Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Advertising on OSO STUPID POP UPS!!! (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/279009-advertising-oso-stupid-pop-ups.html)

low_psi 06-19-2012 10:28 PM

Advertising on OSO STUPID POP UPS!!!

I know this has been discussed previously and it seemd to go away. But today I got ads on OSO that covered 75% of the screen for "Blue Bunny Ice Cream" "Eye Drops" , and " a Crock Pot". Seriously WTF guys? This is really stupid. I don't mind the irrelivant ads at the top, but to have to deal with them covering up 75% of my screen. NOT COOL!!! Am I on a high performance website or wal-mart's website?

prostock85 06-19-2012 10:29 PM

Originally Posted by low_psi (Post 3713215)
I know this has been discussed previously and it seemd to go away. But today I got ads on OSO that covered 75% of the screen for "Blue Bunny Ice Cream" "Eye Drops" , and " a Crock Pot". Seriously WTF guys? This is really stupid. I don't mind the irrelivant ads at the top, but to have to deal with them covering up 75% of my screen. NOT COOL!!! Am I on a high performance website or wal-mart's website?

Don't show up on iPhone

low_psi 06-20-2012 12:33 AM

Originally Posted by prostock85 (Post 3713216)
Don't show up on iPhone

Doesn't show up on iPhones or iPads but does on windows based browsers. I have one of each....

PBR1 06-20-2012 01:07 AM

Originally Posted by low_psi (Post 3713277)
Doesn't show up on iPhones or iPads but does on windows based browsers. I have one of each....

It's not so bad.. I think if you pay for a membership it decreases the amount of ads.

Griff 06-20-2012 02:49 AM

I do not get any pop up ads.

Audiofn 06-20-2012 05:10 AM

Neither do I. Maybe you have a virus/spyware on your PC? Try clearing all your cookies out.

c_deezy 06-20-2012 05:50 AM

I see a lot more 'Sponsored Links', but no pop-ups.

I logged out and checked as a 'guest' and even then only a few more 'Sponsored Links' than normal. Still no pop-ups.

low_psi 06-20-2012 06:00 AM

The pop ups are enlarged banner ads that are at the top. What I don't get is why a crock pot, eye drops, and ice cream..... When you click on close they go back to the normal banner size at the top of the page. I do not have a virus or spyware.

offshoredrillin 06-20-2012 06:14 AM

Originally Posted by low_psi (Post 3713319)
The pop ups are enlarged banner ads that are at the top. What I don't get is why a crock pot, eye drops, and ice cream..... When you click on close they go back to the normal banner size at the top of the page. I do not have a virus or spyware.

it depends on where you curser is when you switch pages, if your curser is in the middle or up top and you switch pages and it centers there it expands it. I would suggest using mozilla and installing adblocker, its all free and knocks them out 100%

thirdchildhood 06-20-2012 06:56 AM

Just click them off right away. That's how these sites make money. What I don't get is that it's been proven that most Facebook users find ads to be nothing but annoying. So why should it be any different of forums like this one? The ads are just an annoyance and I'm not going to buy something because an ad pops up.:angry-smiley-038: