Notices

Yacht goes down off NY

Old 07-06-2012, 12:31 PM
JC Performance Engines
Gold Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by 96scarab
Agreed..But shouldn't the parents shoulder some responsibility by putting the kids in harms way in the first place?
True, but many a passenger may not know the limitations of a vessel and rules of the waterways., where the captain should.
Old 07-06-2012, 12:58 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

lifesavers would not have made a difference by the way...
"quote"
Authorities said the children who died got trapped in the cabin.
__________________________________________________ ____
Only thing that would have helped is not having the boat loaded with twice its rated weight..
Old 07-06-2012, 01:46 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow...It makes me wonder what people are thinking...if they think at all. What a tragedy for the families. I have noticed alot of newer large boat owners with what I call "Titanic mindset". Meaning they think they have a large boat that is unsinkable and will go wherever they want it too, and pilot it accordingly....anyway they want. The non-boaters aboard that nite had no idea of the dangers. It's a crying shame.
Old 07-06-2012, 03:17 PM
Registered

I just wonder ? You invite a bunch of people out on the boat. They bring friends, Kids an You make a bad mistake ? Not saying no to the people that showed up. I'm not defending anyone. Just maybe didn't say no when He should have. You can't control 27 people on a boat. Sorry for the Kids an Family. R.I.P Artie
Old 07-06-2012, 03:33 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I bet if the owner/operater was a respected member of OSO this thread would have a completly different tone......
Actually no....

I would say WTF were you thinking...

Somebody has to live with what happened and that may almost be as bad as losing a family member. I know I would not be sleeping at night.

My heart still goes out to all who lost family.

Wannabe
Old 07-06-2012, 03:33 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am pretty specific when I invite people on the boat about if they can or cant bring a freind.
If they still bring extra people or kids without telling me I tell them sorry you cant go.
I would rather be known as an azzhole than the guy on the 5 o'clock news.
Old 07-06-2012, 03:38 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by HTRDLNCN
I am pretty specific when I invite people on the boat about if they can or cant bring a freind.
If they still bring extra people or kids without telling me I tell them sorry you cant go.
I would rather be known as an azzhole than the guy on the 5 o'clock news.
I do agree with You. This is so sad. I allso can't help but wander if they though this was a prank call at first after the last one. Sad what people do. Be safe an enjoy Your weekend My friends. Artie
Old 07-06-2012, 05:10 PM
Registered

The LI Sound is open waters. A large wake could have come from 1/2 a mile away or further... A wake will seemingly come out of no where.
Yes; those tankers do make large wakes. However; this was in Oyster Bay Cove I believe.
Old 07-06-2012, 06:10 PM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

Agreed..But shouldn't the parents shoulder some responsibility by putting the kids in harms way in the first place?
you would think so,but if the parents are non boaters they might not have known it was a dangerous situation,the captian is responsible for the safety of those onboard.if the captian was not the owner,the owner will also bear responsability if he granted permission for someone else to operate the boat.its kinda like rideing in your buddy,s car,you expect him to drive in a safe manner.i feel very bad for the family,s of the victoms.
Old 07-06-2012, 06:55 PM
JC Performance Engines
Gold Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Lighthouse
Yes; those tankers do make large wakes. However; this was in Oyster Bay Cove I believe.
They are saying the boat is in 60ft of water.
Is there a depth like that in the cove?

I'm surprised some details are not known(or at least in the news), considering the local coverage it's getting.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.