Someone Had A Bad Day On Lake St. Clair Yesterday >

Someone Had A Bad Day On Lake St. Clair Yesterday

Notices

Someone Had A Bad Day On Lake St. Clair Yesterday

Old 07-24-2012, 11:54 AM
Registered

Received 607 Likes on 275 Posts

Originally Posted by 4bus
I don't know the area, but I was wondering why there is not one maker in view from any of the pictures.
There are a series of small buoys marking the entrance to the channel. You need to use the chartplotter and be really careful not to miss the buoys. This boat was just north of the channel and Sand Island is just to the south. I'm getting pretty good at navigating this area. If you don't have a chartplotter it is wise to go around the south side of Sand Island and enter the delta through the main channel by Gull Island.
Old 07-24-2012, 11:56 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I HATE entering the Middle Channel for that very reason. Leaving out of it, I'm ok, but going in, I'm not confident. That guy looks like he's stuck but good.
Old 07-24-2012, 06:02 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by freckles
I HATE entering the Middle Channel for that very reason. Leaving out of it, I'm ok, but going in, I'm not confident. That guy looks like he's stuck but good.
I have avoided going in that way, and only came out once.....just not worth it if I'm not following someone with a clue.
Old 07-24-2012, 06:08 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Oucch...prop shafts...struts...rudders...props...WOW...Big Check foe somebody...hopefully they have a low deductible.
Old 07-24-2012, 06:11 PM
Registered

Received 734 Likes on 329 Posts

I always, always followed the navigation cans going into the channel from the lake. The only problem was finding the first pair of cans on a hazy day.
ed
Old 07-24-2012, 06:38 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I only go in the cut from the main channel.
Old 07-24-2012, 06:56 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

----Even the Gull Island cut can fool the uninitiated. Knee deep if too far to the east and only a bit deeper on the west side. Also plenty of cans for the freighter channel that can confuse ya from a distance!!!......Bill S
Old 07-24-2012, 07:44 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by olredalert
----Even the Gull Island cut can fool the uninitiated. Knee deep if too far to the east and only a bit deeper on the west side. Also plenty of cans for the freighter channel that can confuse ya from a distance!!!......Bill S
Yup. Been through there many times. It can be a headache if your not spot on.
Old 07-24-2012, 08:22 PM
Registered

Location: Northern, KY (Cincinnati) Lake St Clair, MI Norris Lake, TN
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rlj676
I have avoided going in that way, and only came out once.....just not worth it if I'm not following someone with a clue.
+1. I always take the long way home. We're in one of the canals by Deckers. From the Moot or Gull, I'll take the lake or South all the way back to the river. I avoid the middle...especially this year.
Old 07-24-2012, 08:52 PM
Registered

Default I have been around many hard grounders.

I would challenge there is more going on here then just a simple hard grounder.

If it were simply a grounder, the stern should not be at such an angle. In normal circumstances, the stern would be afloat, not obviously squatted.

Whether it hppened as a result of the grounding, don't know, but I think there might be a chance he had a problem arise and he put the boat on the sand to prevent further damage.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.