New York senator seeks capacity regulations on boats >

New York senator seeks capacity regulations on boats

Notices

New York senator seeks capacity regulations on boats

Old 07-16-2012, 10:04 AM
Registered

Received 1,825 Likes on 714 Posts
Default New York senator seeks capacity regulations on boats

Who didn't see this coming??? 27 people on a 34' boat? Really?
Saw one of the grieving families on the morning news last week saying they weren't taking legal action. Of course it was their attorney (in attendance) saying that.
Bet the attorneys were all bummed when they realized the boat mfg was no longer in business.
Can't imagine losing a child but who climbs on a boat w/the many people on it?? I wouldn't do it at dock let alone at sea!
You really think a capacity plate will stop this?
I came very close to buying a boat identical to the one that went down and know them very well. They're a great boat but being a sedan (enclosed main/aft deck level) they have a fairly small aft deck. So based on that, where do you put 24 adults and 3 kids?? Watching fire works you'd sure assume at some point most are on the aft deck at the same time which could/probably be catastrophic.

In the wake of a recent tragedy, the waters of enforcement for boaters who overcrowd their vessels are still murky.

After the high-profile case of three children who died when a 34-foot Silverton cruiser carrying 27 people capsized July 4 in Oyster Bay, another apparent overcrowding situation occurred, according to a Riverhead (N.Y.) Patch article.

A few days after the tragedy, five people packed a paddleboat meant for two on Wading River in Suffolk County, N.Y., and a wave overturned the boat. Riverhead police and other responders brought all who were thrown into Long Island Sound screaming for help — including a 7-year-old boy — to safety.

Despite wide public attention, officials say state laws in New York don't address the problem of overcrowding on recreational boats.

U.S. Sen. Charles Schumer is calling on the Coast Guard to set capacity limits for large recreational boats, according to a Newsday article.

Schumer, D-N.Y., also wants the Coast Guard to require that capacity and weight limits be posted on boats longer than 20 feet, according to the publication. The Coast Guard currently has capacity limits for boats less than 20 feet.

The parents of Victoria Gaines — the 7-year-old who was killed along with the Kandi Won owner's daughter, Harlie Treanor, 11, and Harlie's cousin David Aureliano, 12, in the July 4 accident — joined Schumer's call for the regulation. The rule also would require that, when posted, capacity limits appear visible to crewmembers and passengers.

The tragedy "never should have happened," Paul Gaines said at a press conference on Sunday, his voice cracking as his wife held a framed photo of their daughter.

Sally Drake, a spokeswoman for the New York State Office of Parks, Recreation, and Historic Preservation, told Riverhead Patch that all regulations about capacity on boats are federally determined.

No federal regulations exist regarding capacity on recreational boats sized similarly to the boats involved in the recent Long Island accidents, Drake told Riverhead Patch.

The Coast Guard can enforce safety equipment standards and cite boat owners who do not adhere to regulations.

Last edited by Twin O/B Sonic; 07-16-2012 at 10:30 AM.
Old 07-16-2012, 10:41 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 179 Likes on 66 Posts

Fo those of you that don't know him, our very own Senetor Chuck Schumer is the absolute worst kind of opportunistic politician. If anything bad happens, you can bet Chuck will introduce legislation or write a letter to somebody to prevent it from every happening again. Truth be told, he's done very little to help anybody (but himself) and added tons of cost and useless regulation to our state. As unfortunate as both incidents were, nothing Chuck does will make the situation appreciably better.
Old 07-16-2012, 10:47 AM
Registered

Received 1,825 Likes on 714 Posts
Default Yep.

Originally Posted by Too Stroked
Fo those of you that don't know him, our very own Senetor Chuck Schumer is the absolute worst kind of opportunistic politician. If anything bad happens, you can bet Chuck will introduce legislation or write a letter to somebody to prevent it from every happening again. Truth be told, he's done very little to help anybody (but himself) and added tons of cost and useless regulation to our state. As unfortunate as both incidents were, nothing Chuck does will make the situation appreciably better.
A professional politician at it's worst.
Old 07-16-2012, 10:51 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

In related news, Senator Chuck Schumer (D-NY) today introduced legislation that would outlaw the use of the phrase “Hey ya’ll, watch this.” At a press conference today, Senator Schumer provided numerous important looking charts and graphs that proved that 98.2 % of the time after this phrase is used, somebody gets hurt. “By outlawing the use of this phrase, residents of New York State will no longer have to bear the costs of deaths and injuries caused by red necks attempting to jump motor homes with riding lawn mowers, piling 7 people on a paddleboat designed for 2 and other such stupidity.”
Old 07-16-2012, 10:56 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Just in case anybody thinks a capacity placard of any size would have prevented the idiot who allowed 27 people to board his 34’ boat, the answer is “Hell no.” And just in case you believe Chuck that the Coast Guard (or any other law enforcement branch) couldn’t have pulled that idiot over and cited him for some existing law, you’re wrong there too. They do it all the time right now. Yes, this tragedy could have been prevented with existing laws.
Old 07-16-2012, 11:16 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So is this in addition to the yellow sticker near the helm on my boat that already says the capacity? What is the name of the new agency to regulate this?
Old 07-16-2012, 11:35 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Are Chucky Schumer and Biden related?
Both are Idiots.

This is the Job for Water Cops , A decal will not stop anything .
Old 07-16-2012, 11:45 AM
Registered

More dumb laws for more dumb people.......normal guy gets screwed.

Old 07-16-2012, 12:25 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Too Stroked
Yep Chuck is a piece of work alright, anything he can do to get on the nightly news he will do... i love his "zone pricing" gasoline law he came up with a few years, so far it hasnt done jack from what i see. go 4 miles from my house and gas is 20 cent a gallon less, his law was supposed to stop that!! yeah right!

BTW too stroked, I was the one talking to you at braddocks on friday afternoon! hope you had a good day!
Old 07-16-2012, 12:33 PM
Registered

Default Holy Cow...

...this won't be popular!

I really don't think it is that bad of an idea! But then I think there should be a mandatory boating course or test everyone should take before they buy or drive a boat!

Do I think the capacity notice would have prevented the accident in the LI Sound from happening? An extremely cautious "maybe".

And before I get called a Charles Schumer fan, a liberal democrat or a Judas, I am none of the aforementioned!

I feel very great sorrow and concern for the families of the youngsters. I also feel sorry for the "captain".

"Despite wide public attention, officials say state laws in New York don't address the problem of overcrowding on recreational boats." This is basically not true. There is no specific "overcrowding" laws, there are "safety" laws, especially available to the DNR types of agencies. And while the families of the victims have said they are not contemplating any legal action, what of the State of New York for child endangerment and manslaughter.

The fact Silverton is no longer in business really means nothing. That would be tantamount to filing a complaint against Ford because the guy who hit you from the rear was driving a Mustang. Yes, they could be sued, but it wouldn't stand.

For just a little digression:
And while I am certainly not promoting it, if you read most state laws, if the DNR of a state would determine that (as an example) a performance boat is over powered and unsafe, they could have it removed from the water. That's why events like with "My Way" on the St Lawrence this spring should be a concern to all of us who enjoy performance boating. My fear has to do with the old "slippery slope".

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.