Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Lake Sommerville for 4th anyone? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/27884-lake-sommerville-4th-anyone.html)

OutlawBayB 07-02-2002 03:17 PM

Lake Sommerville for 4th anyone?

just tossing around some ideas here. Last minute changes. Never been, what to expect.

Anyone else going?

dloftis 07-02-2002 04:23 PM

I'll be there... as I mentioned on the phone.

My fiance and I will be out tomorrow through saturday or sunday in our Baja Hammer.

The lake is nice. Always calm.

The ramps aren't the best, but they're useable. They'll be busy on the 4th.

Parts of the lake are shallow, but there's not too much crap to run into as long as you stay clear of shore and set your depthfinder alarm. It's deepest near the dam (a couple weeks ago it was ~30 feet) and gets shallower as your head toward the other end.

Lots of jet skis, but they mostly stay in the coves. Don't follow them, because they can go a lot of places you can't. There are plenty of fishing boats and bowriders... if they don't hit things, you're probably OK. If you want to open it up, just run from the dam up the center of the lake. You can't run for TOO long, but there's room to get going pretty quick.

You won't see a lot of V-hull HP boats out there, but I've seen a few.... but I've never seen it as crowded as Conroe gets.

Let me know if you go up... you've got my number.

Turbojack 07-02-2002 05:28 PM

dloftis
You got something against us bowriders??? :cool: :D Am leaving Wed. PM, coming back to work Friday & going back after work Friday. Will be at Big Creek (north side of lake that has marina) Should not be able to miss mine & buddy's boat. When we are at camp we leave boat anchored out from shore. Except for at night, we pull & put on trailer.

As far as airing it out. This might not be weekend for it but have run High speed many of time. Since Sommerville is a Corps lake it is good close place to camp. (Tent, trailer, 5th wheel or Motor Home)

Just checked Sommerville is only 1/4' under normal level, Canyon is 9' over, & Travis has come up 4' from last saturday at 671'

Look me up if you come up. Hope to have marganita machine going.

dloftis 07-02-2002 09:05 PM

Turbojack, have nothing against bowriders... almost bought one myself.

What kind of boat? I'll be be out at Birch Creek State Park, but I'll be all over the lake.

Turbojack 07-03-2002 07:41 AM

From Birch go towards dam, turn left past marina. We are along that shore.

I remember when I took wife many years ago to boat drag races & I told her about blown Hydros. As we watched she keep anking me is that one. My answer to her was "When one goes by you will not have to ask". So with that said I will let you guess to see if you can find ous & I will do the same with you. We (mine & another boat like mine) cruise the shoreline when we make the rounds I usally do not go way over close to Birch creek because I know there are some shallow parts but not exactly sure where. Lot of time we tie together by Overlook or Pecan Lake.

See you there.
jack