Notices

Raft Up Rules

Old 07-02-2002, 05:00 PM
JON242

Default Raft Up Rules

What's the proper etiquette when rafting up? If people are rafted up in a cove, do you have to know someone in the end boat or any boat to join? What if you're in the middle of a raft up and you gotta leave? Just moved the boat to a place where people do this alot and I don't want to embarrass myself more than I already do.

Old 07-02-2002, 05:05 PM
MIdnightRider

Just say, " Hey, can I tie up?", its that easy. And to leave you just slide out and the boats on either side pull together. Midnight

Old 07-02-2002, 05:11 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would have the boat already rigged with lines and fenders BEFORE asking to raft up. I can't stand it someone wants to raft and they start coming at my boat with no fenders. Other than that it is a great way to meet new friends on the water. We had about thirteen tied together on Sun. and what a blast it was.
Robert
Old 07-02-2002, 05:24 PM
MIdnightRider

I like it when someone comes to tie up to your boat with a water winnie and two life vests as fenders. I dont think so buddy! We will probably have over 200 boats in Hanky on thursday in Grand Haven. It will be a blow out. I post some pics next week. Midnight

Old 07-02-2002, 05:32 PM
Registered

Kind of depends. At LOTO, we have a few places to raft up, the most famous being party cove. In party cove, it is generally acceptable to raft up in any of the large lines. There are small groups of boats away from the main area that are obviously together and probably want to hang by themselves.

Other coves are more family oriented. You can identify these coves by small groups of boats with lots of kids. They typically want to hang by themselves.

----

While on the subject, (not directed at you) I have a few pet peeves to vent about that drive me crazy:

1) Fenders. If you don't have any or the ones you have are so small they couldn't hold a wave runner off, don't ask to tie up next to my custom paint job!

2) Ropes. Yes, you would be amazed at the number of people who have no ropes to tie up with.

3) Anchors. You need one. Don't expect me to hold you in place, my anchor is rated for my boat's size & weight only.

4) Common Courtesy. Don't bring the kids and tie up in the "party" place. It never ceases to amaze me the number of people who bring young kids to a place that is likely to have naked drunk people! By the same token, don't expect to tie up in the 'family' groups if you're bringing the party. Just common courtesy.

5) Boat size. It is nearly impossible to raft off some boats either due to length, freeboard size, shape, whatever. I don't want to have to spend a half hour helping tie up so my paint doesn't get scratched.

Thanks.... needed to vent. Anybody else?
Old 07-02-2002, 05:41 PM
Registered

Yeah, it seems people actually take the fender size seriously that is printed in some catalogs. A smaller boat will bounce more than a larger one and therefore needs bigger fenders. I usually use 10" fenders on everthing. Mach you have made some good points,only if we could get everone to pay attension(NOT directed to anyone here, only inconsiderate boaters that don't read this).
Robert
Old 07-02-2002, 05:44 PM
283CHECK

6)Pay attention to your boat, don't tie up and wonder down the line make sure your anchor is set and have someone in your crew keep an eye on it at all times. Don't expect you new neighbor to care for it.

7)TAKE YOUR SHOES OFF, I didn't just redo my interior to have someone wonder around with their 6" pumps on.

8)If you smoke, smoke on your boat and keep the ashes in a can!

9) If you have non-boaters with you let them know some of the guide lines of boating piror to tie up.

Also not directing to anyone here, just some pet pives and past encounters.

Last edited by 283CHECK; 07-02-2002 at 05:46 PM.

Old 07-02-2002, 05:47 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Yup........Little "Mermaid" fenders & cut up pieces of ski line......
Tie up to me? IT AINT GONNA HAPPEN!!!!!!
Old 07-02-2002, 05:47 PM
MIdnightRider

Mach- I may print that and hand it out. But you need to add a couple.

If you are soaking wet, please don't walk on anything but my swim platform(not across my bow, not on my sundeck, not in the cockpit).

If your gonna puke, get off my boat! (Kris )

I'm hear to party too, I'm not spending my whole day tieing people up and letting them out!

A water gun sprayed in my boat is not funny!

Water balloons hurled across the cove like missles are not funny!

Naked bodies(women) are pefectly acceptable, loosen up everone does it!

If you didn't bring anything to drink, I'm sorry (trading is OK).

Midnight

Old 07-02-2002, 05:52 PM
MIdnightRider

Greatest three points I missed, good call:

My boat has right on the rail "NO SHOES" and people still do it.

Do Not F@#ckin' smoke on or around my boat!

And educate your no-boater friends!

Thanks, I missed those, and they are important.

Midnight

Quick Reply: Raft Up Rules

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.