Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
What to do, Blower falure after rebuild. >

What to do, Blower falure after rebuild.

Notices

What to do, Blower falure after rebuild.

Old 06-26-2012, 06:47 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What to do, Blower falure after rebuild.

Sent my 256 Weiand blowers off my 575’s to be rebuilt. After reading how weak these rear brgs are I wanted to be pro active. The engines had 122hours on them. I had them Hard Anodize the Rotors, Hard Coat Interior Case Bore, Add Teflon Stripping, replace all brgs.. When I received them back one of the blowers were put together backwards. They sent me a fedex label and had it fixed and returned in 3 days. Very happy with the performance of the engines after the blower rebuild. Picked up almost 2 pounds of boast and 5 mph. Long story short one of the blowers seized up at the Outlaw challenge poker Run. Boat run great on Friday with no problems. Sat after the first stop took off and cruising around 4000rpm’s when I felt a vibration and I throttle back and the port motor died. Pulled blower belt and blower was seized. The rebuilder says that it must have backfired or had other engine failure for it to happen. I video the tear down and there were no missing bolts or nuts from the injectors or housing. I pulled the heads to make sure there was no other damage and everything looks great. There was a chunk of the rotor in #3 but no damage. I think a bearing went south in the blower and caused the rotors to touch. This also was the blower that was put together backwards and sent back for correction. After talking to him and sending photos and videos of the teardown ,It seems like he is not going to stand behind his rebuilds as he said that they do not make rotors any more for the 256 and I will have to buy a new blower. I’m at a loss on how to move forward. If I sent it back he can’t fix it. Need advise please.
Attached Thumbnails What to do, Blower falure after rebuild.-blower-1.jpg   What to do, Blower falure after rebuild.-2_resize.jpg   What to do, Blower falure after rebuild.-3_resize.jpg  

What to do, Blower falure after rebuild.-intake-photos5_resize.jpg   What to do, Blower falure after rebuild.-intake-photos4_resize.jpg  
Old 06-26-2012, 06:52 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That sucks. Who did the work ?
Old 06-26-2012, 08:30 PM
Registered

Wondering the same thing. Had the blower shop do mine and they went through everything. Got back two ziplock bags of the old parts. Also did they ship them with oil. Which style 256 are they? The early with the oil bearings in rear or the late with the sealed rear.
Old 06-26-2012, 09:27 PM
Registered

Default fixx

Looks to me that the guy owes you a blower and thats how i would address it to him,if you paid by credit card i would have your visa stop the charge or reverse it..its obvious that one of the bearings went south,,if it was a sealed bearing i always pop the seal out and make sure their packed real good with high temp syn grease..he may have used bearings that were made in china...kinda makes you wonder about the other blower..

summit still list's the bodys and theirs a guy on ebay that has 12'' rotors..

http://www.summitracing.com/search/B...t-Main-Bodies/

Last edited by FIXX; 06-27-2012 at 12:52 AM.
Old 06-26-2012, 11:13 PM
Registered

Pm who rebuilt these please mine will be going out soon
Old 06-26-2012, 11:18 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts

If the rotors touched i would suspect the forward gears and how they were timed.
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )
Old 06-27-2012, 12:00 AM
Registered

Received 1,206 Likes on 579 Posts

How much time on the blower after the rebuild? Sounds like a day and a half.

Originally Posted by Pokher Ace
Pm who rebuilt these please mine will be going out soon
And what he said too, if you don't mind.
Old 06-27-2012, 12:45 AM
Registered

I only use DMPE... They have always taken care of me well for the boat and other toys...

I am even a poster child lol... good luck!

http://www.dmpeinc.com/superchargers/

Scroll down the page a bit...
Old 06-27-2012, 12:47 AM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Who rebuilt them so nobody else goes through the same mishap. I can't believe they sent you one of the blowers put together backwards, that says everything. Hopefully everything works out for you but please inform us as to who did the work so nobody else has to go through the same thing.
Old 06-27-2012, 06:10 AM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

The rebuilder is correct that a backfire can cause the rotors to go out of time. I believe that is what happened to one of my 256s. I know DMPE was working on producing rotors. It is not that difficult of and upgrade to a 671 or an 871. After the upgrade you could pull some good money out of your good blower, part out the bad one (one rotor may be salvageable) and sell the intakes to the saltwater guys.

Looking at that chunk of aluminum...makes me wonder what all went through my blower. I did have aluminum speckled spark plugs. Dustin at whipple said this was common and it was uncommon for the aluminum to cause damage in the cylinder.

You could also use the old 256 case for a kick azz mail box!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.