Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
St. Clair lake and st. Clair river what to see >

St. Clair lake and st. Clair river what to see

Notices

St. Clair lake and st. Clair river what to see

Old 06-29-2012, 06:01 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you go through West side of Belle Isle, it is no wake between the Island and Detroit shoreline, also stay to the port side shoreline cause it is shallow(its called scott middle grounds) Then pull into sinbads or roostertail inn for a drink. I also do recommend Browns on the middle channel. Even though it is out of the way, you NEED a Madison burger. They are the best. Also I would call MacRay Harbor. Beautiful place to stay and sometimes they have furnished condos available to rent. Wed. They will have a beautiful fireworks show. Harrison twp also has free shuttles to take you were ever you want to go in there city. I would also call the concord inn hotel on Gratiot st. They may have a shuttle to pick you up from the marina. I know they dropped my off at my marina once but I was hammered so details were a little fuzzy.
Old 06-29-2012, 06:29 AM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

288 Kid...must have been Brokeback Fountain
Old 06-29-2012, 07:11 AM
Registered

Received 607 Likes on 275 Posts

We've been running the St. Clair River up to Lake Huron a lot this year. There are several historic lights. There is a restored lightstation near Algonac. A relocated historic range light at Marine City & the Huron lightship is near there too. Then you will get to Port Huron and you can run up the Black River a ways if you like. You can eat and gas up there. Then continuing up the St. Clair the Fort Gratiot Lighthouse is on the American side and is Michigan's oldest light. Go under the bridge and out a ways and there is a modern light marking the entrance to the shipping channel. Then if you back track a bit and on the American side of Lake Huron is a really nice public beach where there will be a lot of boats anchored on the sandbar and lots of people on the beach. There is a small convenience store in easy walking distance that sells booze too. Lake St. Clair also has lots to see & do and I also recommend Brown's Bar. Be VERY careful entering and leaving the middle channel as it curves just north of Sand Island and you do not want to discover sand island! Study your charts, pay attention to your GPS and watch for the navigation aids. Have fun. These waters are some of the best boating anywhere. (have a can of insect repellent on board just in case the black flies are out)
Old 06-29-2012, 07:32 AM
Registered

this should also help you.

http://www.derankinservicesolutions....l-detroit.html

You can click and unclick to see dangers, marina, restaurants off to the left hand side

Last edited by only1adrian; 06-29-2012 at 07:33 AM. Reason: more info
Old 06-29-2012, 08:17 AM
Registered

The website LSCN.net has lots of info on Lake St. Clair and also an excellent waypoint map of the lake that will help you mark all the hazards and channels, Very helpful. My favorite place are Mac Rays, Algonac Harbour Club, and The St. Clair Marina in the town of St. Clair. I would take the South (shipping channel) when heading north. Then the North channel when coming back south. The North channel and Middle channel are tricky to find without GPS.
Old 06-29-2012, 08:37 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by JRider
288 Kid...must have been Brokeback Fountain
I think fabio took a likin' to you boy'.......
Old 06-29-2012, 11:21 AM
Registered

You guys rock! Lots of info. To look into? Will let you know in a week what we did and where we went!
Old 06-29-2012, 11:43 AM
Registered

Hope you have a great week. Weather is looking good for ya