Is Checkmate the New Baja? >

Is Checkmate the New Baja?

Notices

Is Checkmate the New Baja?

Old 07-25-2012, 12:54 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Keytime
This is why, for my first performance boat, I picked a Checkmate over a Baja. That and the slight edge on speed. That and I didn't want the same make that everyone else out there has. No offense to Baja, as they make some nice boats and they're styling was more up-to-date than Checkmate, IMO. This point didn't matter to me. I'm a bit of a bare-bones kinda person.

To address the thread... I hope that Checkmate keeps their distinction. If everything coming out looks like a Baja before too long, I'll be bummed for sure. Most importantly, I hope the build quality remains up to the Combs' standards.

My $.02.
X2. That's one of the reasons I went checkmate. Really no one has one here.
Old 07-25-2012, 02:34 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by matthewr
X2. That's one of the reasons I went checkmate. Really no one has one here.
+1 on that. The only time I see another Checkmate is when I do the annual trip to KY Lake (matthewr, I've seen you roaming those waters) or to Cumberland, where every brand ever built is represented in some form or fashion.
Old 07-25-2012, 02:37 PM
Registered

Are checkmates hand-laid or do they use a chopper gun?
Old 07-25-2012, 02:45 PM
jln
Registered

Hand laid, balsa cored . with a 10 yr hull warranty. hand made boats kinda a semi production boat IMO . very respectable build quality for the money. check out there website @ checkmate power boats ..they discuss the build process
Old 07-25-2012, 06:39 PM
Registered

Received 86 Likes on 24 Posts

I can tell you Checkmate is alive and well. They are selling alot of outobard powered Pulsare 2100 and 2400's. The new 26' Checkmate recently hit the water and the much anticipated 43' Punisher is almost compete. Checkmate's classic muscle boat styling still exists with some nice modern upgrades to their interiors and rigging! Doug Smith has incorporated some of the old Baja molds into production to broaden market appeal and retain some of the old Baja customers. I'm a die-hard Checkmate fan and am currently restoring a very rare 28' twin outboard powered Checkmate. I wish Doug, Kip and Mike great selling into the future!!
Old 07-26-2012, 04:45 PM
Custom Interiors & More

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by VetteLT193
People bought Bajas because of the price. They really aren't the best looking boats until you see what you get for the money.

They seem to have lost that focus... a new 23 outlaw with a 377 Mag runs something like 90k. add in some options and you are over 100 grand on a brand that is perceived as a price point performance boat.

Checkmate appears to be far less money... so if they stay true to the bang for the buck category they will do very well.
What is the price difference between the 26 footers in the photos? I like the Checkmate bolsters better.
Old 07-26-2012, 06:26 PM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by XT-Innovator
I like the Checkmate bolsters better.
Ya think? The baja ones look like they came out of a 1979 Scarab.....I think its safe to say the new Baja is lost without you XT
Old 07-30-2012, 11:06 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by 4bus
Ya think? The baja ones look like they came out of a 1979 Scarab.....I think its safe to say the new Baja is lost without you XT
Hey! Dont be dogging the 79 Scarab!
Old 07-31-2012, 10:49 AM
Registered

There is definitely a void in the market without Baja. Checkmate has a chance to capitalize on a portion of that market.

Personally, I don't see Checkmate selling enough boats to ever be "the new Baja". Dealer philosophy has changed along with the banking industry. The changes are unfavorable to large volume IMO.

They are changing the product line in some good ways, I just hope that they do not go too far with the changes and leave the loyal Checkmate customers behind.

HD
Old 07-31-2012, 12:07 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 771 Likes on 352 Posts

Dumb comment here, but isn't that the market that got hit the hardest - the middle income market who were buying these boats? Is it really that Baja has left the void, or is it that economic circumstances of the middle market have left the void??

I mean let's face it the big guns who are walking in and plunking down 1+M for a Nor-Tech, Skater, Cig, MTI really aren't worried about some of the pieces of the puzzle that the middle market is worried about (financing, price point, etc....)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.