Boat just shut down, help please >

Boat just shut down, help please

Notices

Boat just shut down, help please

Old 07-01-2002, 09:35 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Boat just shut down, help please

27 mach1 with 502, I had problems with the batteries not staying charged before check altenator and wire was broke, fixed it, now sunday I went to leave the dock everything was working I have a good size spot light turned it on before I started the boat it worked fine, left the dock and went to dock for the night and turned on my spot light with boat running and blam shut down everthing except bow lights and trim would work, not dash no start, nothing switched to number two battery and it started for a hot minute and shut down also check fuses, breakers and all that I could, I had tested load tested the batteries and they were fair to good, I know I need new ones, I feel that the voltage regulator was working to hard and it burnt the altenator up because the gauge would go up to about to 13 to 14 amps while the boat was running and then level out to 12 but it would take a while, well any ideas please would help, thank you so much Rico
Old 07-02-2002, 10:16 AM
Registered

Unhappy helllllooooooooooooo

need some help before the weekend, I know someone knows what is wrong, I had to paddle along way to shore with mamma yelling the whole time, no one was around just like now, Is anybody there. Ok guess I will venture into it and see what it is.
Old 07-02-2002, 10:29 AM
Registered

just a quick guess i would say the batteries probably shorted out inside. you are going to need new ones anyway so why not start there. if they wouldnt take a charge the alternator was already working double time and then the others items just added to the load. keep us posted and bring this to the top this evening and somebody will help out.

Rob
Old 07-02-2002, 10:37 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Rico -

I agree with Rob - start with the batteries. I assume that you have a 502 EFI/MPI - if so, then without da juice, the computer won't work, and will shut down the fuel delivery, etc. If you don't want to spend a lot of money, just go to Sam's/Costco and buy your batteries. I change mine every year, whether they need it or not.... the few $$ that it costs to be proactive is $$ well spent.

You may need to check the re-set button on the control box once you replace the batts....... its the large RED button - works just like a GFI circuit.....

Good luck.

- Bryan
Old 07-02-2002, 10:44 AM
Registered

Default cool

thanks, but do you think it burnt up the altenator, well I guess i will know when i put new batteries in, I never knew the inside of a battery could short out, thanks again it was a very rough nite. She kept saying sell the f$#%# boat, whew she changed her mind though. i will keep you posted.
Old 07-02-2002, 10:50 AM
Registered

i doubt the alternatot went up but after installing batteries and get it running you will know. the fact that you say how rough it was out therewhen this happened just reassures me that the batteries are where i would start.

Rob
Old 07-02-2002, 11:09 AM
Registered

ok Rob I will go from there, thks
Old 07-03-2002, 02:22 PM
DanL

Rick, I'll have a spare alt w/me at the river tonight. Not sure what your problem is. Is it possible that a ground cable was left off one of the batteries and you were switched to that one? Call my cell if you want it. 201-522-3512

Old 07-03-2002, 02:46 PM
Charter Member#1545
Charter Member

It is possible for batteries to short internally, yes, but two at once??? It is possible, but if the boat has a fuseable link you may want to check that also. A voltage surge can pop those and create a headache for the person diagnosing it. Just a thought.
Old 07-03-2002, 03:49 PM
Registered

Talking cool

thank you for all the help, I found the problem it was the wiring harness it was loose, wow glad it wasn't the altenator but, I will be getting two new batteries anyway, Dan I left a message on your phone I should not need alt. But will buy you a drink when I see you thnks again all Rick

Quick Reply: Boat just shut down, help please

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.