Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
What to do, Blower falure after rebuild. >

What to do, Blower falure after rebuild.

Notices

What to do, Blower falure after rebuild.

Old 06-28-2012, 08:14 AM
B38
Registered

Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts

DMPE did my B&M 174 blowers , must have 180 hours on them now. I did have one first day out started making a weird noise, shut down and removed belt, teflon strips where touching, DMPE requested both Blowers removed and sent for a ride back to DMPE and they fixed the problem and returned. timeing issue!. Like i stated before, 180 hours on them now with no issues. They stand behind there work.
B38
Old 06-28-2012, 08:25 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

DMPE is about 30 mins from me. They are more than helpful and pricing is half of what the blower shop wanted plus I don't have to worry about shipping damage.
Old 06-28-2012, 08:36 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by teamsynergy
Bryan Dietz is the guy you need to talk to...
+100

call Bryan 269-428-5070
Old 06-28-2012, 10:09 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just got off the phone with Bryan. He spent some time with me explaining what he will do do for the inspection. He also told me that they have been working on a replacement blower for the 256 that will use the same manifold and setup. he did not give me a time frame but after he gets my cratered blower I'll start pushing to be a guenui pig.
Old 06-28-2012, 06:27 PM
Registered

It's a shame to hear what happened to a brand new blower rebuild on such a low hour motor. But, it does sound like he's willing to work with you, that's awesome.
I'm curious did you pull the heads and check the cylinder walls?
I couldn't tell by the pic's.
I know another member posted a blower pro said it usually doesn't cause any cylinder wall damage, even so it's well worth popping them off for a visual inside the bores and a peek at the valves and it's angle cuts in the head.
I hope they work it out with you promptly.

See ya,
Kelly

Disregard my question about pulling the heads, after reading the whole thread I replied and then went back and looked at the pic's and reread your original post. Just a case of brain fade after getting on the computer after working for 10 hours outdoors in the SE Texas hotass summer sun.

Later,
Kelly

Last edited by huskyrider; 06-28-2012 at 06:35 PM. Reason: I'm dumb sometimes !!!
Old 06-28-2012, 09:34 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by troper
Sent my 256 Weiand blowers off my 575’s to be rebuilt. After reading how weak these rear brgs are I wanted to be pro active. The engines had 122hours on them. I had them Hard Anodize the Rotors, Hard Coat Interior Case Bore, Add Teflon Stripping, replace all brgs.. When I received them back one of the blowers were put together backwards. They sent me a fedex label and had it fixed and returned in 3 days. Very happy with the performance of the engines after the blower rebuild. Picked up almost 2 pounds of boast and 5 mph. Long story short one of the blowers seized up at the Outlaw challenge poker Run. Boat run great on Friday with no problems. Sat after the first stop took off and cruising around 4000rpm’s when I felt a vibration and I throttle back and the port motor died. Pulled blower belt and blower was seized. The rebuilder says that it must have backfired or had other engine failure for it to happen. I video the tear down and there were no missing bolts or nuts from the injectors or housing. I pulled the heads to make sure there was no other damage and everything looks great. There was a chunk of the rotor in #3 but no damage. I think a bearing went south in the blower and caused the rotors to touch. This also was the blower that was put together backwards and sent back for correction. After talking to him and sending photos and videos of the teardown ,It seems like he is not going to stand behind his rebuilds as he said that they do not make rotors any more for the 256 and I will have to buy a new blower. I’m at a loss on how to move forward. If I sent it back he can’t fix it. Need advise please.
Call Eddie at Young Performance. 615-216-7449
Old 06-29-2012, 12:44 PM
Registered

There is an ad in the classifieds that looks like a 256 Blower.

http://www.offshoreonly.com/classifi...o46331-en.html

I have contacted the owner and he sent me the following info:

1 PCS.
S/C Mercury BB
R Fits Steel SA

Mercury
Serial #
25912A
Painted

Is this an early model for the 575?
Old 06-29-2012, 07:09 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by troper
There is an ad in the classifieds that looks like a 256 Blower.

http://www.offshoreonly.com/classifi...o46331-en.html

I have contacted the owner and he sent me the following info:

1 PCS.
S/C Mercury BB
R Fits Steel SA

Mercury
Serial #
25912A
Painted

Is this an early model for the 575?
If the picture is the actual blower that is for sale that is one of the earlier model that have front and rear oil bath. Those are the ones I have on my 575's. They are not the ones that had the rear bearing that was only grease. I was looking at that one this morning and if it is in good condition and it comes with the snout and all I think that is a good deal........ If it is trashed maybe not such a good deal.
Old 06-29-2012, 07:11 PM
Registered

Ask if they would be willing to ship it to DMPE on your dime......if it's in good shape buy it, if not ship it back......... Just an idea........ Good luck......
Old 08-31-2012, 12:53 PM
Registered

Wanted to update everyone on the outcome of this. I sent the damaged blower to DMPE and Bryan took it apart for inspection. Found that the washer that holds the gears to the rotors had cracked and split letting the bolt back off and causing all the damage. He said that these washers need to be replaced every time the bolt is taken out as they crack when retorqued. He had me take apart the other blower and check to see if the washer had been replaced. Well sure enough it had not and you can even see it starting to crack. Well long story short the company (SUPERCHARGERS USA) would not stand behind their work. I did a charge back on the Credit Card but he is fighting it to the bitter end. I ended up spending a lot more money because of Superchargers USA not doing a complete rebuild and taking short cuts. I ended replacing both superchargers with Dyers Superchargers.
http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/g...ci-owners.html
Attached Thumbnails What to do, Blower falure after rebuild.-stb-blower-2.jpg