Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
West Palm Beach to Grand Bahama IS? >

West Palm Beach to Grand Bahama IS?

Notices

West Palm Beach to Grand Bahama IS?

Old 07-10-2002, 04:07 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default West Palm Beach to Grand Bahama IS?

I was wondering if any body could tell me how far it is from West Palm Beach to Grand Bahama IS, Has anyone ever made this trip by boat?
Old 07-10-2002, 04:19 PM
ViperOne

it's about 70 miles to west end which is the end of grand bahama. you can clear customs at either xanadu marina or port lucaya which add another 20 miles to the trip. port lucaya is alot better facility with alot more to do around it. xanadu is pretty secluded from everything.

Old 07-10-2002, 04:40 PM
DJD
Registered

Ive done the WPB- Port Lucaya trip several times. ALOT of fun!!
Make Lucaya your home base & do a few day trips around the Island or even run out to Walkers Cay for a day or two
Old 07-10-2002, 05:07 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Hoping to do the trip at the end of the summer. We may need to talk, a few of my friends from Cleveland area will be bringing their boats down for the trip and its a possibility you may know them.
Old 07-10-2002, 05:20 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I thought about making this run last year. Would anyone have reservations about doing it in a 30 footer with twins?
Old 07-10-2002, 05:35 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

THRILLSEEKER,

This is usually a weekend trip, that would be 3-4 days, from down here... West end is a 70 mile jaunt and Lucaya is about 90... If it would ever stop raining and blowing down here I would be happy to provide you more updated information... Lucaya is most definately one of the better places and with little hassle coming and going... I would reccomend the Lucayan Marina which is very
new with clean facilities, a ferry to take you to the hotel and most important a bar with a pool... The reef is coming back quite well with tie off lines so that you do not even need to anchor in waters from 10 ft to 100 ft... If you plan to go further the Lucayan Waterway cuts through the island with access to Walkers or the Abbacos... Try this site for a quick look... If I can help at all please do not hesitate...

www.lucayanmarinavillage.com

Tnx, Karl

PS... KamaScarab30... give it a go... If they are both running fine I would not give it a second thought... SeaTow and Customs fly and monitor the waters like a glove... The trick will be to stop going once you start... Only thing is that if you are 30 ft or longer you need a US Customs sticker...
Old 07-10-2002, 06:05 PM
Registered

Do you guys think that I could make it with a 28 footer with strong running SBC's on 82gallons of gas?

Everybody tells me that I am crazy for even thinking about making this trip in my boat. My only concern is running out of gas.
Old 07-10-2002, 07:24 PM
Registered

Thrill...you could certainly make Bimini if you were worried about fuel.. just don't miss i t ....it's a haul to the next port ...Europe I think they call it... We used to do Bimini all the time in a twin 25 Pursuitt
Old 07-10-2002, 07:28 PM
Platinum Member

56 nautical miles from Lake Worth Inlet (Palm Beach) to the Old Bahama Bay hotel on West End. Try their web page, they've even plotted it out for you. I had a friend stay there over the 4th of July. He loved it. I would not have any reservations about making thetrip woth a twin engined anything over 25' in length.

www.oldbahamabay.com

If there is a Bahama's party forming let me know.......

Mike
Old 07-11-2002, 08:18 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

THRILLSEEKER...

Just remember you can always throw a couple of gas containers in the back for safety and it may be a good idea to go along with someone else if you or your passengers are concerned... Bimini and West End are fine places, however, a bit short of facilities...
Old Bahama Bay is quite new but about the only thing there and the $100 taxi ride to Lucaya may also cause issue...

Tnx, Karl

PS... and the gas is approx $3 per gallon...