Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Best Single Engine 26-29Ft. Performance Boat? >

Best Single Engine 26-29Ft. Performance Boat?

Notices

Best Single Engine 26-29Ft. Performance Boat?

Old 07-05-2002, 05:34 PM
Steve_H

Question Best Single Engine 26-29Ft. Performance Boat?

Im trying to decide what will be my next boat after selling my current boat and have narrowed it down to a single engine 26-29 v bottom performance boat.

Below is what is most important to me anyways.

#1-resale vaue
#2-reliabilty
#3-speed
#4-comfort in ruff water (loto)
#5-cabin room

so far im leaning towards a fountain or eliminator

all opinions appreciated.

since my boat is now at a brokerage lot this is what ive been reduced to. dreaming of my next ride

Old 07-05-2002, 05:38 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In that order, I would say:
Velocity 280 or new VR1
or a
Fountain Fever
Old 07-05-2002, 08:03 PM
RLW
~~~~
Charter Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

27' Activator, 27' Progression, or 27' Kryptonite.
Sorry, I'm from New York as are all of these boats.
Old 07-05-2002, 08:13 PM
Steve_H

tally so far

fountain-3
velocity-1
eliminator-1
sonic-1
active thunder-1
pantera-1
activator-1
progresion-1
kryptonite-1

i also like the looks of the sunsation but dont know much about them?

Old 07-05-2002, 08:56 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Fountain

Another vote for Fountain. I own a 27 and was at first worried about its rough water ability. I recently took the boat from just south of Baton Rouge, LA to Biloxi MS. On the way there the water was pretty snotty and we caught air for several miles. The boat flew nice and level and landed great. The boat felt very secure and did not even rattle except for one windshield support. After enjoying and hour or so of airtime I got tired of flying and dropped the K-planes and she rode great. The last 30 or so miles were pretty rough and a quartering sea and she would bang down hard every now and then. Maybe not the most comfortable ride but the boat is solid enough to handle it. A 29 would ride even better. What you really need is the 35. A friend came with us on his 35 and while we were catching air he had two girls laying on the engine cover catching a tan.

Before we bought the 27 I looked at several other boats. The problem is that once we saw the Fountain no other boat could compare in the cabin or cockpit. While the cabins are smaller the Fountain is a step up in fit and finish. I brought my wife to look at a Donzi after the Fountain and while she was looking at the cabin she started laughing.

Good points about the Fountain.

1) Fast, they will be amoung the fastest for given hull size and power. Step hulls and notched transoms are standard.

2) Fit and Finish. It was the best amoung all the boats in our price range. From the power bolsters in the cockpit to the leather cabins, they are beautiful.

3) Solid. Fountain bonds the hull and deck together with fiberglass on all boats. Everything on the boat is secure and overbuilt to a degree.

4) Equipped. So much is standard on a Fountain. Full hydraulic twin external steering (latham). Real K-Planes with mechanical indicators for tabs and drive. Gaffrig gauges with even oil temp and water pressure standard.

5) Style. They have a style all their own. You either love them or hate them. Once you own one you cant think of owning anything else.

6) Resale. They hold their value well.

Bad points about the Fountain

1) Size. With the beak and the swim platform they are actually smaller boats for the same given length of other boats without a platform.

2) Rough water handling. A boat with a straight 24 deg dead rise will ride better in the rough but is slower.

3) Cost. They command a higher price but resale well.

Thats the way I look at it. So once again I have sacrificed space and comfort for good looks and speed and I couldnt be happier. I really wanted a 29 but in the condition of boats we were looking at the 29 was 15-20K more.

Never been to LOTO but from what I hear any 27-29 single will be challenged.

Ron
Old 07-05-2002, 09:16 PM
ROUGHSTUFF

Take a look at a Sunsation. I owned a 28 a ran it on Lake Michigan and the boat ran really well in some pretty rough conditions. It has alot of room for a 28 and I really like the styling and the lines. Joe and Wayne were always good to deal with and treated me right.

Old 07-05-2002, 09:42 PM
Registered

If your #1 criteria is resale value, how could you not consider a formula? I dont know too many boats that hold their value better. Wasnt somebody on here selling a 28 cig?
Old 07-05-2002, 09:50 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I also think you need to look at local dealers. A dealer makes a huge difference, especially when a problem arises.

I will say I got along OK with my 27 Fountain over memorial day at LOTO, During the peak busy times I would say it was adequate. Couldn't run much over 35 a feel safe with people on the boat, that lake is like a washing machine. Waves were good size and just coming from every direction.

I ordered a new 28 Pantera, it doesn't have the pad or the step and it's a bit heavier than the fountain. Neither one have a lot of freeboard, I did have foot wells added to my new boat.

Don't get me wrong I think the beaker did OK and i don't think on the holiday weekends your going to be real happy with anything less than a 38TG but for the remainder of the time I think it's a good boat. The Pantera has more head room in the cabin than the 27-33 fountains. Griff can give you his impression of how his Pantera did on the same weekend there.

The riggin on the 2 boats is about the same in quality, Fountain does a good job with ammenities, more leather, power bolsters things like that. Pantera is a little more basic but is regarded as a good rough water boat for it's size and uses quality materials, deck is glassed to the hull, k-planes and so on.

You need to take some rides, there are enough local dealers at LOTO you should be able to do some meaningful comparison.
Old 07-05-2002, 09:53 PM
Registered

Cool

DCB 28' Extreme
Old 07-05-2002, 09:57 PM
Registered

Received 317 Likes on 174 Posts

Velocity 280... fast, high freeboard and the cabin is bigger then most and the factory people are easy to get a hold of and great to talk to.

Quick Reply: Best Single Engine 26-29Ft. Performance Boat?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.