Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Hayim In For Long Island Run in Early August, Out for Aronow Event (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/281756-hayim-long-island-run-early-august-out-aronow-event.html)

Stormrider 08-01-2012 12:15 PM

It's the Around Long Island Run... not Race.

AIR TIME 08-02-2012 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by Smarty (Post 3743114)
Multiple boats can show up for an event it is called a race, in an attempt to break a record. One boat goes it alone and tries to break a record, like Gentry from England to the USA, or Dr. Bob Magoon, George Morales or Pepe Nunez from Miami to New York, or Howard Arneson down the Mississippi River but other boats were not present and participating the record breakers new record should not count? Flawed logic. That appears to be what I get out of the previous post either directly or impliedly.

I disagree with the previous posts, what is their to be scared of, he takes his CAT out there, with his hopefully reliable Mercury power and breaks the record, what's the problem? Is it because it is not an OL? Get over it. Records are meant to be broken, I do not care when you do it just do it! It is the same body of water, the same distance, ....call it race if you want multiple boats participating, he is going for a record just like any other race-record setter has done in the past. Maybe he breaks it , or maybe he fails, but at least he tried, and for him just making that attempt - good for him. I wish I had the resources and the boat capable of trying to break the record. And if you haven't figured it out by now, the record breakers always seem, and are the wealthy, with great resources comes great results (or potentially great results).

As Jimmy Spencer would say on the Speed Channel, "you all need the crying towel." Let anyone who wants to try the break the record do it whenever they want, but I do like the Around Long Island Run event, to me it is now my favorite offshore event, other than Key West (which is race in miles, not against a time clock).

Pictures of the Miami to NYC record setters..what is not to understand? They raced the clock over a set distance.....tell these racers their record should not count because other boats did not participate, really?

it figures your missing the point, the last two years this was and is a multi boat RACE. on a SET DATE and NOT, what ever day looks flattie out oh joy. so as posted who gives a phuck what stuwie does in Aug in his sandbox. the real men will show up and race against each other on a set day. why cause its a RACE. this was restarted 2 years ago as a race. not a single boat 1 lap thingy oh joy.GET IT!!!! REAL MEN will be there in sept!! to set race records in there classes including over all winner that day. like in key west and other races.

AIR TIME 08-02-2012 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by Smarty (Post 3743214)
Thank you for the information, I am not always right, but I can live with Magoon, Nunez, and Arneson (Mississippi) as single entrants in the Miami to NYC runs. Bottomline, I have no problem with Stu Hayim running solo. Get that information, I am always open to having my memory refreshed, I cannot remember it all, if I retain 10% that would great for me.

The record setting Cigarette Dr. Bob Magoon drove, that same year my father bought a new 20' Cigarette from Don, and I met Don Aronow, memorable year for a nine year old (I was nine years old at the time).

so can we they were set up as a single boat event, again LI was restarted as long distance racing like in the old days, NOT A SINGLE EVENT . ITS BEEN RUN AS A MULTI BOAT RACE 2 YEARS IN A ROW!!! and this will be the 3rd year as a multi class race, with more than one boat.

T2x 08-02-2012 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by AIR TIME (Post 3744613)
it figures your missing the point, the last two years this was and is a multi boat RACE. on a SET DATE and NOT, what ever day looks flattie out oh joy. so as posted who gives a phuck what stuwie does in Aug in his sandbox. the real men will show up and race against each other on a set day. why cause its a RACE. this was restarted 2 years ago as a race. not a single boat 1 lap thingy oh joy.GET IT!!!! REAL MEN will be there in sept!! to set race records in there classes including over all winner that day. like in key west and other races.

On the other hand.....

Stuart set his record around the Island originally at least 15 years after and 25 years before any other organized races actually existed.

I think Billy and the NPBA also recognised some other guy's attempt two years ago about a week after NPBA's own event? Unfortunately (fortunately?) that attempt ended in failure.

I also suggest that you attend the August event so you can personally question Stu Hayim, Joey Imprescia and John Tomlinson's respective manhoods. Now that will create a true "old School" competitive atmosphere even if only one boat is involved....... :D

Lighthouse 08-02-2012 06:29 PM

It's the Around Long Island Run... not Race.
Says everything; well put! Unfortunately, a common unknown and perhaps ignored complex issue.

fobes 08-02-2012 09:59 PM

I also suggest that you attend the August event so you can personally question Stu Hayim, Joey Imprescia and John Tomlinson's respective manhoods. Now that will create a true "old School" competitive atmosphere even if only one boat is involved.......

:lolhit:

Smarty 08-02-2012 10:25 PM

I did not miss the point at all, I just disagree with you. That seems to be a reoccuring issue with you for some reason. And the words in CAPS and multiple exclamation points, that is what teenagers do and I take that as a sign of disrespect, I get your point, I just do not agree let's leave it at that. My position-opinion will not change.

And it appears, that there are others in this thread who also "missing the point." What is your chief complaint, though not explicitly stated, really about? Maybe the OL record being broken ? Get out the crying towel, because a catamaran has a high degree of probability of breaking the record. And before you get your balls in a bunch, I am just busting chops to a degree (the "crying towel"), not disrespecting you.

Smarty 08-02-2012 11:10 PM

it figures your missing the point, the last two years this was and is a multi boat RACE. on a SET DATE and NOT, what ever day looks flattie out oh joy. so as posted who gives a phuck what stuwie does in Aug in his sandbox. the real men will show up and race against each other on a set day. why cause its a RACE. this was restarted 2 years ago as a race. not a single boat 1 lap thingy oh joy.GET IT!!!! REAL MEN will be there in sept!!

to set race records in there classes including over all winner that day. like in key west and other races

The LI Run is now the LI Race, with the title of race, boats against boats, setting records, just like Key West.....I understand your point, so there will be a race winner, and records are secondary. In Key West no gives a sh*t if you set a course record, only if you are World Champion that is what matters most. The day the 31' Sonic won the LI Race I do not remember his total elasped time, I only remember that he won. So what is statement objective of the LI Run? I would guess it is, "for powerboats to gather to compete against one another in a long distance race fo 271 miles around Long Island, New York, with a winner being decide when the first boat crosses the finish line."

Mr. Hayim is only trying to set a record, not win a race, he has already won many races in his lifetime. So if he breaks the record, what's the problem? Time and distance, time and distance.....the clock will judge success, not a checkered flag.

I do not think he is undermining-minimizing, or avoiding competition, he is only trying to break a record on his terms. I get it, you may not think I get it but I get.

Stormrider 08-04-2012 09:05 AM

Haters....

2 Attachment(s)
Someone is getting ready!!!

fobes 08-04-2012 09:15 AM

Nice.
Good luck to Stuart and John.
Matt