Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Weekend Storm Adventure (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/281236-weekend-storm-adventure.html)

85scorpion 07-23-2012 08:13 AM

Weekend Storm Adventure

I recently got a new to me boat, a 1987 Glastron CVX-20, and went out yesterday on our regular boating trip and did a little morning cruise then went to a beach bar called Shepherds and had a couple drinks, and had a good relaxing afternoon. The typical afternoon thunderstorms started rolling in about 4pm so we decided to go around the storm and head to a different spot for an hour or so. So we load back into the boat, head out and start making our way north along Clearwater beach. We didn't make it a mile before the wind picked up, the storm started moving faster, and spreading out. The waves steadily became 3-4' rollers, and then shortly after came the rain. As we were trying to get through the channel with the rollers something got knocked loose, and the motor started to miss pretty bad. My closest point of refuge was Pier 60 on Clearwater Beach. I managed to get in between two pylons underneath the pier and lined the side of the boat with life jackets, and bumpers and rode out about 25 min of the storm. At least this way we were out of the rain and immediate danger in the open water. The storm broke for a couple of minutes so with the engine still missing and hobbling along we idled out from under the pier and beached it. I took the cowling off to take a look and found not one but TWO spark plug wires had come loose off of the ignition coils. I put them back on and test fired and it ran just fine. We waited out the next 30 min or so until there was clear sky on the horizon and jumped back in the boat and heading towards the boat ramp....It was just our luck that right as we got back to where we first started, Shepherds, it starts pouring again and the wind picked back up. So again we beached the boat and hung out there for an hour or so until it was clear and calm enough for us to make the cruise back to the boat ramp. I guess the moral of the story is, just hang out at the bar and everything will be ok? It was kind of nice though to see what the boat can do, it was the first real test I have put it through since I have only had it for a month or so. I am slightly worried about why the spark plug wire popped off, I get that I was hitting some big waves and it was a rough ride but that just doesn't seem right, has anyone else had this issue? They are aftermarket, pre-made wires. Could that be the cause? Any other stories of engine failure in a bad situation, stuck in a storm etc?

Jason

rchevelle71 07-23-2012 08:20 AM

I tie wrap mine on, had one or 2 pop off over the years.

85scorpion 07-23-2012 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by rchevelle71 (Post 3736575)
I tie wrap mine on, had one or 2 pop off over the years.

I thought about that last night, just wasn't sure if there is room to go behind the ignition coil with it