PM

e120 Raymarine issues need help

I have 2- e120 raymarine that I use for gps and sounder. Everytime I go to the lake something new happens with it! I have never seen such a piece of $hit unit. I have mostly used Garmin without any issues.

Last several weeks the DSM warning alarm comes on that states LOST CONNECTION? WTF. It did this every few minutes... The next week after that everything was fine.

THis week I have no sounder for some reason. It will not read. It is mounted through the hull! Had this problem before but the next time I went back up there it was fine.

Now I have it again! Does anyone else have issues like this??? I have reset both units...

I just purchased a 2007 pursuit that is a brand new boat. But, every weekend I have used it the Raymarine always has an issue.

Does anyone else have any problems like this? It also needs calibrated. It is a little off as well when I go into the channel.

ANy help would be appreicated! Thanks

THLWL 06-17-2012 07:19 PM

Mine is doing the exact same thing. "DSM lost connection" every few minutes and hitting the "acknowledge" button only silences it for a short period of time. Now my depth indicator is also not working. Sounds like Raymarine is needing some updating. I did some research and looks like an update to solve this problem is a possibility. But also looks like a pain in the a.. to update it. I put in a work order at my marina yesterday and will see if they can quickly solve. Hope some Raymarine experts can assist on OSO.

BoatShow239 06-17-2012 07:49 PM

Certainly not a Raymarine expert... but...

A general statement about this type of electronics... buy a sextant, a marine chronograph and a lead weight on a line!!!

OK, maybe not...

The most common "fix" to these kind of questions has to do with a ground issue. If not the main ground, the ground between periphials and the display. A wire problem going to the right side can effect the left side, if you know what I mean.

I have this unit with all the whistles and bells. My biggest problems have been with radar and auto helm. I am going to donate the boat to a fund raiser and keep the Raymarine equipment, but I really don't know why. I likely will not use it on anything else and have much better service from Garmin.

There are a couple of positive things to say about Raymarine. They seem to support their equipment as long as you have it. When I or my service guy have called, they have been wonderful to work with.

One of my issues ended up being a loose connection on a periphial which had nothing to do with the symptoms. In another case which never seemed to be even slightly logical... my chip was out dated! Don't think there is a two way satellite communication system, but as soon as the update was completed correctly, issue went away.

Not always the case, but if intermittent, it is likely either a connection or wire issue, not a component issue.

JETDOC 06-17-2012 08:50 PM

Get that boat painted maize & blue & everything will work better

NORTECH-ANGLER 06-18-2012 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by JETDOC (Post 3711307)
Get that boat painted maize & blue & everything will work better

My xrt is painted that color....LOL..and my raymarine still is screwed up! Now what?

Lauderdaleboats 06-18-2012 07:00 PM

I deal with this situation on a weekly basis with my customers boats. Another one came in this morning with the same problem. Problem lies in the Seatalk HS network switch. Raymarine part # E55058. Approx $320.00. If you are currently running 2 X e120's, if you switch one off and set the other to master you'll notice the problem disappears. Fire it back up and you'll get the lost dsm message again.

On the issue with the boat showing a track outside of the channel while you are in the channel. On the chart screen, lower screen menu, under presentation, you will have an offset option 'off-1/3-2/3'. see where it is set. Offsetting 1/3 or 2/3 will move the boat/curser position to stbd. Find a location during your travels that has a documented lat/long location like a Marina. Play with the offset til the vessel shows the same coordinates.

If you need any more info please PM me.

Abaco Blue 08-20-2012 06:57 PM

Raymarine Network Switch

I think that I have the same issues in my boat with Raymarine's network switch. How have you solved the issue in the past? Does one have to buy another raymarine network switch and hope for the best?
Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.